Better name than Airsoft.

K@rl

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Don't the russians have 2 versions, the (what we would call) normal airsoft of around the 328fps, and then the "hardcore" version called Strikeball where the average power is around the 500fps for assault rifles? just from memory so may be wrong.

• Supporters

In Hong Kong they call it "Wargames"

"Yeah I'm doing wargames this weekend" etc etc.

Can any one come up with a better name for our "sport".

"Running around with toy guns pretending to be soldiers?"

In all seriousness, I have used "airsoft, it's a bit like paintball", "we shoot plastic at each other" and "we play war".

more descriptive of the pain involved

Dude... it's .2g round plastic shot at around 1J

• Supporters

Football is football ffs

Yanks tried to mess it up with needing soccer

No what yanks call football is padded rugby

Wtf kick up n down pitch - football not soccer

American football is padded rugby not football

And a choccy bar is Marathon not Snickers

Opal Fruits not Starburst

Jif not Cif

Some things should be left alone as is

Think coco pops got changed but in a rare u-turn

They decided to change it back to coco pops

I just say I'm going shooting Saturday

(Hopefully I don't get pounced on leaving the house)

How's bout

Rifwar or

Airwar or anything with war in the title B)

Makes it more manly. Grrrrrr!

Yes duck u right, it went from coco pops to choco pops back to coco pops. But hey, they turn the milk chocolatey soooooo, I'd rather have a bowl of coco pops. :P

Lol, nice wargames reference There Hudson :P

Showing my age now happy :P

Or he could make a topic asking for peoples ideas and opinions

as a way to pass time & see if anyone has the brain cells to come up with a funny alternative to airsoft i mean..airsoft could be a type of bog roll or a fabric softner to the uneducated person..so stop sucking the joy out of everything and go back to your corner

Thank you

As stated, my intention was not to "change" the name. Just thought someone may have a funny story or idea that would make a Tuesday more interesting. It was touched upon previously in another tread. If you don't agree say so but not from aloft your high horse.

• Head Moderator

Calling it Wargames could confuse some people, I can just see a few players rocking up at a site with their 15mm Napoleonic figures expecting a table top battle!

• Supporters

Don't the russians have 2 versions, the (what we would call) normal airsoft of around the 328fps, and then the "hardcore" version called Strikeball where the average power is around the 500fps for assault rifles? just from memory so may be wrong.

They do. But then they also have people that have cut off their own head with a chainsaw to prove how manly they are.

Pretty sure they don't have the hand wringing, money grabbing insurance companies that we do either...

The name airsoft always seemed a bit of a nerf word to me. If gonna rename airsoft then i think it needs some sub-genres;

Balls Hit (milsim)

Balls Quest (cqb)

Balls Out (woodland skirmish)

As for hardcore airsoft like russia as mentioned above, i guess you've never heard of fire-fight-club (damn i broke the first rule)

• Supporters

.2 g bb at 50 meters may not hurt but for those of us who play cqb a bb at 2meters is enough to sting. Especially if people don't get that 1 bb is enough.

2 meters is miles away, come play the Mall I regularly get shot from 2 feet and most people use heavier than 0.2s. I dont wear protection either, t shirt and maybe a mesh tac vest. At the end of the day if you aint bleeding you aint playing hard enough.

Maybe you should try nerf?

I mainly explain it as:

"Like paintball except using automatic electric or gas BB guns, often shooting in excess of 300-400 feet per second"

they usualy ask:

"Does that not hurt"

And i reply:

"Yes....Yes it does"

They ask:

"Why do you do it then?"

And i reply:

"Because its TACTICOOOOL!!"

I was going to say "fine, fair enough" but then you had to go and do the "high horse" thing.

You asked for peoples input and you got it. You got my opinion in all its unfiltered, unedited glory (actually that's not quite true but then you'd have got really upset at what I wrote the first two times). I know now that I wasn't supposed to have the opinion of "but there's nothing wrong with calling it airsoft". Maybe you should try phrasing the question differently. Maybe start with something like "hey, just for shits and giggles what else could we call the game we play" instead of suggesting that "airsoft" is in some way not manly enough.

For a general point though - and this goes out to everyone that reads this - having a differing opinion does NOT mean you're up on your "high horse". It just means you have a different opinion.

I don't even like horses. Stupid poncey things.

Sorry could you shout, couldn't hear u from all the way up there. Lol

Didn't say there was anythin wrong with it but don't think it dose it justice to say" it's like paintball ". I played paintball for a number of years until I realise the man/woman with the most paint and fastest trigger will win and that streaming is no way to win a game. Little to do with skill or team work.

2 meters is miles away, come play the Mall I regularly get shot from 2 feet and most people use heavier than 0.2s. I dont wear protection either, t shirt and maybe a mesh tac vest. At the end of the day if you aint bleeding you aint playing hard enough.

Maybe you should try nerf?

I tried it but being a 30 year old body builder I felt a little silly.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.