HPA rifle hate? I guarantee it’s not why you think

Qlimax

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

One other reason we feel they hit harder because they do hit harder.

We are chronoing with 0.20 but with heavy BBs HPA can do ridiculous joule creep and HPA users use 0.28+. Same with gas guns.

If you would chrono with 0.28 you would still get around 349 fps and that's about 410 with 0.20. Yes, a 40 rps short burst of 410 fps does hurt more.

all wrong. HPA users are all chrono'd on .20s. My SMP is 345Fps on .20s and when i chrono it using .28s it's something 290Fps if not less so this statement is completely wrong. plus a J rate is no more than 1.2J on .28s which is still within the J limit.

Any HPA user setting their system up at 340+fps on .28s should not be allowed to play as they are taking the piss.

Ever user I know sets their system up Fps wise using .20s as you should then once set they setup their hops for .28s etc|

• Supporters

all wrong. HPA users are all chrono'd on .20s. My SMP is 345Fps on .20s and when i chrono it using .28s it's something 290Fps if not less so this statement is completely wrong. plus a J rate is no more than 1.2J on .28s which is still within the J limit.

I didn't say every HPA user is like that. But there are HPA and gas users who do that. If you can change how much air is used for a shot then you can basically adjust the joule creep.

Gas users have joule creep too but because they get about 30 BB in a magazine, it's not that annoying.

I believe this is related to the heavier BBs spending more time in the barrel, so you can set the air volume up to accelerate them rapidly (and for longer), but when you put a .20g BB in, it leaves the barrel so fast that the over volume is not noticed?

The net result is HPA guns should be chrono'd both on 0.2g and on the player's intended weight?

• Supporters

The main thing that annoys me about HPA is that people dont like it because they say its easy to adjust the Fps or ROF. But they allow and accept PTWs which have a far easier way of changing the Fps, keep another cylinder in your pocket, pull rear pin out snap open, pull charging handle to remove cylinder.. in goes your other one all in about 10 seconds. My SMP, Id have to take my rig off, get my bottle out with my regulator on, get an allen key out adjust and repeat the first steps again putting it away etc. Id be more noticeable than someone switching a cylinder out.

So why like one and not the other !

yeah i don't agree with those who take the piss on their ROF as there's simply no need to have it that high

Surprised no has moaned about the ICS split gearbox you can swap the top part out in seconds and nobody would have a clue. Far easier than anything else.

• Supporters

I believe this is related to the heavier BBs spending more time in the barrel, so you can set the air volume up to accelerate them rapidly (and for longer), but when you put a .20g BB in, it leaves the barrel so fast that the over volume is not noticed?

The net result is HPA guns should be chrono'd both on 0.2g and on the player's intended weight?

no. you setup your Dwell based on the length of the barrel your using. it has nothing to do with the weight BB your firing through it.

My Fps is setup using .20s, my Dwell is setup using either .20s or .28s it doesn't matter.

ALL hpa users are chrono'd on .20s there's no difference between a hpa user and an AEG user. all are chrono'd on .20s

• Supporters

The only difference with J creep is that an AEG will not be as consistent in shot to shot on a heavier BB, whereas HPA users once setup correctly your Fps will reduce on the heavier BB but your shot to shot consistency is pretty much the same 1/2+-

no. you setup your Dwell based on the length of the barrel your using. it has nothing to do with the weight BB your firing through it.

My Fps is setup using .20s, my Dwell is setup using either .20s or .28s it doesn't matter.

ALL hpa users are chrono'd on .20s there's no difference between a hpa user and an AEG user. all are chrono'd on .20s

I'm not arguing whether something is or isn't only the peculiar fear that it is.

But huge swathes of results from internet searches on over voluming HPA airsoft guns, reach the conclusion I mentioned above: that a heavier BBs have (accelerating) forces acting on it for longer than lighter BBs in an overvolumed gun.

That a perception exists that it is [allegedly] easier to achieve with a HPA gun is the main problem. Whether or not the problem actually exists is not something these people seem willing to contemplate.

• Supporters

I'm not arguing whether something is or isn't only the peculiar fear that it is.

But huge swathes of results from internet searches on over voluming HPA airsoft guns, reach the conclusion I mentioned above: that a heavier BBs have (accelerating) forces acting on it for longer than lighter BBs in an overvolumed gun.

That a perception exists that it is [allegedly] easier to achieve with a HPA gun is the main problem. Whether or not the problem actually exists is not something these people seem willing to contemplate.

I ant arguing or picking at what you’ve said dude, I’m simply highlighting for others that will read what you’ve said is actually incorrect. This is why people hate HPA, some of what you’ve written is completely well off and wrong which others will read and believe. I’m only pointing out it’s not correct.

I apologies if you feel I am picking or arguing dude because I am not nor is it my intention. the problem is those who don't use HPA don't care how it's setup or why it hurts when they are hit. They simply want to put bad name against HPA users.

Only reason to hate HPA or any other type of airsoft gun is if your a whiny knob cheese and you got owned by someone using one. Bitches be jelly.

As long as it passes chrono then who cares, doesn't matter if it might get a few more FPS from joule-creep or similar, there's plenty DMR and sniper out there doing leagues higher.

Everyone seems to try use as heavy ammo as their gun will lift these days anyways and the heavier ammo is only reason something will hurt more. HPA lift heavier easier. If pains the issue people should bitch that everyone should be forced to use 0.2g instead, why limit the argument to HPA?

HPA might have potential for silly ROF but AEG's can do a ROF silly enough to make no comparative difference.

None of this stuff will make a significant difference to you getting shot or not, that's down to your actions and the other guy behind the trigger, so def agree with it not being the guns fault in the OP.

People seem to take good care of their guns in UK, so all that OP talk of 'it's cos your guns poorly maintained and dropped 50fps' seems irrelevant. People pay attention to chrono's here, and if anyone finds their guns dropped they'll get right on it, sending it to a tech if they don't know themselves.

Haven't seen a HPA setup last a whole day skirmishing yet, so even if you hate them just wait for the guys gun to break half way through the day and then get your revenge when he's reduced to using a 30rd semi pistol.

But anyways, why do you care, thought you were quitting, something that def needs to be announced, again and again... Yawn, you aint going anywhere addict, here's a few bb's to stop you clucking ;)

• Supporters

Only reason to hate HPA or any other type of airsoft gun is if your a whiny knob cheese and you got owned by someone using one. Bitches be jelly.

As long as it passes chrono then who cares, doesn't matter if it might get a few more FPS from joule-creep or similar, there's plenty DMR and sniper out there doing leagues higher.

Everyone seems to try use as heavy ammo as their gun will lift these days anyways and the heavier ammo is only reason something will hurt more. HPA lift heavier easier. If pains the issue people should bitch that everyone should be forced to use 0.2g instead, why limit the argument to HPA?

HPA might have potential for silly ROF but AEG's can do a ROF silly enough to make no comparative difference.

None of this stuff will make a significant difference to you getting shot or not, that's down to your actions and the other guy behind the trigger, so def agree with it not being the guns fault in the OP.

People seem to take good care of their guns in UK, so all that OP talk of 'it's cos your guns poorly maintained and dropped 50fps' seems irrelevant. People pay attention to chrono's here, and if anyone finds their guns dropped they'll get right on it, sending it to a tech if they don't know themselves.

Haven't seen a HPA setup last a whole day skirmishing yet, so even if you hate them just wait for the guys gun to break half way through the day and then get your revenge when he's reduced to using a 30rd semi pistol.

But anyways, why do you care, thought you were quitting, something that def needs to be announced, again and again... Yawn, you aint going anywhere addict, here's a few bb's to stop you clucking ;)

Quitting or not i can still post in the forum, that's completely irrelevant isn't it. if you have something to say to me then bring it to PM rather than trying to be cocky. if you don't like it DON'T READ IT.

I'll stick with public cheeky comments thanks.

What i was hoping for;

"Yeah i keep trying to quit but love it, and keep ending up on here/ at one last skirmish"

Perhaps my cheeky/piss take ratio was a bit off, i don't have a tournament lock unfortunately.

However, if you don't want people to make cheeky comments about things you've said, DON'T POST IT ON THE INTERNET

I actually agreed with everything you said in the pasted post

At least I'm a troll you can actually shoot, but you quit so never mind...

Personally I don't have an issue with the rifles other than most people play Airsoft for realism, having an airline and a big air tank strapped to you detracts from this in my mind, also, I play at a coue of semi only sites, and having idiots spamming the crap out of HPA rifles really does annoy me, especially in a cqb environment

I ant arguing or picking at what you’ve said dude, I’m simply highlighting for others that will read what you’ve said is actually incorrect. This is why people hate HPA, some of what you’ve written is completely well off and wrong which others will read and believe. I’m only pointing out it’s not correct.

I apologies if you feel I am picking or arguing dude because I am not nor is it my intention. the problem is those who don't use HPA don't care how it's setup or why it hurts when they are hit. They simply want to put bad name against HPA users.

Rubbish indeed. I don't feel picked on or anything. I just used qualifying terminology that I thought would indicate that I did not believe what I wrote and it was not picked up on. I said I "believed it was related to" and put question marks in, I did not intend to posit any of that post as fact. Believed by me or otherwise, but there a LOT of vocal people on the internet who do believe it.

I should have used a better word than arguing, though. My bad.

• Supporters

I haven't actually ever come across anyone saying anything critical about HPA setups other than they aren't a fan of the line and tank that comes with it.

I'm still baffled why Americans seem so insistent on running their guns at as high an FPS as possible. Then they instigate bang rules because it's unpleasant getting shot at close range with them?! :lol:

• Root Admin

I own some HPA stuff now, but I must say the level of dickishness amongst HPA owners seems to be notably higher than your average player. I realise a lot of them tend to be the older players who've been playing for years and this may be why they notice the bad stuff more easily, but they do complain a lot on sites about people not taking their hits I feel.

Also, 35rps+ is always going to make one a target for criticism. One needs to be aware that they're going to be scrutinised a lot more when playing and just be extra sure not to be a knob. HPA is brilliant, but some of the people who use it aren't so much.

I only don't like hpa because of the tank and the line just doesn't seem realistic or practical to me but that's just my personal preference nothing against anyone that owns them as long as they don't think they are superior to everyone else.

• Supporters

I'll stick with public cheeky comments thanks.

What i was hoping for;

"Yeah i keep trying to quit but love it, and keep ending up on here/ at one last skirmish"

Yeah your right it’s hard trying to quit something you love doing. The only reason this whole thread went up is from a PM I received last night about my SMP. Then I saw that thing about why people hate HPA and thought it would be good to post and see.

I own some HPA stuff now, but I must say the level of dickishness amongst HPA owners seems to be notably higher than your average player. I realise a lot of them tend to be the older players who've been playing for years and this may be why they notice the bad stuff more easily, but they do complain a lot on sites about people not taking their hits I feel.

Also, 35rps+ is always going to make one a target for criticism. One needs to be aware that they're going to be scrutinised a lot more when playing and just be extra sure not to be a knob. HPA is brilliant, but some of the people who use it aren't so much.

I have mine set at 25Rps as most PTW’s do that or some AEG’s do roughly 20Rps. 25Rps is reasonable I think and I only ever use full auto for those players that don’t take there hits….. if you have 25rps coming at you, you’ll take it.

I see on the HPA pages all the time people with their ROF set outrageously high and myself being a HPA owner it pisses me off because I bet those with ROF that high wouldn’t want to be shot with it themselves so why shoot someone else with that kind of ROF.

I only don't like hpa because of the tank and the line just doesn't seem realistic or practical to me but that's just my personal preference nothing against anyone that owns them as long as they don't think they are superior to everyone else.

I agree with you completely. Wouldn't stop me using one though. :)

One of the big 'things' with airsoft that has never made sense to me, is the partial realism of the sport: "you must use RIFS", "you may use midcaps" - the hypocrisy.

No critique to you beast, or anyone else, as I do agree, but it seems all airsoft players pick and choose what elements of non realism they are willing to put up with in their kit, and others. Many without noticing the double standards they impose on others.

Either go full realism, or don't, but it should not matter what the other guy has (visually speaking), yet practically speaking - why were hicap magazines even invented, I won't use them and i'd love to play realcap games, but I don't speak a peep when out playing airsoft.

Realism and airsoft (skirmishes) are two things which do not go together.

• Supporters

I'm yet to overhear anyone at a game complain about any particular system, but I think the environment here is a bit different to the US and 98% of people use G&G AEGs anyway.

As long as your gun is within the appropriate energy limit then I do not care what it is at all, neither should anyone else. If you're using any HPA or gas-in-mag weapon and are planning to run a BB with more mass you need to take it upon yourself to chrono using that specific BB and calculate your own muzzle energy. If it's within the same Joule limits as a 0.2 at 350 then crack on.

Yeah your right it’s hard trying to quit something you love doing. The only reason this whole thread went up is from a PM I received last night about my SMP. Then I saw that thing about why people hate HPA and thought it would be good to post and see.

Cheers pal, was a troll too far. Why I love airsoft so much more than paintball, full or normal decent folk not meat-heads on a stag-do.

Was a guy with a t-shirt saying 'haters gonna hate' at my last skirmish, think he has the answer!

I really haven't seen many HPAs here in the UK, but by all accounts they have become quite a bit problem in the USA. I think in the end so long as suitable power tests are being done (0.20g and actual weight BBs) such that BB power is within site specs and reasonable rates of fire (certainly less than 30 rps) are adhered to I can't see how there would be a problem. But most sites I know don't have rps rules and I don't think I have been to a single one that tests for joule creep.

Guest PT247

Love my hpa set up on my ghk g5, hate any high rof guns.... Be they hpa, gas or electric. Guess the issue with high rof guns that are accurate too mean that more BBs will hit you in the face before they stop pulling the trigger. Only way to play with an accurate gun is semi only, else peeps get angry.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.