Gas or Electric?

DontGetLemon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hay Guys,

Im brand new to airsoft. I dont own my own guns yet but I will be buying a pistol and rifle next month. Pistol is easy... gas blow back. What im stuck on and need help and advice with is, do i buy a gas gun or electric?

Ive looked around, watched a ton of vids and my inital thoughts are that I want a gas gun. But I would like the find out a few more things.

What sort of costs am I looking at to run a gas gun? From looking at the gas gun I want they recommed green gas, they sell 3 bottles for £20. How long would 1 bottle last? If the mag holds 30 rounds, how many mag fills could i get out of a single bottle? Im sure there is no exact number but just a rough idea.

Also, Ive seen some imformation about cleaning gas rifles every now and then, do i need to buy any special cleaning stuff? What sort of costs am i looking at?

It seems the electric guns are cheaper to buy and I guess you only need to charge it so the cost are low.

Anyway, any help, advice or tips would be great.

Thanks

I prefer gas guns, but use an electric rifle. A gas is more realistic imo, is easier to maintain (less internal parts and easier to breakdown) and the cleaning takes a few minutes.

The reason i moved away from gas is the amount of fire power i didnt have. as far as im aware the only way to to hold more than 30 rounds in a gbb is to use a hpa tank and be connected via a tube to the gun. Not for me. So i use an electric and run 140 round mags.

The running costs should only end up being a 5er or so extra a game i reckon. Mostly the choice comes down to personal preference over anything

hope this helps

I have both gas and electric and continue to use both.

For electric you need 1-2 batteries (spare to make sure you get through the day) a charger and ammo. They are easy to maintain and easy to use. You have a gun that sounds like a sewing machine but that will be the same with most other players out on the field.

For gas you need to buy a maintenance kit which is various silicone oils and grease and to clean the gun regularly. Rags and cotton buds are easily found around the house. If you get a GBB pistol the same cleaning routine should be applied to the rifle too, probably more often as the rifle will probably shoot a lot more than the pistol.

The main running cost of GBB rifles is the gas and the initial outlay. Each mag holds 30-40 rounds depending on the gun/model. A pistol mag usually holds enough gas for 1-1.5 mags of bbs. A rifle mag will hold enough for 2, maybe 3 mags of ammo. Due to the low capacity you will need several mags which are usually around £50 a pop. They are also heavy so carrying several around can be a bit of a drag. I can't really say how many refills a 700ml gas bottle will give me but it will last me at least 3-4 games.

Propane is an option if the cost of green gas is a big factor but you need to remember to add silicone oil.

My personal recommendation is to go electric, at least until after winter. Gas is less effective in the cold. Also it'll give you a feel of what airsoft is all about and what other options are available.

• Supporters

I'd go electric first. It takes some times to learn to play well using semi auto only and you won't be able to spam shots like you could if you were using 100+ round mid caps or high cap mags.

I'm not saying you can't use full auto with gas guns before anyone says that, you just won't have the magazine capacity for it to be practical as a play style like it is with an AEG.

I'm fairly new to this sport and started on electric with a mate. Since getting my ukara I went and bought a gun I love the vector which is a GBB and if I'm honest I love it far more than my electric UMG or M4.

I think the whole feel and sound of the package makes you feel a bit giddy when using it. The cons are

Smaller mags

Gas usage

Weight

Maintenance

I use the nuprol red gas for cold and it worked fine last week emptied a 49rd mag on full auto no problems, and if red struggles I think there is a black gas version.

The smaller mags are a bit of a pain but you play differently I got more kills with the gbb than I normally get with the electric and I put it down to picking my shots better rather than a line of cover fire.

The weight of the mags is fairly harsh though I have 7 vector mags and they do weigh a fair bit.

I'm still learning so maintenance so far has been spraying moving parts with oil and keeping gas in mags but I'm sure ill move into greater depth as time goes on.

I think what people are saying is right start with an electric one and see if people at your site use gas have a look at them ask their opinions and make an informed choice.

I love gas my mate who joined at same time doesn't like them his pistol mags are leaking as is his shotgun *touch wood* mine are fine

Its chalk and cheese I guess

Start with an electric gun. Don't worry about a pistol straight away.

That's good advice I bought a pistol immediately when I started and struggled a lot because I bought the wrong gas for my enviroment

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.