Advice on goggles with built-in fan or fan kit

Jedi_Master

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Moderators

shame its not in tan....or is it, ive not looked in depth yet as just got on here! haha

is the bob stuff any good for goggles?, still tempted by the basic des loc fans....although FMA have a set now, similar to smiths lens (but needs cutting to fit)

had similar issues, normal day in October, V12s were fine, in December, used both the rev ants and V12s and drips more than fog...have now removed foam so will see how Saturdays game goes.....

but it is time to invest I think for a better game experience :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought a pair of cheaper ESS copies which on first inspection seem rather good. Very nice carry case, very clear lenses (one clear one sunglasses) with no micro scratches and they are comfy too. The fan also has two power settings so you can leave the minimum setting running all day and they are so quiet I have to look at the fan to check if it's on (slight purr on the max setting).

However I haven't used them at a game but I will on Sunday and will let you know how they perform. They were £35 so it's not the end of the world if they disappoint.

• Root Admin

I have just bought a pair of cheaper ESS copies which on first inspection seem rather good. Very nice carry case, very clear lenses (one clear one sunglasses) with no micro scratches and they are comfy too. The fan also has two power settings so you can leave the minimum setting running all day and they are so quiet I have to look at the fan to check if it's on (slight purr on the max setting).

However I haven't used them at a game but I will on Sunday and will let you know how they perform. They were £35 so it's not the end of the world if they disappoint.

Are they properly rated too?

Well if anyone is questioning or on the fence about buying the dye i4 then don't hesitate.

Absolutely bloody brilliant.

In the dry and in the rain today with me sweating like a paedophile in a playground and not a hint of fogging. Got hit several times directly on the lens which tbh is a little disconcerting when you see the BB coming at the last minute!

If I had any criticism at all then t would be putting it back on for a new game with soggy foam is gross, but that is being really really picky.

If I had any criticism at all then t would be putting it back on for a new game with soggy foam is gross, but that is being really really picky.

If you mean, for a new game, on a day which you already used it, there are things you can do to mitigate that. Heck, even kitchen roll between games has a positive effect.

Are they properly rated too?

I can't find what ballistic rating they which is annoying but they are but they are definitely a tougher polycabonate than my other rated goggles. I don't have any worries with them myself but I understand many people not wanting them without knowing the rating. Anecdotally though I can say I took several shots to the goggles no problem at close range and by snipers shooting 0.40 and it didn't leave a mark (I tested them myself before using them too).

Here's a video review:

Sunday was an incredibly humid and murky day so it was a great day to put them to the test especially as I was running around a great deal. The fan worked 90% well I would say although as they are so quiet I managed to accidentally switch the fan off and didn't realise until my goggles were steaming up. However even with the fan on the max setting I did get some fogging around the edges when I was particularly warm so they aren't a magic bullet, still a 100X improvement on my others though.

I did find that I had to blow on the fan to get it moving the first time, possibly as they are new but something to look out for and probably a sign of the lesser quality than ESS, but at about a 1/3 of the price I expected some compromise.

• Moderators

I see, those ones. They do another set, similar to smiths optics, review on Airsoftpeak didn't rate them, these have a side fan?

I found my rev turbos had some fogging issues on low setting but I did have a helmet on which I may need to cut a hole in the material near forehead...,

Well if anyone is questioning or on the fence about buying the dye i4 then don't hesitate.

Absolutely bloody brilliant.

In the dry and in the rain today with me sweating like a paedophile in a playground and not a hint of fogging. Got hit several times directly on the lens which tbh is a little disconcerting when you see the BB coming at the last minute!

Where did you get them from? How much did you pay?

They look just what I'm looking for.

How did you find the breathing? Was it at all restrictive?

• Moderators

I thought they were around £35??, otherwise I'd pay that bit extra for ESS/REVS/Smiths to be sure they don't fail and the quality..... Curious now

I bought two pairs, one was £89 the other was £114 (the cheaper one was for my son and mine had a fancy tinted lens because I am a tart.

Breathing is fine, much of the time it feels like you have no lower mask on at all which is very nice. I bought from BZ paintball, great service!

• Head Moderator

I think the Dye i4 mask is excellent and would recommend them. I bought mine on Amazon from BZ Paintball Supplies Ltd for £75 (free P&P), which saved about 25% off the normal price. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FY5NB0C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

• Moderators

What dye i4's? No they go for between £100 - £140 depending on lens' etc

Nope, sorry, the FMA goggles :), think wires got crossed

I see, those ones. They do another set, similar to smiths optics, review on Airsoftpeak didn't rate them, these have a side fan?

I found my rev turbos had some fogging issues on low setting but I did have a helmet on which I may need to cut a hole in the material near forehead...,

Was this the review you saw?

http://www.airsoftpeak.com/ballistic-goggle-updated-version-safety-goggle-black-p-14587.html

The tan colour seems to have better feedback:

http://www.airsoftpeak.com/ballistic-goggle-updated-version-safety-goggle-dark-earth-p-14588.html

However these aren't identical as mine have the fan at the top of the goggles, which makes a lot more sense so it clears both sides evenly.

By the way I did say £35 but you can get them cheaper if you don't mind waiting for them to be delivered from China, probably over £10 less. I wanted them for last weekend though and as I was slightly sceptical about them thought a UK seller was a wise idea in case I needed t return them.

• Moderators

Not sure, I'll look at home later, sure the fan was top mounted on the review, think it was French, guy said he used a 400 fps on them, marked goggles 5 times do I wasn't sure if to buy. Found them in uk for 35 ascwell

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.