Upgrade my M4 or buy new?

Reece_Spurs

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, basically, next pay day, i'll have up to £400 at my disposal to potentially buy a new gun, my current M4 is this https://www.justbbguns.co.uk/product/549/2-TONE-GUNS-PRO/466/2-TONE-AEG-PRO/1468/SRC-M4-RIS-AEG-AIRSOFT-GUN

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get all the help and advice before buying from this site, so yes, it was bought from JBBG :P

Now mine was the 1st gen version, so I'm guessing it's pretty basic internally although the external upper and lower reciever is full metal. The description isn't the best, but it looks like my gun doesn't have metal gearbox.

Now my M4 recently has been jamming alot, and has been playing up battery wise, it's as if even if the gun isn't being used and the batterys plugged in, it drains completely for no reason, the gun feels like its jammed but isnt (Although it does jam often) And there's no feedback from the battery when pulling the trigger. I have cleaned the barrel using appropriate lube, but the barrel didn't appear to be dirty at all?

I'm looking to get lipos, but have read thats a big no no with a non metal gearbox and I guess a bog standard motor?

Looking for advice really I guess, is it worth upgrading the internals? Including inner barrel, motor, gearbox etc? Or shall I just buy something better all round for my budget?

So far the general opinion is to buy new then? Will probably do that, as I can use my current M4 to tinker with and learn from, and if I screw it up its not a huge deal.

Electric vs GBB? I know gas sucks in cold weather but do like the recoil, anyone had experience with electric blow backs? Probably getting a bit ahead of myself really :D

Back to electrics, any specific stand out model or type? Ideally I'd like something that already comes with good internals, also, a couple of good reputable sites to buy from would help loads lads, don't want to make the same mistake of buying from a shoddy site again.

Appreciate all the help so far though, especially from you Trigger, think you've helped on all my threads so far, need to learn as much as I can, done alot of researching and reading online, but there's always so much variation with people and opinions!

Buy this

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-m4-m15-m16-variants/krytac-trident-crb-black.htm#.VckSQHpwbfs

Its not recoil but its a probably the best put together Aeg on the market at the moment. Nothing to do internally and its really solidly built. Just slap some accessories on it and have fun.

I do like the look of that, thanks again dude :)

Buy this

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-m4-m15-m16-variants/krytac-trident-crb-black.htm#.VckSQHpwbfs

Its not recoil but its a probably the best put together Aeg on the market at the moment. Nothing to do internally and its really solidly built. Just slap some accessories on it and have fun.

Sorry for the double post, but if I were to upgrade the internals of my current M4 would would you suggest, motor/mosfet, barrel and hop up system wise?

EDIT:

Would this gearbox fit mine? http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-gears-gearbox/ares-amoeba-efcs-ecu-gearbox-complete-rear-wired.htm#.VckVLSZViko

Motor= Lonex titan

Hop up= Prowin

Mosfet=Gate nano asr

Barrel=Prommy or Pdi

Gearbox= lonex prebuilt gearbox.

But that will cost almost as much as a new gun. You can build on a budget but I am not the best person to ask about that as I always go straight for the higher end stuff.

Yeah I get what you mean mate, again, thanks for the help, this is just more of a long term project so I can basically learn more about the internals whilst also upgrading the gun. Best place to find these parts? Scattered around various airsoft sites? Ebay etc?

Send Sittingduck a message hes a good one to go to on parts without spending a fortune.

I'm not too fussed about the money tbh dude, I earn enough to spend stupid amounts on this sort of thing, so i'd rather buy the best parts I can, aslong as they will all fit my gun anyways! :D

It's weird, I work for coca cola, and my days are spent fixing machines that cost £2m! Gearboxs, motors, and lubrication and all that crap is what I do day in day out, but give me something I feel like I love and I don't wanna touch it until i know what i'm doing!! :D

• Supporters

I'm not too fussed about the money tbh dude, I earn enough to spend stupid amounts on this sort of thing, so i'd rather buy the best parts I can, aslong as they will all fit my gun anyways! :D

It's weird, I work for coca cola, and my days are spent fixing machines that cost £2m! Gearboxs, motors, and lubrication and all that crap is what I do day in day out, but give me something I feel like I love and I don't wanna touch it until i know what i'm doing!! :D

Which coke site are you at then?

• Supporters

To be honest forget upgrading the SRC

It has a split 2 piece hop, 6mm plastic bushings, and some boxes and receivers will need a bit of minor modding to go/put in other stuff. The tiny gearbox pin don't align perfectly with some stuff

The receiver has the flimsy eyelets that break easily plus other faults I can't be arsed to go into...

It is a dated design and way behind today's standards

SRC isn't that bad but I wouldn't waste much time/money on it

Pretty damn sure is exact same model as we started with

From jbbg tossers btw

• Supporters

To be honest forget upgrading the SRC

It has a split 2 piece hop, 6mm plastic bushings, and some boxes and receivers will need a bit of minor modding to go/put in other stuff. The tiny gearbox pin don't align perfectly with some stuff

The receiver has the flimsy eyelets that break easily plus other faults I can't be arsed to go into...

It is a dated design and way behind today's standards

SRC isn't that bad but I wouldn't waste much time/money on it

Pretty damn sure is exact same model as we started with

From jbbg tossers btw

Told ya SD king of crap guns. 😂

Which coke site are you at then?

Edmonton mate, north london :)

Scrap the other one then and just build from scratch. Buy a receiver and just start there. If your technically minded an aeg is a piece of p*ss. V2 gearboxes can be a tosser to put back together though.

Thats the thing, I'd rather learn more on my current m4, than start from scratch with little knowledge, even if it means just stripping my gun down to the bare bones and trying to reassemble it, part of my interview 5 years ago actually was something similar, taking apart a pretty complex butterfly valve with a very crappy diagram, then putting it back together :D Just watched a video actually of a guy stripping a v2 gearbox, looks fiddly, lots of little bits and springs but nothing too daunting. Think i'm overthinking this a bit?!

• Supporters

TM recoil is nice but your looking at £500 add on a £100 for the spectre (if you can get hold of one).

Depends on the gun really, the AKs and M4s are cheaper than their H&K and FN ranges:

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-recoil-m4a1-socom-airsoft-gun-ebb-aeg

Reece I'd say that it all depends on whether you want a gun that you will basically gut and put your own parts in or one you will leave alone, or maybe upgrade parts that actually make a difference.

One option would be buy a new gun and use it as is then strip the old one and have a play around with the internals without having to worry about missing a game due to a broken gun :)

Depends on the gun really, the AKs and M4s are cheaper than their H&K and FN ranges:

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-recoil-m4a1-socom-airsoft-gun-ebb-aeg

Reece I'd say that it all depends on whether you want a gun that you will basically gut and put your own parts in or one you will leave alone, or maybe upgrade parts that actually make a difference.

One option would be buy a new gun and use it as is then strip the old one and have a play around with the internals without having to worry about missing a game due to a broken gun :)

This is more or less exactly what I want to do, my origional question was "Is my m4 worth upgrading internally" SittingDuck basically put that as a no, so a new gun it is :D (Its a very sad situation to HAVE to buy another gun i know :P ) But I also did needed the info from Trigger and others about how to upgrade internal parts and good parts to buy, as I will now use my m4 as a guinea pig to learn much more about the internals of AEGs, so alot has been learned!

• Supporters

This is more or less exactly what I want to do, my origional question was "Is my m4 worth upgrading internally" SittingDuck basically put that as a no, so a new gun it is :D (Its a very sad situation to HAVE to buy another gun i know :P ) But I also did needed the info from Trigger and others about how to upgrade internal parts and good parts to buy, as I will now use my m4 as a guinea pig to learn much more about the internals of AEGs, so alot has been learned!

Buy a G&G, best of both worlds you get a new gun and experience on fixing and upgrading everytime it breaks. ☺

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.