Best weapons for Wet/Cold weather?

Raggedy_man

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

In the collective experience of the forum, which weapons work best in the wet and which work best in the cold?

Also are there any guns which are known to be very fragile come rain or shine?

• Head Moderator

My plastic knife also works in all weathers for stealth kills, day or night :)

Aeg's don't like lots of water

Really? Ever seen one not operating flawlessly because of wet conditions? There's even a video on youtube showing someone firing one under water. I wouldn't recommend using it under water, but I can't see a situation where a half decent AEG would not do the job.

I think TWG suggests not to use AEGs in sub freezing temperatures, as it might render the gearbox shell fragile. But I have never heard of this happening and we play a lot in those conditions here.

rbfmmg.jpg

As for Tippman, they are hardly the only decent gas system, and I could probably find an environment where it does not work.

Oh and never leave your batteries or gas exposed to the sun and make sure your battery compartment does not get too hot.

tl;dr: Any decent AEG should stand almost any weather. But you might want to use one you can afford to replace or repair (probably a sound advise no matter what conditions you play in)

• Supporters

Really? Ever seen one not operating flawlessly because of wet conditions? There's even a video on youtube showing someone firing one under water. I wouldn't recommend using it under water, but I can't see a situation where a half decent AEG would not do the job.

I think TWG suggests not to use AEGs in sub freezing temperatures, as it might render the gearbox shell fragile. But I have never heard of this happening and we play a lot in those conditions here.

rbfmmg.jpg

As for Tippman, they are hardly the only decent gas system, and I could probably find an environment where it does not work.

Oh and never leave your batteries or gas exposed to the sun and make sure your battery compartment does not get too hot.

tl;dr: Any decent AEG should stand almost any weather. But you might want to use one you can afford to replace or repair (probably a sound advise no matter what conditions you play in)

Lots of water :-

https://youtu.be/VnTGEEVzax4

(reference the electric shock)

Any spring weapon will be fine in cold or wet conditions - just buy a shotgun. Or an mk23 - had no issues with mine over the winter months.

• Root Admin

GBBRs

Cold: Not unless you're using a high powered gas like Guarder High Power or Nuprol 3-4 (though through my testing Guarder is slightly superior).

Wet: Fine. Gas system - all parts will be metal or plastic and there shouldn't be any electronics. You'd want to dry and relube when you get home though.

GBB pistols

Cold: I'd say fine most of the time in the UK, but some higher strength gas wouldn't go amiss.

Wet: Fine, but many use cheaper internals that may rust quicker if you don't dry and relube them when you get home.

HPA

Cold: Fine (air does not change density easily with varying temperatures).

Wet: Depends. Polarstar, SMP etc. do have electronics and need proper sealing. Pnumatic systems like Daytona Guns are inherently waterproof what with just being a huge lump of metal.

Spring

Cold: Fine.

Wet: Depends. Rifle stocks like to fill with water, but rain will be fine. Just don't dump it in a puddle.

AEGs

Cold: Fine.

Wet: Mostly not fine - particularly cheaper ones with poor fit and finish externally can let water in during heavy rain, but mid-range stuff will be fine. Also there are ways of waterproofing (see Systema mods etc.).

I think you are overthinking it a little.

If it's raining hard enough to interfere with the workings of an AEG, Then everyone without mesh goggles will most likely be fogged up and in the safe zone having a brew, and those three that are left out will be fed up of having wet socks after an hour or two.

• Supporters

I think you are overthinking it a little.

If it's raining hard enough to interfere with the workings of an AEG, Then everyone without mesh goggles will most likely be fogged up and in the safe zone having a brew, and those three that are left out will be fed up of having wet socks after an hour or two.

Good point, well presented!

• Root Admin

Yeh, waterproofing doesn't matter much. I would advise simply making sure you don't have too many gaps on the tops of receivers or stocks of any kind to make sure not too much rain gets in but the fact of the matter is you're probably not going to have a fun time anyway if it's raining heavily enough to matter - regardless of what you're using.

You could try using a catapault or a stick

Neither are affected by weather conditions

Lots of water :-

https://youtu.be/VnTGEEVzax4

(reference the electric shock)

I could have sworn somebody already posted this, video here, obviously not.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VnTGEEVzax4

They did ;)

Good video reference though, it does prove that aegs are fine in even the heaviest rain. Obviously anything used will need to be properly dried afterwards.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.