Airsoft monthly periodicals, which do you read?

Jedi_Master
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Head Moderator

So what airsoft monthly periodicals (magazines) do you all read?

The only ones that I have found so far in WH Smith are 'Airsoft Action' and 'Airsoft International'. My preference is for Airsoft Action as it has more content and is more focused on the UK scene.

I'm an Ai man myself . If I have the spare cash I'll buy both but I prefer the layout of Ai which is likely due to me just happening across them first. I also like load out guides they do.

• Supporters

I usually get both but I definitely prefer Ai. Airsoft action has too many articles about battles and famous soldiers I've never heard of. I like my reading material to be about the subject I buy them for.

• Supporters

There's Airsoft magazines?

yes - its big business making money out of saddo's playing with toy guns

only got one copy free so to speak at airsoft showcase

but was a good read with interview on ProAirsoft Supplies Jez Armstrong techy guru mofo

(think it was him and sure I spoke to him at the Mall's showcase that day but thought he was a lame sales guy - lol)

Good read on that bit but a lot of the other bits n bobs didn't interest me too too much tbh

just more high end ads of stuff for my son to ask for and be told - NO F*CKING CHANCE SUN DANCE

I dont tend to buy the mags. My feeling is that traditional mags have been overtaken by social media. If you know which groups or Facebook pages to follow, its easy to keep abreast on whats going on in the industry and the news is a lot fresher on social media. Sometimes takes a couple of months or more to get in the mags.

I stopped buying hobby mags when I started to notice how many of their pages are full of repetitive adverts. The advertisers pay for the mags so readers should get them for free or at least a lot less than £3.99.

Raider is quite a good mag but military rather than airsoft.

PMC International is very good and is free if you download it digitally.

If at the very least they listed out upcoming events like milsims and the wild west things and such it would be great. But I have found they'll cover it having gone to it and that is when you first find out about it. They are kind of missing a trick there considering the big gap in knowledge about what is out there once you go past just skirmishing. They clearly know they are on as they are attending and writing about them.

• Supporters

I crave "input" and there's just something about good old fashioned printed material that just works for me.

Interesting one this though; I was recently considering a P226. On the horns of the TN vs WE dilemma (reliability and cold weather use vs price) I recalled a recent editorial in Ai where Ben (the editor) was extolling the virtues of his WE F226. Having become his friend on FB (not in a stalkery kind of way or anything) I asked him if he would recommend it and what his actual experiences of it were long term. His response? "get the TM. 100% better".

So yeah...the views expressed etc etc...

Ai has so many spelling and grammar mistakes for a magazine in production it's ridiculous. Before anyone jumps on me Idm them and It doesn't bother me in terms of being able to read it. It just gives the impression less work has gone into the writing and editing and they are pushing these things out every month and they are pretty expensive. Airsoft action has more content and battle reports from a lot of milsims which I like but ai has a more attractive layout. Saying all that I still buy both lol

• Head Moderator

Ai has so many spelling and grammar mistakes for a magazine in production it's ridiculous... It just gives the impression less work has gone into the writing and editing and they are pushing these things out every month and they are pretty expensive.

Ai looks glossy but the spelling errors give the impression that they have not quality controlled the articles and relied on a computer spell checker or intern who does not know the difference. For £4.25 I do expect higher standards, that said, I text in full with punctuation.

• Supporters

I text in full with punctuation.

So glad it's not just me!

• Head Moderator

So glad it's not just me!

I still love actual books and have not gone over to the dark side of kindle / e-readers. Online magazines do not deliver the same impact as a glossy double page spread of the latest Gucci kit.

AI has come on in leaps and bounds in the last couple of years, since the editorial change. It used to be that I could read it cover to cover in not much over an hour, as about half the pages were adverts and the rest was either plagiarized from other sources, or so badly written as to seem to be produced by someone whose first language wasn't English. It still isn't great and some of the contributors seem to not have learned how to differentiate certain standard English words (e.g. weather and whether), or how to use punctuation, but it is better.

AA started off quite well, but has moved away from pure airsoft articles and, as mentioned previously, has moved too far towards the military history articles. It's not that I don't like, or read, those bits, it's just that if I want to do that I'll buy one of the specific military history mags, or books. If they continue to move away from the airsoft scene and airtsoft specific readership then they will start to lose circulation and will likely disappear, which will be a loss. The best mag I ever read was the Scandinavian produced Airsoft Soldier. The articles were brilliant and they even went so far as to completely strip the AEGs that they were reviewing. Unfortunately, having decided to produce a mag that was totally devoid of adverts, they soon ran out of money and closed down, taking my five months of pre-paid subscription with them.

• 9 months later...

yes - its big business making money out of saddo's playing with toy guns

only got one copy free so to speak at airsoft showcase

but was a good read with interview on ProAirsoft Supplies Jez Armstrong techy guru mofo

(think it was him and sure I spoke to him at the Mall's showcase that day but thought he was a lame sales guy - lol)

Good read on that bit but a lot of the other bits n bobs didn't interest me too too much tbh

just more high end ads of stuff for my son to ask for and be told - NO F*CKING CHANCE SUN DANCE

• 2 months later...

Got the latest AI (V12/Iss3).

Nice '13 Hours in Benghazi' cover and inside feature, featuring the PMCs guarding the CIA base in "Benghazi, Syria."**

**FFS. Basic, basic, editing/fact checking. Unreal.

Got the latest AI (V12/Iss3).

Nice '13 Hours in Benghazi' cover and inside feature, featuring the PMCs guarding the CIA base in "Benghazi, Syria."**

HAHA! Benghazi, Syria!

Next you'll be telling me 'Inside the story: The daring Navy SEALs who spent weeks trekking across the perilous country of Africa'

**FFS. Basic, basic, editing/fact checking. Unreal.

Archived