Gun Ranges - Buzzwords

Sacarathe

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, are there any buzzwords to get in with gun ranges? I've emailed four and had no replies. Is it airsoft or just normal?

Is airsoft the wrong buzzword, is there something else better, do they think airsofters are some how less serious about shooting?

• Head Moderator

Not sure what you want to shoot at the range, I assume it is a live weapon. A problem with airsoft is in the name - air(head) and soft(pussy). Would advise that you leave out any reference to airsoft in communication, and just focus on the real steel aspect of range work and not playing with toy guns.

do they think airsofters are some how less serious about shooting?

Probably. I wouldn't be surprised if majority of people owning airsofts are.

Was thinking about that today, how some think that weapons manufacturers licensing their logos to an airsoft brand is a seal of approval. While in reality they see airsoft as toys rather than sporting equipment and couldnt give a damn about the quality of the products.

• Supporters

Think of it this way. You run a field with 2 days milsim events, with serious players, ongoing ops, etc. Then a guy - probably very young - emails you if he can join you with his nerf gun. He says he is very serious about it, even painted it green.

Try airgun ranges or clubs IMO.

Try airgun ranges or clubs IMO.

That's all I had tried, I was not aware there was a distinction between powder ammunition and air powered guns for ranges.

Theres two within walking distance of my parents house... I will give them a look in sometime.

Yes - try just visiting one if they're close. There's a new indoor air rifle range near me that is very well set up. They have 6 rifle lanes and 2 pistol lanes. You can rent an air rifle or take your own and pay for the time you spend shooting. I wouldn't mention airsoft as they will be thought of as toys.

I'm not sure whether you're after just somewhere to shoot or looking for a job? If you can get a job in an air rifle range I would imagine it's a good stepping stone for getting into the firearms licensed ranges (.22 rim fire guns).

If it's just somewhere to shoot, maybe start becoming a regular? I just turned up at the air rifle range with a mate one week day (we were having an important meeting for work ;-) ) and paid to rent 2 guns and two shooting lanes. They gave us a minute or two's safety talk and showed us how to load the rifles (PCP multi shot) then pretty much left us to it - but we are both grumpy old men in our forties :) That was it, nothing complicated. I'd imagine if you did that regularly then turned up one day with an airsoft gun, they'd chuckle a bit but might let you use it. The only issue I can see are ricochets - those plastic bbs will bounce around all over the place, so they may not want them in the range. All the pistols they hire are CO2 firing metal 6mm BBs, so I guess they don't bounce around as much? There is certainly no requirement to wear eye protection while shooting, which I thought was a little odd!

Don't get me wrong, I want to shoot my airsoft gun (which I have not bought yet), toy or no, it still need zeroing and it I need to learn to recognise target ranges etc.

Of course I also want to learn some gun safety from qualified pros too.

Looking for outdoor ideally.

Most outdoor sites have an area for checking and test firing before you start the game. Some even have them set up as target ranges. If all you want to do is zero and test your rifle, just go skirmishing for a day! Get there early, maybe take some targets (coke cans or bottles) and set them up at different distances away from the safe zone. I can't see many sites having an issue, especially if you've paid to play for a day!

Even if you spend an hour in a part of the site where there are no games going on zeroing your rifle - most big outdoor sites use different areas throughout the day to keep the games varied. Just ask the marshals if you can go somewhere to get set up while the others are off playing. It's your money, so if you want to use the time setting up, I can't imagine too many issues :)

I once spent an entire game day at billericay (at no charge) doing tech work to get my R hop patch working perfectly. I just sat in the safe zone and my sand paper and tools laid out on the bench and worked on it all day, constantly taking the gun apart and putting it back together and test shooting it at their chrono area. A lot of the bigger out door sites are going to let you do a similar thing if you just ask.

Don't get me wrong, I want to shoot my airsoft gun (which I have not bought yet), toy or no, it still need zeroing and it I need to learn to recognise target ranges etc.

Of course I also want to learn some gun safety from qualified pros too.

Looking for outdoor ideally.

THAT might be an issue thou, if you intend to shoot an airsoft at an airgun range. Due to them shooting BBs rather than pellets.

• Supporters

no, because the plastic BBs we fire tend to bounce about like buggery when they hit something hard, whereas lead pellets just deform and hit the floor.

If you want to zero your sights etc you don't need a range you just need a 25 yard open space and a couple of sheets of A4 paper.

Because airsoft guns are more dangerous?

Well, yes. While a lead pellet at 7J can do a lot more potential damage at a direct hit, far more injuries are attributed to airsoft and BB guns. This is because the pellet tend to stop when it hits the target, or ricochet slightly. BBs on the other hand ricochet all over the place.

Was ridiculous of me to say it like that. Still, the issue is finding somewhere you can use an airsoft gun outside of skirmishes.

If you live in an urban area going to a skirmish is your best bet I'd say. Thou I think there is an airsoft range near or on Edgware road in London.

As part of my membership at a range I did enquire about using the .22 range for the purpose of zeroing. The range master asked me about the make up of the rounds and asked about whether they had a tendency to richocet (they definitely do!) and it was clear from the discussion it might impact on the other shooters, would require everyone to wear protection for their eyes and might even disturb them so it was simply not OK. I just can't see any range ever agreeing to the use of an airsoft rifle in there as its too disruptive.

If you live in an urban area going to a skirmish is your best bet I'd say. Thou I think there is an airsoft range near or on Edgware road in London.

That's not what it is, despite advertising. They built it, but the local council blocked them from using it as such.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Head Moderator

I was looking at the Reforger website www.reforgerevents.com and under the Services tab it lists 'Airsoft and Airgun Range'. The Reforger site is located to the north west of Watford near M25 Jct 20. No experience of the site but it may be worth doing some research to see it is a viable option for weapon zeroing and outdoor practice.

My gun club used to have an airsoft night, where we used rifles and pistols on the 25m indoor range, alongside those using air pistols. When most of the airsoft users left the club they decided to stop the airsoft use, partly because of the problem of bbs bouncing everywhere, but also because of having to sweep up the range after every event. If you can find a club with an outdoor range of 50-100m then you might be able to pursued them to let you use it for zeroing or general hop setting up, as most ranges don't worry about bbs in the outdoor butts.

I use a local Gun range (Ford rifle range), they charge me £10 for an hour. Only had one pointless visit when there was a guy with a .22 next to me, obivously I can't shoot infront of him so I was stuck at the 100 meter mark! I hit the target a few times when the BB bounced :) Hey!! A hit is a hit!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.