MilSim type even kit list ideas

Antt570

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

For some reason I'm going to my first milsim event at my local field at the end of September. I have no idea what to take!

Has anyone got a basic kitlist they use? We'll be using what we have on our backs, and no access to cars and vehicles unless an emergency. No safe zone, and no breaks from Friday night until Sunday.

Halp!

Sleeping bag ground mat/bed.

Toilet paper / Wash kit

Eye protection

Weapon (Airsoft)

Combats/trousers - correct Uniform for scenario

Webbing Tourch/Lightsticks - spare battery's

Good boots

Water bottle/rehydrator

Multi-tool / screwdriver

Rations / food available on site

From Stirling milsim

As it's in the Autumn I'd suggest adding a bivvy bag (waterproof gore-tex/canvas outer layer for sleeping bags):

m_IjTHK1praiDoa-uKGFFqg.jpg

I'd also put together a basha kit (waterproof poncho/tarpaulin in the appropriate camo, 2x bungee cords, 2x tent pegs and a roll of 'green hairy' string). My personal one is packed for the Reading festival this weekend so I can't demo how one can be put up, however here's an idea:

DSC03729.jpg

The standard format is like this; one end is pinned down by tent pegs while the other is held up by bungees wrapped around trees/hedges/fences etc. They can be tensioned by using string attached to a poncho's hood/tarp's centre webbing straps. In the daytime you'll want to take it down completely if the weather's ok, but if it's pouring it down just lower the basha on it's bungees until it touches your bergan and covers your sleeping kit completely.

You can also run a line of string between 2 trees and peg the basha down at all four corners with the string holding the centre line up. This is referred to as an 'officer's basha' and it means you need to carry more tent pegs- also more difficult to get in and out of if you're attacked in the night and you need to stand to.

If you've already decided to take a small tent then disregard this, however buying all the fixings for a basha usually works out cheaper than buying a decent 1-2 man tent. Basha kits are pretty lightweight too and take up much less room when packed up, mine is roughly 15-20cm by 12cm, 4cm thick in it's stuff sack. Most new basha tarps/ponchos will come in a little stuff sack which you can fit the pegs, string and bungees into easily.

Aside from that just take all of the kit Aengus has mentioned, some real no-brainer stuff on there which is difficult to forget.

• Head Moderator

Ammo, water, and food as priorities.

Layered clothing to adapt to weather, to stay warm and dry. Spare socks. Dry bag to keep kit dry.

Illumination and spare batteries.

Basic first aid kit, i.e. Blisters, headaches, cuts.

Toothpaste and hand sanitiser plus toilet paper .

Balance in keeping weight down, travel light, and comfort. Will there be a harbour area indoors or outside for cooking and resting , if so then you want a sleeping system and shelter.

Hydration is key regarless of weather so recommend camelback

Wet wipes.

A decent milsim organiser will, if they are running a long game like that, provide you with a list of kit as it's in their interest.

This..

But generally think about what you have and what you will need. I break things down into lists to help.

Start with a list of what skirmish bits you need and how you will transport etc.. Then think of your spares, batteries, BBs, batteries for torches, basic toolkit or multitool, electrical tape for emergency repairs etc...

Will you have a tent to dump gear in?

How about food? cos if you have to transport your own food and way of cooking things could get very heavy on your back.. Could you split stuff between a few of you? no point everyone bringing a tool kit, first aid kit and portable bbq and kitchen sink if a few of you could bring different bits of kit. I go camping a fair bit and go away with work quite a bit and we have worked out a system for different people only bringing certain things, saves everyone packing an extra bag of emergency bits we may need..

Think about it logically and take what you realistically need, its tempting to have waaaay too much stuff.

One good tip. Might seem wierd but for that time of year sleep with you guns in your sleeping bag specialy if using gbb guns, and if using gas even keep mags in with you. keeps them warm and keeps crap off them. Was a tip we were taught when I did my basic in December.

• Supporters

Depends entirely on the organiser, the site and the intensity of the game. If it's a stirling or tier 1 game you're very likely going to have to sort yourself out for everything, though if it's at somewhere like the sandpit depending on the side you're on you may end up living in buildings etc.

All very situational, absolute minimum I would recommend is a good warm sleeping bag, rollmat/campbed, waterproof jacket (that conforms to the dress requirements for the game, no bright orange regatta jackets!), 2 sets of clothing, gun, spare gun, reliable RADIO.

Stirling and tier1 both have fairly comprehensive kit lists on their websites, though again depending on the game they may be too comprehensive!

One thing I won't recommend is ration pack style food, it's something I see every newbie doing; warming up their packets of sludge over a shitty old trangia stove (or similar). Just pack some sandwiches and loads of high calorie snack foods; I like peanuts and haribo for this. If you absolutely MUST have hot food then hotdog sausages heat up really quick in boiling water.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.