Let's talk tactics

Matto2494

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I've just been for my first CQB at strikeforce in gloucster. Had an amazing time but go shot lots! This was expected.

So let's talk tactics. What tactics do you use in CQB? Towards the end of the day I wasn't so gun ho and a little more stealth and tactics.

All I have played is cqb this seems to work well for me

Never run or move without gun up always have the gun vaguely pointing where you are looking helps with snap shots or unexpected guests

Corner checking cant stress that enough majority of my deaths are because of this

Patience as well if you hear enemies but not sure where go low and wait until your sure what direction they are in

If in a group of 2 or 3 always have one on your shoulder and one watching your rear

It's hard to really give tactics

If I'm going round a blind corner that I can't poke my head around I'll use a grenade and run at same time idea being when grenades goes bang you are round corner firing got many a kill this way

Shoot them before they shoot you.

Simple really.

You just won the internet with that

:D

Strikeforce is a great site. I think sometimes playing attacking and having no fear will go a long way. Just go round a corner and shoot. Most the times when a game gets stagnant is when people are worried about getting shot. Outdoors is completely different and I use much more stealth.

For me, it's always to move faster than the enemy expects you to move. Of a flank is opened up for a moment, get behind the bad guys before they realise.

I shoot more people in the back than the front in cqb

Low n Slow is me.... No point rushing to the battles.. In CQB the action tends to be spread out in little pockets, so low n slow gets me to the action then I skirt around the edges, I tend not to rush doorways or bottlenecks as unless loads of people join you in the rush you WILL get picked off and not take the room, so I like to stay on the fringes and surprise groups on their way from spawns to the action or loud groups wandering around

Hard to offer solid tactics, so I'll offer a few common scenarios and their basic principals.

Patience is definitely key to successful sneaky bastardry, and this is the best way to shoot more people than you get shot (perhaps often not best to win objectives/points, might have to leave your team to do that while you increase their chances with lots of kills). Also not wasting valuable time to revel in shooting people/ capturing an area when you could be making a decent advantage and many more kills from it.

During a game people will develop an idea of what areas are controlled by them and what by the other team. The further away from the front lines you go, the more complacent people get, and a couple corridors/rooms away they'll all just be casually strolling up the the front lines guns pointing at the floor, unless they're new to the site and don't know where they are lol. It's better to keep sneaking further behind the lines and clear a whole room of people than move parallel and only get a couple. So after you get past the front line you're free to rush around more, as your unlikely to encounter someone waiting for you/camping a doorway etc, just unprepared strollers.

In this manner if you can defeat/sneak-past/let-go-past-you an initial group to get past the front-line, you can then shoot lots of people guns down strolling up to it while you dash through to another section of the front-line and shoot them all in the back because no-one's covering the door/direction their team is coming from.

To achieve you might have to let people pass you while hidden in a corner etc. But again patience is key, if you hear someone coming, why pop out and engage them (and probably get them due to surprise) when you can let them and their team-mates pass and shoot all 3 in the back. Then if you can dash through to where they came from before they start walking back, their team won't have seen it happen so wont be expecting enemy coming through where they just saw their team push into. It's all a judgement call based on whether you have space/time/opportunity.

Gun ho tactics are best used when there's a corridor stalemate or similar. You'll probably get shot more than you shoot in these situations, but the sooner this stalemate is resolved by one team pushing more than the other, the sooner you can get back to being a sneaky bastard.

One point I'll make is about the 'casual strollers' is this is in my experience when people cheat the most in airsoft. If someones strolling up to the front line in a zone they consider their teams/safe and they feel a hit, their first assumption isn't going to be 'oh my god the other teams pushed forward this far', it'll be 'oh god some muppet on my team who doesn't know where they are has shot me, i'll ignore it'. I've found it's 50/50 at best to whether they'll take the hit without you having to point yourself out to them. I've lost count of the number of times the opp has responded with 'wtf are you doing' or 'i'm on your team' and me have to say 'i'm shooting you, i'm on the green team' or 'no we're not, I'm green and you're dead'. A best-case scenario is someone taking the hit but not realizing it was you or you're on the opp team and storming back to respawn muttering about team-killers, as that wont spoke the rest of them. To me it seems like the CQB equivalent of the common woe of snipers in woodland skirmish.

I have the luxury of a site where there's many available routes and much potential for flanking, I'm not sure what it's like at strike-force but might be a bit linear/square from the looks of it, and much harder to get past the 'front'line'.

So yeah, basically try be patient and maximize the potential for shooting lots of people in a sneaky/cowardly fashion, rather than spend your advantage on shooting one/two in a fair fight.

As you can imagine I am much loved for such tactics at my local CQB site, and the average airsofter is mature enough to not get emotionally frustrated about being shot in the back a dozen dif times, certainly not to the point where they'll bitch or even make false claims of having hit you when they do finally get a 1vs1 fair opportunity (which you gotta agree to as why not give the guy something to keep their ego balanced, unless they're well rude, then they can go f*ck themselves and waste a marshals time following me around for a game if they really feel the need)

I find a lot of it depends on what weapons you're using.

Military tactics seldomly work in cqb. You tend to find your own niche after several skirmishes.

I just go with the flow really... as long as you're having fun nothing else matters.

• Supporters

Low n Slow is me.... No point rushing to the battles.. In CQB the action tends to be spread out in little pockets, so low n slow gets me to the action then I skirt around the edges, I tend not to rush doorways or bottlenecks as unless loads of people join you in the rush you WILL get picked off and not take the room, so I like to stay on the fringes and surprise groups on their way from spawns to the action or loud groups wandering around

Total opposite I rush everything and go as aggressive as possible in CQB.

Works for me and if you can get a couple of players to go the same you can really change a game.

One player can clear a room if you do it right.

• Head Moderator

For me, it's always to move faster than the enemy expects you to move. Of a flank is opened up for a moment, get behind the bad guys before they realise.

I shoot more people in the back than the front in cqb

Patience is definitely key to successful sneaky bastardry

It's better to keep sneaking further behind the lines and clear a whole room of people than move parallel and only get a couple.

To achieve you might have to let people pass you while hidden in a corner etc.

During my last game down in the UCAP Bunker a group of us were stacked up ready to move into another corridor when one of the enemy team calmly walked from behind and doubled tapped the line of us all with a pistol. Beautiful move, we did not know he was there until hit by which time it was too late. I learnt to check my 6 more often after that incident, although in the dark you can walk past someone and not notice them (as I found out later when knife killed). It also made me think that playing a game with just pistol and stealth could be fun.

It also made me think that playing a game with just pistol and stealth could be fun.

Pistols bit too limited for my liking, as to use it primary you'll need a million clips or half the game spent hiding in a corner reloading the 3 you got. I've gone for the medium route of an MP7. In hindsight I'd probably buy a TM high-cycle MP5K instead as it's still got a decent amount of spray/pray potential, and the option to buy two and a leather jacket/shades.

Is damn good sneaky fun, but well knackering, and lack of firepower can suck sometimes, enough to tempt me back to carbine half the time. Think you gotta be a total nutter to go pistol/knife and stick with it!

Ok so tactics DONT GET SHOT.

But that's what you pay for! Can sit at home dressed in camo, stroking a gun while not getting shot for free!

Actually when i think about it is probably how most airsoft related time is spent by the majority, i retract my statement :)

If you go home without sore knees and pulled tendons/ligaments you haven't been moving fast enough. Or you just weren't daft enough to play with a fully kitted out Osprey mk4 and still run like you're in a set of trackies

My tactic is - I'm shit and will get owned in a fair 1 on 1 so I work out where enemy players are then get behind them rush up as fast as I can to take as many as possible by surprise then run away before reinforcements come, repeat. Or my local site has a great room were you can see the two ways in without the opposing team seeing you and no one bothers looking left/right so double tap to the side every time.

Wear full black kit with a climbing harness and abseil down into windows shoot everyone get shot in the leg a million times, don't call it and carry on

Just my thoughts on tactics:

1. Tuck your elbows/knees/feet in when behind cover. I've scored a lot of kills shooting these areas as people don't get fully into cover.

2. Always follow a grenade into the room. The enemy will scarper on seeing the grenade come in leaving you with the opportunity to cut them down or mop up anyone smart enough to get in cover. Throwing in a grenade without following it gains no tactical advantage as you're not gaining ground and allows the enemy to reinforce that area.

3. Avoid bottlenecks/choke points unless you're defending. Even then be wary of the attackers finding a different way around.

4. Keep noise down to a minimum. If you're engaging someone or a group who you think are on your side just have one person shout to find out. That way if it's an enemy they don't work out how many of you are there and if it's a friendly then they will hear you easier. It becomes a right cluster f*** when you have two groups shouting "We're red!" at each other and neither can hear the other because everyone's shouting.

5. Keep moving. Even in a fall back game when you're on the defence. If you stay in one spot the enemy will pick up on that and gun you down. Even by simply switching to the other side of the corridor is sometimes enough to keep them guessing. Especially if you do it after every kill.

6. Actions speak louder than words. Rather than shout "push up!" like everyone else, actually do it. Unless it's a bloody ridiculous thing to do (like rushing a choke point on your own).

• Supporters

On the subject of following grenades, it works well the other way too, if I hear an enemy grenade go off in an adjacent room I get in there ASAP, often when people rush into a room after 'banging' it they'll completely ignore the doors and look at corners. Easy meat for your counter-rush.

Playing Cqb I tend to run into which ever room or corridor the grenade came from. No one ever expects it and is normally easy pickings.

I pretty much do the same. Hurts like hell when you run into half the enemy team but you'll sure kill a lot of them first :D

Total opposite I rush everything and go as aggressive as possible in CQB.

Works for me and if you can get a couple of players to go the same you can really change a game.

One player can clear a room if you do it right.

I find one player gets shot a lot if rushing a room in my local sites.

Dont get me wrong im happy to rush into spaces trying to A) take one or two enemy out - or B) encourage the rest of the team standing around going "the baddies are in there, if I go in ima get shot"... to rush in and help clear the room.

I had a right go at my brother the other day at The Mall as there was 10 seconds countdown left on the game, the ONLY way for our team to win would be to defuse the bomb, a group of us rushed forward on 7 and he refused to follow. Afterwards he was saying "I didnt know where the bomb was and I would have got shot" and my reply was along the lines of, we had 10 seconds to try to win, if one of us moved the bomb its worth the other 8 getting shot just go for it.... But he couldnt understand my thinking and I couldnt get his... Just different approaches I suppose.

I tend to slink off and hang around spots where the enemy are complacent and take out groups and move on, I try to avoid the hotspots where I know the action usually is and get the enemy on their way to these spots...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.