M14 Not Feeding... Still! (Video to show problem)

Reece_Spurs

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys.. Again.. I started this thread about a month ago http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/27153-can-anyone-help-with-my-new-m14-not-feeding/ explaining my new M14 not feeding.. Have a quick read, but long story short, thanks from the help of a few guys, found out JBBG is a sucky site, bulldog bb's suck just as hard and mid caps are awesome.

Thought I'd sorted it buy giving the new mag a bang on the base, it worked, but didn't get to test it properly until about a week ago due to work..

After a few shots, it stopped firing again, give it a bang, shoots a few bbs then dry fires again, rinse and repeat.

The video should show alot better than I can explain, but basically, when the mag is in and clicked (I've come to know after alot of reading M14 mags can be a pain) it sits flush against the magwell on the trigger side, now after a bit of playing with it, I found it shoots flawlessly when the magazine is pushed about 1-2mm towards the barrel, and I've tested this part alot, it shoots consistently whilst held there, also jammed a piece of cardboard in that gap and it shot fine.. Here's the video anyway..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oJsWnQGyFo

I'm still very new to all this externally, so no idea if this is something as simple as tightening or adjusting something, but any advice would be great guys.

Also, should my mag be doing this when I eject it? As in the end coming out like this? It clicks back in by pushing it down but doesnt look right?

Replace the hop unit, it's a common fault with that rifle, the feed tube of the hop unit is fractionally too short and is not constantly pushing the spring release on the top of the mag, when you push the mag up you are allowing it to fully release the spring

Replace the hop unit, it's a common fault with that rifle, the feed tube of the hop unit is fractionally too short and is not constantly pushing the spring release on the top of the mag, when you push the mag up you are allowing it to fully release the spring

Cheers for the reply, any suggestions on what hop unit to buy? Bit piffed that the hop unit needs replacing though and actually came like this as stock, I thought G&G were a pretty good brand?

• Supporters

A lot of people make that mistake.

Prowin

G&G have been good to me, I've had problems with other brands, never had a single fault with G&G. experiences and opinions on airsoft brands vary massively.

There are, as with all things, some lemons in every batch.

The G&G M14 is not a direct copy of the TM one particularly in the hop unit. Not sure that Prowin actually do a hop up for the G&G/Classic Army design M14 but Lonex do. It may even be as simple as replacing it with a new G&G hop unit if yours is just badly made.

• 2 weeks later...

The G&G M14 is not a direct copy of the TM one particularly in the hop unit. Not sure that Prowin actually do a hop up for the G&G/Classic Army design M14 but Lonex do. It may even be as simple as replacing it with a new G&G hop unit if yours is just badly made.

Can only find this mate http://www.hobbyairsoft.ie/Lonex-GB0184-M14-AUG- and it says in the description it will NOT fit in a G&G classic m14 :D

Can only really find this http://www.evike.com/products/30563/ and tbh it looks almost identical to the Lonex one.

Would this be all I need to hopefully fix my problem?

Can only find this mate http://www.hobbyairsoft.ie/Lonex-GB0184-M14-AUG- and it says in the description it will NOT fit in a G&G classic m14 :D

Can only really find this http://www.evike.com/products/30563/ and tbh it looks almost identical to the Lonex one.

Would this be all I need to hopefully fix my problem?

Bump.

Anyone got any ideas? Wanna order asap but need to know what to order :D

• Supporters

Bump.

Anyone got any ideas? Wanna order asap but need to know what to order :D

Evike also list the G&P one as being an upgrade for the G&G but I have no experience of it.

• Supporters

Yeah back up ☺ (was a joke)

Seems to be a lot of confusion on what hop ups actually fit the G&G m14 when you look on line, surely someone on here must have gone through this and can give more constructive advice.

I figured it was comedy :)

I did find someone saying that they'd bought the Lonex hop for their G&G M14 but that it was actually worse that the stock one. As you say, doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info about...

• Root Admin

Just shim the magwell with some epoxy. Turn the gun upwards (so it doesn't run anywhere) and apply a thin layer to the rear magwell wall. Let it dry, then do this as many times as you need until you've built up a layer that will push your magazine forward those 1-2mm so that it fires correctly.

It's not a conventional solution, but it should work and won't be noticeable. Also, epoxy is very hard wearing once its cured.

To me the issue just looks like a poorly made magwell. Not your fault.

Just shim the magwell with some epoxy. Turn the gun upwards (so it doesn't run anywhere) and apply a thin layer to the rear magwell wall. Let it dry, then do this as many times as you need until you've built up a layer that will push your magazine forward those 1-2mm so that it fires correctly.

It's not a conventional solution, but it should work and won't be noticeable. Also, epoxy is very hard wearing once its cured.

To me the issue just looks like a poorly made magwell. Not your fault.

I did actually try some sticky back velcro for the same effect, wasn't very affective though as the magazine was stupidly tough to fit in, then when it did, fell out after a couple of shots :D

Might try the epoxy though, are you saying to apply it in the gap i'm showing in the vid to push the mag further forward? Layer by layer etc?

• Root Admin

Well you'll need to ascertain if the mag is rotated incorrectly or if it's just sitting too far back. If you're needing to push the bottom of the magazine forwards (i.e. towards the barrel) then you may be counteracting the fact that it's mis-seated as it's dropping down where the magazine meets the hop unit - in other words it's rotated wrong.

Laying epoxy is only going to push the mag forwards, not upwards at all (if it's hanging lose). If it is misaligned due to rotation of the mag, I'd advise checking the magazine catch and seeing if you can shim that with epoxy instead.

I have provided an A+ diagram to help explain what I'm on about. Red is the mag and the blue is the shim.

X3oGwO.jpg

So in this case the shim helps as it's pushing the mag forward to line up with the hop unit.

ab6IqQ.jpg

In this case a mag that's sagging at either the front or rear isn't going to be helped much by shimming the mag well. This is generally down to a mag catch being worn.

• Supporters

Surely though if you shim the magwell to be snug you won't get the mag to latch properly? It works OK for M4's because the mag catch is sprung in from the side, an M14 mag latches in by inserting the front edge first. If it's too snug it won't pivot in properly.

• Root Admin

Yeh, you're probably correct but if the mag is also not seating high enough then it becomes an issue that only shimming/getting a new mag catch can do. I went through all of this with my G&P WOC when I was fitting the new GHK mags. Bit of a farce, and initially I just sanded down and shimmed the mag well where required. Ultimately it look a new catch. Again though, as you say, the catch was less obtrusive as it is in an M14.

As you say, with the M14 the catch is to the rear so that makes me think this thing is at the wrong angle rather than being too far forward or backward which a shim isn't going to help with.

Reece, can you try and get a more accurate idea of how the magazine isn't seated correctly? Too far forward/backwards or whether it needs pushing up and forwards for example? From the video it actually looks like you're pushing it forward and upwards (i.e. rotating it), which a shim isn't going to help much with given the way that M14 magazines insert.

Edit

...unless you're very careful about it. I'd recommend perhaps shimming with epoxy than sanding it so that it's flush at the very bottom of the mag well and not at the top (basically a slight incline/wedge). That way it won't obstruct reloads. You're looking at a fair bit of work though.

Yeh, you're probably correct but if the mag is also not seating high enough then it becomes an issue that only shimming/getting a new mag catch can do. I went through all of this with my G&P WOC when I was fitting the new GHK mags. Bit of a farce, and initially I just sanded down and shimmed the mag well where required. Ultimately it look a new catch. Again though, as you say, the catch was less obtrusive as it is in an M14.

As you say, with the M14 the catch is to the rear so that makes me think this thing is at the wrong angle rather than being too far forward or backward which a shim isn't going to help with.

Reece, can you try and get a more accurate idea of how the magazine isn't seated correctly? Too far forward/backwards or whether it needs pushing up and forwards for example? From the video it actually looks like you're pushing it forward and upwards (i.e. rotating it), which a shim isn't going to help much with given the way that M14 magazines insert.

Edit

...unless you're very careful about it. I'd recommend perhaps shimming with epoxy than sanding it so that it's flush at the very bottom of the mag well and not at the top (basically a slight incline/wedge). That way it won't obstruct reloads. You're looking at a fair bit of work though.

I'm at work now so can't have a look, but if I remember correctly, the angle the m14 mags go in and sit, pushing the mag as i did in the video forward, automatically raises the front end of the mag aswell. Theres a very quite "click" when doing this aswell, which someone said was the feed tube activating the spring on the mag to feed the bb's?

• Root Admin

Actually the click is probably the mag catch. The feed tube pushing the catch on the mag that holds the BBs is generally not audible enough to hear.

I think really you're going to have to look at it and make sure the magazine is seating right on with the hop unit. It's probably just sagged a little through general wear and needs a bit of shimming in the right place - sounds like this place is the rear of the mag well. If - as you and Lozart both stated - shimming the rear of the well pushes it forwards and up enough then do that, but angle the shim so it's not interfering with reloads. Basically apply the epoxy and then let it cure for a good 24 hours before sanding it down a little at the bottom of the mag well. Again, this is so it doesn't interfere with reloading when you push the rear of the magazine up into the mag well, but will still push it forward when the magazine is fully seated.

Shouldn't be too tricky. Just take your time and if in doubt apply a very small amount of epoxy first and let it cure for a while before sanding or reinserting the magazine. Though epoxy is good to touch after 30 minutes, it will be 'rubbery' until it cures for a good day and may not push the magazine as much as it would if it was fully cured.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.