I'm a big strong man

Dannn

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Opening your first few gearboxes is a piece of pi$$

IT IS CLOSING THE BASTID'S UP THAT IS THE PROBLEM !!!!

Kudos to Samurai - one or two 10-15mm round "earth" or "neodym" magnets under box where AR latch goes

that REALLY helps to keep the AR latch in place so you only need 3 hands - not 4 now

don't work on trigger as that ain't magnetic but at least you got one less thing to jump out

Now all that is left is spring, yup sounds easy, couple of "dry runs" without spring seeing how it best closes up

usually cylinder head side lowering into position first etc.....

Then the spring with a nice fitting screwdriver or something helping to pivot & hold spring guide downwards

If cylinder has port then this aligned with piston runners to ensure piston stays put and not jump off the guides

Oh there is loads of stuff you suss out and pick up tips & techniques of your own along the way too

M100 or M105 springs are a breeze, m115/120 you can feel the extra resistance when inserting springs

Best one was the DSG with a m150 or M160 mofo in it - f*ck me that was "fun" on ya own

no really - about 3 times I "thought" I had finally done it up only to find something had just popped out at last final closing of box

we are talking about 15 attempts - maybe more and was really close to giving up a couple of times

hands now covered in grease - even though they was dry & clean, slipping eveywhere, trying to get some grip/leverage to compress spring

but the trigger/spring wants to jump right out the moment you even fart or breathe near it

f*ckety f*ckety f*ck f*ck f*ck

Yeah - the whole dsg stuff is way way over rated imho - slight shortstroke m120 with a 13 or 14:1 gear set is much easier to build

and that is the easy bit - it is all the checking and sanding/file and checking that it all fits and works properly that takes the time

(imho depending on work involved and how meticulous you are a box should take most of weekend to strip, rebuild totally and assemble/test)

yup you can do it very quick if just replacing one or two parts - but a full box and getting everything as good as you can get it

will take more than a day - often you will need to step back - look for something or a break to de-stress or rethink any issues etc....

Some crap just don't wanna go in & work quite how you expect it - some boxes/gears just sound $hit no matter how well you shim & reshim

Well that is my take on them - but finding me taking more care/time is producing much better results than my first few builds

Oh and v3 - at least you test the damn box very quickly, seeing the bevel gear's position shifting as you adjust motor height

getting it as quiet and schreech free as possible - heck you can even loosen the motor frame/cage and slightly pull it a smidge

to get angle as close to perfection as possible

V2's not quite as "test" friendly before you find out how crap that build sounds

• Supporters

Strange that, not a big fan of gearbox tinkering - hence AK/V3 - but I dont find closing it too problematic..

you don't have all the internal wiring to watch out for and ensure it ain't pinched or popped out like v2's

or the wire passing behind motor to keep low & in place on v2's

V3's are much more test firendly - even rewire for mosfet after box is closed up

the 2 part trigger is what took me a few attempts to put back together on my first AK

but like most things there is a knack you soon suss out

Hunterseeker makes some clips that can be used to hold problematic pieces in place to help get it closed up. It seems to be gearbox/parts dependent, some of them have a real tendency to jump out where others just stay put.

• Supporters

Samurai's AR magnet trick works ace - so simple but so damn effective

One that sod is behaving itself, the trigger is really the only thing to watch out for

and "usually" is ain't as bad as the AR, it does seem to stay put long enough to close the box back up

its when you got a mofo spring or both trigger AND the AR latch - that is when the air turns blue - almost black in my house

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.