New UK Kit incoming...

EvilMonkee

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

All you UK loadout lot pay attention!

Good luck in getting your greasy mitts on this lot:

http://www.combatandsurvival.com/news/international/570-new-integrated-personal-protection-for-uk-forces

Contract awarded...

http://www.army.mod.uk/news/27112.aspx

Looks like our new helmet is close to the Revision Cobra which looks very similar to the Russian helmet

I've seen photos of the Virtus system on the Army's Facebook page. What exactly is the purpose of that adjustable plastic spine section on the back of the carrier? It's got some sort of pneumatic system to adjust it, which doesn't look very squaddie proof

To help with load bearing I think

Yep. The sales talk says it shifts weight across the back, shoulders and hips, and is indeed adjustable with a hand thing.

• Supporters

Not a new concept, LBT, Crye and a couple of others have been making stuff like that for at least 3-4 years (probably far longer for sneaky types). The problem with armour carriers vs webbing is that a properly adjusted PLCE belt would sit on your hips and the yoke took the other part of the weight, whereas Osprey etc hangs all that weight of armour and ammo/med kit/water/food/whatever else on your shoulders.

I've not tried any system like this myself to comment, but from what I've heard it has been used a fair bit in afghan by certain types who did benefit from not having so much weight hanging purely from their shoulders for greatly extended periods. I know from the shorts amount of time I've had to wear ECBA that it rubbed the sides of my neck absolutely raw in quite little time given the poor fitment, felt bloody awful and I wasn't in combat or anything even close.

There is a big medicalised push to improve shrapnel injury survival rates,

plates have been great for torso injuries, developments with CATs Gucci bandages, quick clot, TXA ect for limbs as exanguating haemorrhages, but the biggest weakness are still the Neck and groin with the carotid and femoral arteries respectively.

You are right, almost every life changing wound I know of has been from shrapnel, my best mate was opened up from the arm pit to the wrist by mortor shrap, that came over the compound wall if it had been a rifle round to the arm, chances are he'd still be serving now.

Saying that the idiot should have been in the accom block not his basher like he was told...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.