New to Airsoft - Few questions!

Solado

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, Newbie here with no real clue where to start! I have a few questions about airsoft and best way to get started.

So I am from the West Midlands area and struggling to find a local airsoft store. The closest location I can find near me is in Coventry "the grange". I'd like to give airsoft a try so I am thinking about booking a day and renting a gun as I have seen some videos on youtube and it looks like great fun and something i'd be hooked on. It looks like it's £47 for a full day skirmish.

I have been looking into buying a gun if I do decide airsoft is right for me. I understand some basic terms but have no experience in weapon types / usages but I feel an electric (AEG? is it?) M4 would be the best choice for me just starting out. I have looked on a few UK stores and struggling to find anywhere with stock. Most of them say "out of stock" is it normal or do most do a "order to buy" style system?

When it comes to gun attachments like sights / magazines are they universal fittings or do some only fit certain guns ?

My Budget is around £90-£120 at the moment but I am thinking it might be worth saving more and get something with quality as opposed to getting cheaper gun which only lasts a few weeks.

Next question is any recommendation on face protection? I've seen a few on Amazon but the stock seems to be pretty restricted and I don't want to buy something that will break quickly... It seems America has a much bigger selection of equipment :ph34r:

I'm sure I will have multiple questions that come up but who knows, if I do get hooked I may bump into a few members of this forum at play sites! :D

• Supporters

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/17294-ians-guide-to-noobism-on-a-tight-budget/

welcome to forum

maybe G&G Raider @ £123 with free 2-tone at Zero One

atm due to big airsoft event their site/orders are on hold until another week I think

A lot of stuff goes out of stock as the "good weather" - pah pi$$ing down with rain

and summer holidays with new younger players getting into it

stocks will arrive soon but do NOT look at any site with BB in its name - their guns are $HIT

and you will regret it - many including myself got taken in thinking their £100 or less guns are good value

(they are crap compared to G&G, Cyma, JG, ICS etc....)

• Moderators

welcome to the forum,

Ask away, you'll get good answers and bad answers, answers you want to hear and some you don't!, a little bit of off topic for a few posts!!, but its all harmless fun!

first AEG, well seems to me the G&G Raider is the preferred starter gun and you can add to it, which is on my list with a few others anyway like the G36,, i'll ask the questions when the times comes as the batteries and charger bit is now what im trying to understand more!

eye pro, don't skimp, but again a big selection as is full/half/some face protection

all come down to what your comfy with and if you want your teeth a few hours later! :)

I have the V2 half face/ear protection and nuprol mesh goggles.....next person may only wear ballistic glasses...

Rent first and see if you like it.

They will provide you with face protection - suggest you take a hat, gloves and stout supportive boots.

If you like it, come back and dig a bit deeper.

Generally the first thing to buy is your own eye pro as often the supplied masks are not very comfortable.

Play with rental guns to start with. Get ukara then buy a black gun. When u rent ask if there are different guns that u can try.

Defo recommend a g&g raider. Good quality and a good alround gun.

Another vote for the Raider as a great starter gun.

As for face pro, I'd advise the larger nuprol mesh goggles then just a lower mesh too personally. Don't buy an all in one unit. Many people would probably recommend lenses but fogging seems to be a huge issue.

• Supporters

As for face pro, I'd advise the larger nuprol mesh goggles then just a lower mesh too personally. Don't buy an all in one unit. Many people would probably recommend lenses but fogging seems to be a huge issue.

Why not an all in one mask?

Also find the nuprol mesh the worst goggles I have ever tried. They effect your vision worse than most.

• Supporters

First things first how old are you?

Because if your under 18 the whole ukara buying a gun thing goes out the window.

If you are over 18 then as people have said go to a few games and rent.

Once you know if you like it then look at what you need. You will only know this when you have a played a few times and know how and where you want to play.

Until then everything else is irrelevant.

When you do know you will need £200 plus to get started on minimal kit.

First things first how old are you?

Because if your under 18 the whole ukara buying a gun thing goes out the window.

If you are over 18 then as people have said go to a few games and rent.

Once you know if you like it then look at what you need. You will only know this when you have a played a few times and know how and where you want to play.

Until then everything else is irrelevant.

When you do know you will need £200 plus to get started on minimal kit.

I'm 25, I have looked into Ukara and will wait until I get that sorted before I decide to buy, right now is getting a feel for things including what kind of weapon would be a good "starter". :)

I have heard shards can sometimes get through the mesh goggles and visibility can be darker at times? I do have some lenses and I will probably use those for the time being until I get a feel for equipment and try whats most comfortable.

Im on my third face pro set up. Different things work for different people. After you rent you will know if full face is for you or not. And i personally use ess v12 (a lot do) as when you gut the side foam they dont fog too bad. But fogging is a pain in the arse hence face pro mk 4 is in planning haha

• Supporters

Starting weapon will depend on how you play. Which I was I said to try a few games and go from there.

Mesh is ok you can get a bb smash and go through but all the force is taken away when it hits the mesh. Its no worse than getting grit and dust in your eye on a windy day. If you do go mesh go for the real mesh. A good fine wire interwoven it will not effect your vision as much as the perforated sheet style like the nuprol goggles.

• Supporters

Im on my third face pro set up. Different things work for different people. After you rent you will know if full face is for you or not. And i personally use ess v12 (a lot do) as when you gut the side foam they dont fog too bad. But fogging is a pain in the arse hence face pro mk 4 is in planning haha

Ever thought about one of these

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/black-bear-rampage-tan-mesh-mask1

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.