Understanding optics

Mos

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, I soon will be buying some sort of cm 16 m4 type gun with rails, and I know that'll I'll be investing in an optic, I play in a woodland site (ravens airsoft) and I need some sort of scope, I do not understand the magnification stuff, for example, if I saw a scope named "acog 1x32" I'd have no clue, and It would be cool if someone could explain the magnification stuff. Thank you.

if you do get a CM16 like i have you wont really need a scope magnification here's how scope magnification works.

In the model name "4 X 32," the number four refers to the magnification power of the scope. A 4-power scope enlarges the image four times. An 8-power scope enlarges things eight times, making it seem to be closer than when seen through a 4-power scope but the acog is not magnified as it is only 1 x 32.The number 32 refers to the size of the objective lens: 32 millimeters. The size of the lens will tell you how much light it will be able to transmit to the ocular lens. In general, larger objective lenses can transmit more light.

Thats basically how it works but since we're playing airsoft and you are getting an aeg you don't need a magnified scope unless you really want one most people on the woodland site i go to just use red dots sights or replica EO techs.

if you do get a CM16 like i have you wont really need a scope magnification here's how scope magnification works.

In the model name "4 X 32," the number four refers to the magnification power of the scope. A 4-power scope enlarges the image four times. An 8-power scope enlarges things eight times, making it seem to be closer than when seen through a 4-power scope but the acog is not magnified as it is only 1 x 32.The number 32 refers to the size of the objective lens: 32 millimeters. The size of the lens will tell you how much light it will be able to transmit to the ocular lens. In general, larger objective lenses can transmit more light.

Thats basically how it works but since we're playing airsoft and you are getting an aeg you don't need a magnified scope unless you really want one most people on the woodland site i go to just use red dots sights or replica EO techs.

Thanks, for taking time to explain optics to me! Was definitely some very good help, to me it seems I'll just get a red dot or holo. Thanks

I find that a 4x optic is really good in woodland for spotting movement and faces in foliage.

yeah, originally I was thinking 4x would be good for my woodland game. As my wood game isn't really close quarters. It's a bit further, so I still think 4x mag is right for me.

No. I agree, not to spend £70 on an acog 4x. But I would happily spend 20-30 pound on a 4x magnification lens.

• Root Admin

You're missing the point slightly: Anything with magnification that's costing you less than £60 is probably going to be naff. Even if it's not, in most games (And with almost all guns) you don't need the magnification - you'll be able to aim quicker without it.

You need an incredibly reliable setup to get the consistency to use a scope. Otherwise, your BBs are just veering off out of view and you'll have no idea where you're shooting.

This is what i got its very good for the price although the batteries are very fiddly to get in http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACOG-TA01-Style-1x32-Red-Dot-Scope-Sight-for-Airsoft-Paintball-/171908987172?hash=item280692f924 .

I think I have nearly all the different optics in one form or other.

My favourite is the ACOG or the Raytheon ELCAN - I find the magnification really useful in long range airsoft use and if you shoot with both eyes open, you keep good peripheral vision. To get decent quality on an ACOG, you will provably need to spend a bit more, I would just stay with ironsights until I had enough to buy a reasonable one.

yeah, originally I was thinking 4x would be good for my woodland game. As my wood game isn't really close quarters. It's a bit further, so I still think 4x mag is right for me.

I use a shortdot, its 1x-4x adjustable scope. It kind of gives me the best of both worlds for close up combat with the 1x and for the extent of the range firing or spotting with the 4x. Being able to see where you BBs are precisely going at long range is quite important especially in the wind. But I use 1x just as much as I use 4x even in the woodland, I wouldn't want to be without the 1x.

I have a VISIONKING 1.25-5x26 on my Scar L and it's spot on! I've gone from wasting mags of ammo trying to hit people out of range to now carrying 4 mids and a 1 Hi cap. A scope is great fun on an AEG (Unless your playstyle is to "Spray and prey").

I second the 4x for long range. Being able to see your bb in flight is the only way to reach out to the end of your range with any degree of wind without hosing down an area. If you're using an AEG, then the latter is an option. With a GBBR, you're stuck with semi auto and you need the precision that a magnified optic offers.

It does come at a cost though. Raising the gun to aim down the sight takes a little longer with magnification than with a dot sight, but in the extreme close range where it matters a lot, I don't even bother with the backup sights and I just "feel" where I'm shooting. At a push I'll turn on my torch so I can see the bb flight clearly, but for most of the time I'm either using the scope for long range, using the backup irons for the close /medium range and not bothering at all in CQB

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.