Helmets - what's the opinion?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Played for the first time this Sunday, got the bug so I'm frantically looking at more gear.

My forehead felt a little exposed when peaking, especially in CQC. What's the feeling on helmets?

Are they necessary?

Comfortable?

How much should I spend if I get one?

Thanks

If you buy one, the EmersonGear fast helms have a good rep for the most simplistic level of helmets, but they have two types, basic - interior is one lump of polystyrene(i think) padding, and no adjustment screw, and advanced, which has removable pads and a size screw, measure your head before buying!

Generally they're a rip off in this country anyway, so something better might be affordable, but don't ask me what, I started my airsoft hobby copying popular youtubers - I do not regret it.

Note - as you will see from other forum topics (see search) these helmets are replicas and should not be treated as an object expected to protect your head in a situation you'd expect them to, that said, tree branches door/window frames, a basic knock into a wall, and BB's they're great. Just don't go jumping off a mountain in them - probably shouldn't ride a bike either.

• Supporters

cheapo FAST type helmet rather than a pith m88 helmet

you don't absolutely NEED one until you bash/scrape ya noggin

then you NEEDED one !!!!

yes you can get by with something like a baseball cap/beanie

but believe it or not a mediocre helmet and some cheapo knee pads does help avoid a few bashsed nuts n knees

(especially if scrambling about in woodland or smashing your head on a door frame in cqb)

edit - bashed nuts = head btw, for the other type you need a groin box

and a little "chat" with your opponent if they keep shooting your own personal bb's

cheapo snidey FAST type about £30 fleabay UK selleror

about £20 upwards from EU or overseas and wait a while

do tend to give you that "pro" image but only if you got some other attire as well

mind you for cqb at places like the Mall I don't think anything beats a guy in suit dark shades/goggles and packing 2 x pistols

(either he's extreme bad-ass or just doesn't give a toss about pain when you look that feckin' hard)

Thanks!

I'm only trying to protect my money maker lol. A nice big welt on my forehead might not go down so well working in a Bank.

Would a baseball cap actually provide protection? I suppose the brim would stop and direct spam shots, and I'm not worried about being shot on the hair area (no sure what that's called, skull?).

I tend to wear boonie hats and caps more than helmets in CQB but that's a choice I make about comfort over protection. You still feel the hits as if you weren't wearing one (especially with a boonie) but I've never had one leave an obvious mark to my skin even from close ranges.

But helmets are a better choice - especially if you play in darker indoor sites. More than a few times I've knocked my head on something solid.

Scalp! That's the one!

I have a lower face mask which helped, but I'm from Essex so naturally my hair is slicked back and forehead is always on show lol.

Just ordered a camo cap which I think will help for the short term, see how I get on.

Cheers everybody!

• Supporters

I used to wear a baseball cap but recently switched to an FMA FAST PJ style helmet. Playing a lot of CQB I was getting pissed off with welts on my forehead so it's been a good investment from that point of view.

Having seen both in the flesh I would suggest an FMA one over an Emerson though. Plus all the helmet accessories (mounts, clips rails etc) are much better finished from FMA than Emerson too.

• Head Moderator

At my first airsoft game I just had on a balaclava under a hire full face mask and took a single BB to the forehead a close range. After yelling "Hit! Good shot", I realised in hindsight that it would have been a good idea to have worn the offered hire helmet.

Next day I purchased a FAST helmet from Ebay for £38 and now no more painful head shots. Looking at some of the scratches in the plastic shows where I may have scraped/struck my head painfully without a skid lid. Also I have attached my face mask to the helmet which works well

Ok, so following some of your advice I've been looking at helmets. There is one problem however....

As you can see from my username, I have a rather large head. Most of the helmets I can see are 60cm / 24 inches. This frankly, isn't even close lol.

Anybody know where I can find a larger 'fast' helmet?

• Supporters

My fma just about fits me, I have a 62cm head.

The first time I played at the Embassy (sadly now closed) I walked into a metal post in the dark basement section! After that, I bought a helmet :) I initially bought a cheap skateboard helmet in black, but although having an actual safety rating it made me look like I was about to be shot out of a canon :) I now have an Emerson type fast helmet, which looks the part etc as per the reviews above. Certainly enough to protect against a bb hit and the odd bumped/scraped head.

If you prefer ball caps, you can buy bump caps on ebay that have hard shells. No affiliation to the seller - this is the first one I found: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portwest-Navy-Bump-Cap-Safety-Work-Hard-Hat-Vented-Baseball-Style-Mens-Helmet-/200824979575?var=&hash=item2ec21a0077 which will be good for bb hits too.

For woodland I have a boonie hat that I've hand sown some foam padding into around the inside, so it looks OK and hits tend to be from a longer range and not sting as much ;-)

I have the cheapo polystyrene one, i removed the poly insert and put my own pads in.

If youve got a fat head and small buget, this is the way to go.

i find the helmet/headset/lower mesh combo gives me more confidence to run em down. Where as with a ball cap and sawflys i tend to be more cautious.

I also wear martial arts style junk protection.

mrs haze wouldnt be interested if i came home with a load of welts on my bell hahaha

Some great ideas here, thanks all.

I bought a camo cap which was delivered today, I suppose I could do some adjustments to add protection.

As my collection grows, I will want to look the part so will invest in a proper helmet.

True story - my Dad gave up motorcycling because wearing a helmet was so uncomfortable for him, even open face ones.

2nd true story - the doctors thought I was deformed in the womb because my head was so large.

3rs true story - I was like a power pod as a child

Pleased to say I look fairly normal now lol

http://www.ebairsoft.com/maritime-helmet-tb815-p-7424.html

This would be a very wise choice as a starting helmet - obviously a FAST-styled one so relatively simple and doesn't require much money putting into unlike my TMC AirFrame in which I've had to invest money on a real-deal retention system due to comfort issues.

Also, looks (and probably feels, due to being FMA) pretty damn close to the real Ops-Core for the price.

• Moderators

on the topics of helmets and you guys who use them, and to save me starting a new topic after searching! (feel free to split mods if required)

8fields helmets here, any good,, ok cheaper than some but look ok...for my use

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-head-protection/8fields-tactical-fast-helmet-w-velcro-top-panels-tan.htm#.VcrzKvlVhBc

ok they have other options on site....

BUT are these add ons here likely to fit or are they geared more towards Emersongear helmets?

like the idea of removing bits, especially the ear side panels...its all about customisation :)

http://hwairsoft.com/airsoft-ops-core-mich-af-tactical-helmet-front-guard-protector-tan-sand-cb-uk/

http://hwairsoft.com/airsoft-ops-core-tactical-helmet-tan-sand-de-mich-blt-jump-side-panels-uk-rail/

advice from you guys is proving invaluable! :)

• Supporters

on the topics of helmets and you guys who use them, and to save me starting a new topic after searching! (feel free to split mods if required)

8fields helmets here, any good,, ok cheaper than some but look ok...for my use

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-head-protection/8fields-tactical-fast-helmet-w-velcro-top-panels-tan.htm#.VcrzKvlVhBc

ok they have other options on site....

BUT are these add ons here likely to fit or are they geared more towards Emersongear helmets?

like the idea of removing bits, especially the ear side panels...its all about customisation :)

http://hwairsoft.com/airsoft-ops-core-mich-af-tactical-helmet-front-guard-protector-tan-sand-cb-uk/

http://hwairsoft.com/airsoft-ops-core-tactical-helmet-tan-sand-de-mich-blt-jump-side-panels-uk-rail/

advice from you guys is proving invaluable! :)

I'd still suggest spending a bit more and getting an FMA but if you just want a cheap helmet that looks the part and stops you getting welts on your head then it'll be fine. Just don't expect any actual impact protection from it.

As for the accessories then yes they'll be fine. They should fit and FAST style helmet. The sideplates fit to the rail which is fairly universal and the chinguard uses velcro inside the helmet.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

having suffered a knock on the head sat,,,,don't go into dark rooms first! although I don't remember it last time...anyway...., bloody vandals I reckon!....even some stairs had gone from a previous game im sure...., ive revisited the subject! haha

so looked at Emerson for a while and now FMA, and like he dial thing at the back, and thanks to Lozart, FMA will be purchased at the weekend!, cheaper than the Emerson one ive seen anyway

accessories i'll get online now!

now need some different eye pro instead of my mesh goggles...mmmmmmmmm......back to search!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.