How do you fit Airsoft around work and home life?

Raggedy_man

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I post this topic looking for advice, I want to Airsoft as often as possible but having a job where you work weekends and have one day off a week makes it very hard.

How do the people of the forum fit their passion for the sport into busy hectic lives?

Tell me damn it!

• Supporters

Don't work on a Sunday.

Cutting straight to the heart of it as ever Prof!

I'm job hunting but so many seem to want you to work weekends now.

It's hard!!!! I'm lucky if I get to go 4 times a year. I love the sport, but being on call, the wife and diy seem to take up most of my weekends. It's gutting. But on those few magical weekends you do go, god the wait is worth it 😊

Before I went last Sunday, I'd not been since February! Having shift work and family makes it hard, but plan ahead and book holiday to coincide with game days is my plan now I'm settled into the new job. If the missus and babe don't like it, they know where the door is 😁

I'm lucky to a degree I travel a lot for work do on call and such much like the others but my missus is chilled with it and I normally go on a Wednesday night.

Will see how easy it is to balance when I do a few weekends but it's my only real hobby so I make the effort when I can. Compared to RC this is a lot easier to manage

I play badminton once a week, gym twice a week, I like to cycle and airsoft as well as do call out, diy and work between 5 and 7 days a week so going 4 times a year is an achievement lol. The wife is more than happy for us to do it but there is just not enough days a year, and to top it off the site I goto only does first and 3rd Sunday of the month.

• Root Admin

Cutting straight to the heart of it as ever Prof!

I'm job hunting but so many seem to want you to work weekends now.

I think it's pretty disgusting for any company to ask you to work on a Sunday unless they're paying you a significant amount more to give up your time. It takes people away from their families, friends and hobbies - frankly, what's the point in living if you don't even get those two days off.

Really, if they're making you work weekends with no additional pay then I'd say tell them to roll it up very tightly and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

I'm new to it and don't often get weekends free due to the Mrs living 100miles away but that leaves me Thursday evenings at my local site. Once I move in with the Mrs I will have more time to play in theory and it's something I want to stick to.

• Supporters

I'm that sad this stuff is my new life - everything else is fitting around me

seriously - as the world is 25hrs & 8 days a week many of us are finding jobs are not always the 9-5 anymore

I've worked nights for 20 -25yrs and the "extra" for unsociable hours has fallen over the last 10yrs

overtime & the Sunday "double bubble" is history in many places as companies try to remain competitive

(or shaft the workers - depends which way you look at it)

Double Day shifts - have now given in to Continental Shifts - that is often brought in and sold to unsuspecting workforce

only later they realise they are working every other Saturday for flat rate & most never realised the full implications

Still - good luck to all of ya looking for work - kudos to the grafters out there whatever profession you get into

(unless you are corporate banker & a complete w@nker)

• Moderators

how do I fit it all in...well I looked into it many years ago, some on here prob in nappies then! haha....

until July this year I hadn't been to a game, now im counting down...3 weeks now...until my 2nd game

ive always been interested and read forums over the last year, I just wish I had got to a game sooner!

now I have 2 children and married with house stuff to do etc., kids to entertain etc, with wifey going back to work one day a week, as long as I tell her, she'll let me go, so im looking at atleast once every 4 to 6 weeks!, full or half day games depending....

where there's a will there's a way mate. some of the site's in the area have games on different days and evenings. airsoft should be regarded like sleep on operations in the old days get as much as you can when you can, cause you never know when the next opportunity will be. :D

I guess I'm a little different to the majority here in that I have a Mon-Fri job and that leaves my weekends free. I have 12 year old twin sons who come and stay with me every other weekend and Airsoft gives me a hobby that I can engage in with my 2 boys where previously if it didn't involve Xbox we had nothing to talk about. It means we can look forward to going somewhere together and gives me stuff to buy them for birthdays/Christmas etc.

It also means that on the weekend they're not with me I can also go and Airsoft. My wife is really into running and she'll happily go out and run while I'm out playing soldiers.

I realise I'm in a really fortunate position in that not everyone can go as often as I can so I intend to make the most of it!

Working in retail it's rare I get weekends off but I try to make at least one game a month - even if it's just a Wednesday night game.

Very tempted to "Opt out" of working Sundays but with the small team I work with this would screw everyone over.

• Head Moderator

I am lucky that my wife supports my new found hobby and knows that I would consult with her to de-conflict our diary engagements. Family has to come first and in this the Jedi Mistress is to be obeyed! However, I have so far managed to do all my chores to earn the free time, so played today but will be busy on bank holiday Monday sorting out the garage and garden regardless of weather. Work does get in the way, I work irregular shifts and weekends at least once every 5 weeks. I have scheduled some time off work to play on Wednesday evenings. At least with walk-on there is usually no pre-booking required so should allow some future flexibility to just turn up (providing my kit is prepared and packed). Most important is that my wife does not know just how much I have spent on airsoft to date.

• Moderators

'Most important is that my wife does not know just how much I have spent on airsoft to date' -

yeah that's why my 901 chest rig and other items were £40 from a place on amazon with a voucher used!.....haha

i'll keep your secret safe! :P

Fortunately I am still young at 25 and can fit it in after work on thursdays... When I can actually go! I haven't been in over 2 years because I have been busy or it was just too far. I have had to ditch other hobbies such as my guitar and archery already. I don't fancy like ditching another hobby so I will make this work :)

I have a hectic life of working away from home for half a week every week, gym and seeing the Mrs as much as I can as we don't live together yet. But I still fit in airsoft on a Sunday at least once a month. Thankfully the Mrs is ok with it and I fit it around other stuff.

• Supporters

So like some I technically work Monday to Friday, although as a teacher I generally work from home either Saturday or Sunday to get caught up. When I started my other half worked 28 days on 28 days off and lived at the company house in Gravesend when she was on shift. Weekends on months when she was off were spent with her. Weekends that fell in her work months were basically free for me to find skirmishes. Sometimes I worked it so I would airsoft on the Saturday at a site drive to Gravesend and go out for dinner and spend the night with her then get up on Sunday when she went to work and I would play the Sandpit or somewhere else close.

She has changed job and now does Monday to Friday. Occasionally she gets sent offshore like for the last month she has been in Brazil. Which means I have had an airsoft fest! Weekend milsim at Tuddenham, weekend off, weekend at tuddenham, sunday at the sandpit today. If she is still away next weekend I will play Gunman Norwich on Sunday possibly.

Mind you I pretty much had a 3 month ban before our wedding in July. I think I normally get in about one game day every 2 months.

Well I work stupid hours often including nights and the occasional saturday or weekend trips, study full time at uni, have 2 kids but still try to skirmish once a month. Granted today was my first skirmish since June, but there are plenty of sites near to me which means options on days, I can go Wed, Thurs and Sat nights and Saturdays or Sundays work depending. Plus I can swap shifts and book days off etc if I need to.

So its difficult, but I can try to fit it around other stuff. And to be fair we all need something to give us a little release from all the other crap we do so its important to make time where we can!!

When I was running about all over the place doing contract work, I was lucky if I could get a game in a month. Now, I can theoretically go every weekend (Got told off by HR on friday for working longer hours than my contract requires o.O )

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.