ICS diode video

n1ckh

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

There's an ICS video floating around on Facebook with a demonstration of putting a diode on a motor to increase "electric switch" life, however they don't tell you what diode rating it is (that's depending on if diodes come in different sizes)

1- what is the "electric switch" there reffering to ??

2- what would be the benefit of installing the diode across both motor legs ??

If there is any benefits then I would do this mod but need to now a the few basics about it first. My dad has said that its basicly a 1 one way component & takes out the jumping of the brushes

• Supporters

Right this may get complicated I'll try simplify it

When you pass an electrical current through a coil (say a motor) you create lines of magnetic flux (the motor rotates). When you remove the source of energy (battery via the switch/trigger) the magnetic field doesn't want to collapse so generates back emf (the motor becomes a generator) which is bad for triggers etc

Adding a sufficiently rated diode allows the back emf to disapate.

This won't save your trigger forever as a very high percentage of arching occurs when you pull the trigger etc.

A MOSFET is the best way to keep your trigger good forever etc

Cheers sp00n

It's easy to understand for me as I've grown up around mechanics, electrics & electronics :)

I'll stick with using mosfets

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.