water proofing cordura? or no need?

shortman

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So iv got my viper tatical boots arriving tomorow (soooo excited) and they are 1000d cordura. My question is how water resistant if atal is cordura and is there anything anyone recomeds to use to help waterproof them? Also my was plate carrier is of a simlar material. Does anyone use any waterproofing on there plate carriers atal? Not played in the mud and rain yet, but fully intend too over winter.

Iv hunted the net but cant realy find a solid answer.

• Supporters

Cordura is a type of nylon. Water won't rot it alone but as to whether or not your boots are waterproof or not - that's a whole different question.

If they are the Viper "Tactical boots" like this: http://www.viperkit.co.uk/products/footwear/tactical-boots.aspx they have a "waterproof, breathable lining"

If they are the Viper "Elite 5" boots like this: http://www.viperkit.co.uk/products/footwear/elite-5-boots-coyote.aspx they also boast a "hydroguard waterproof membrane"

If they are the Viper "Special Ops" boots like this: http://www.viperkit.co.uk/products/footwear/special-ops-boots-multicam.aspx then don't go stepping in any deep puddles. Side zips make waterproofing the uppers a bit pointless.

Yep the third ones with the side zips. Thanks for the info. Atleast i wont have to worry about rain too much, just puddles. Im only 5'3" and cant swim very well atal so tbh a deep puddle is life threatening hazzard to me anyway :D

• Supporters

Yep the third ones with the side zips. Thanks for the info. Atleast i wont have to worry about rain too much, just puddles. Im only 5'3" and cant swim very well atal so tbh a deep puddle is life threatening hazzard to me anyway :D

To be fair you could probably extend the life of the uppers by using a standard waterproofing spray, any half decent shoe shop will have something but try Blacks or Millets and get the stuff sold for walking boots - just make sure you tell them the material (you don't want a wax product). You'll not get wet feet in the rain that way but you'll probably not want to be standing about in anything deeper than your soles. Partly because your feet will get wet but mostly because it'll start feeling like actually being in the army.

Cool, ill go on a hunt about tomorrow and see what they have. I remeber wet feet from sea cadets (all thoses years ago) being on parades etc. Was enough to make me not want to have soaked feet allday again! Yea i like to simulate parts of the army realisum in airsoft but being soaked when you dont have to be im not up for.

I'd suggest using Nikwax on the fabric bits. I use that for my work boots, and it makes sure that when you hose them off, the dirt just slides off.

Personally wouldn't recommend boots with zips, I got some stories I could tell about those lol

See i tried em in a local shop and they where just too comfy to resist. I play cqb mostly so water isnt a big worry but would be nice not to trash them if i did get wet. May be the ultimate solution is a 2nd pair for outdoor sites?? Can never have too much airsoft gear lol.

• Head Moderator

It is possible to use a waterproofing liquid, i.e. Nikwax, that is used on boots and jackets and can be purchased from outdoor/camping shops.

www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/ lists different products and their use.

Regardless of waterproofing the Cordura, you definitely want to have waterproofed bags inside pouches to protect contents from dirt and water, especially any electronics.

Edit: for leather boots I used to use gortex boot liners which kept my feet dry and also warmer.

Theirs 2 i would highly recommend theirs the fabsil gold which you can spray or brush on or the muc off fabric protect which is a spray and i would let it cure for around 30 hours. Fabsils a bit more expensive but lasts longer

Ill have a good look at them all as my boots and my was plate carrier are all worth looking after. Dont want to wreck any of them playing winter airsoft.

Water proof away! Unless you do what I did last time out, and slip into a deep puddle with the water coming over the top of my boot second game of the day lol. A prime 'fck it' moment :)

I can confirm that the Viper special ops boots (number 3) are not waterproof. Its not just the zips, its actually in and around the front areas as well the water gets in near your toes. I have tried a variety of external treatments to try and seal them and reality is I can't get them to be dry. They don't appear to have issues with wet terrain but when you step full into a puddle that comes up over the plastic lip of the boot (so deeper than 2cm or so) you will feel the water come in through the seal from the condura to the base of the boot. Those boots aren't waterproof. They are very comfy however that is something they absolutely have going for them, I had zero issues with blisters and other such problems they are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn.

So I can't recommend those boots for anything but dry games. Once you get them wet and muddy they well never look the same, the suede just gets ruined (no surprises there).

Right that settles it then! A 2nd pair of boots will be purchased for outdoor or wet days haha is the only solution id say :D

I would love to be able to tell you I found a solution, I played with these boots through the winter in Billericay when its basically a swamp and every time I have spent a day with wet feet! I really need to buy some better boots but I find these ones so darn comfortable its hard to let go.

Im mainly a cqb guy so will be spot on 80% of the time but dont want to wreck them for the other 20%. 2 pairs of boots makes sense as you have 2 feet! (That maths will work with the mrs right?)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.