New to sport - Nobody to play with :-(

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey,

I'm really interested in taking part in Airsoft regularly.

The only problem is I have nobody to go with! None of my friends are interested in the sport, and I am nervous about going on my own.

How are lone players usually reacted to?

Will somebody take me under their wing lol?

I'd honestly say you're better off going by yourself the first few times, ask people about their guns, about 95% of airsoft players love talking about their stuff so talk to them about it. It's the easiest way of getting to know other players!

I've never been to a site which is even vaguely hostile to new lone players, it's simply not in anyone's interests, they need new blood to keep going!

I agree with Adam! I have gone 4 times and my most recent time I was alone. Like Adam said it is in everyone's interest to be friendly to each other (Even though tempers may flame on the field due to supposed cheaters).

Going alone will certainly give you chance to speak to people about their gear, in the safe zone don't stay at your spot, walk about, more than likely people will say hello.

Hey,

I'm really interested in taking part in Airsoft regularly.

The only problem is I have nobody to go with! None of my friends are interested in the sport, and I am nervous about going on my own.

How are lone players usually reacted to?

Will somebody take me under their wing lol?

I'm glad you posted this, I'm going to Epsom on my own tomorrow and have been a bit skeptical about it. I know the airsoft scene is a friendly one, just didn't want to be wondering about feeling a bit out of place! I wouldn't worry, everyone is there with the same intentions and what better way of finding friends that ARE interested in the sport than to meet some already taking part!

I'm glad you posted this, I'm going to Epsom on my own tomorrow and have been a bit skeptical about it. I know the airsoft scene is a friendly one, just didn't want to be wondering about feeling a bit out of place! I wouldn't worry, everyone is there with the same intentions and what better way of finding friends that ARE interested in the sport than to meet some already taking part!

Glad somebody is taking the plunge with me! You are my motivation to go now lol!

I guess everybody was a beginner once upon a time

• Supporters

Epsom often take you out first game in parties of 3 with a regular.

Often your party diminishes quickly so head back n pick up a different 2 players so you mix it up a bit getting to know layout n other players.

Don't move too slowly or you get shot by the next party of 3 following you but good way to break the ice

Epsom often take you out first game in parties of 3 with a regular.

Often your party diminishes quickly so head back n pick up a different 2 players so you mix it up a bit getting to know layout n other players.

Don't move too slowly or you get shot by the next party of 3 following you but good way to break the ice

I think the site I will be going to (Billericay) do something similar. At least that way the Rookies will have strength in numbers

• Supporters

Turning up on your own is no problem and I've done it myself a number of times. It's a pretty good way to meet people and on the off chance anyone gives you the cold shoulder just talk to someone else.

I've had people lend me guns and let me group up with them for the day when I started. If someone seems a bit off I wouldn't worry about it, although most airsofters are friendly.

As mentioned, airsoft players love talking about their loadouts (costs quite a bit and it gives an opportunity to talk about what they've done). Another interesting way is to have a pretty interesting loadout yourself! Although this is quite unnecessary, it will still turn heads if you've got something that looks pretty unique (in a good way). Maybe a few will come over and ask about it, just like what you could possibly do with them. Once you start really looking into guns, you can see just how different they really are, which makes interesting conversation.

Best of luck with you! I too have no friends interested in airsoft (they have decided to spend their money monster PCs for gaming, or drugs... The latter being the people I don't usually talk to anymore, why buy drugs when you can get airsoft stuff!). Sure, curiosity is sparked when they see my guns but the price throws them off.

It is fine to go alone, but try to start some small talk or something - it is easy with airsoft players. Just walk up and compliment their gun :L

• Moderators

take the jump and go!.....i waited (or wasted!!) years, im talking since 2001 to actually get to a site (other factors were involved, work, family, sport, hesitant etc ), due to that, the law changed, places closed, new ones popped up!. Ive been once so far and will be going back after the summer hols, a few places now in mind, 6 i think, all within an hours drive so ideal to mix it up!

agree with the guys about talking, i found a few were a little 'not wanting to talk much' but others wouldnt stop, you get a great mix which is why its so fun!

don't hold back, you'll regret it, i have!, go go go and don't look back! ;)

fixed spelling mistake and 'wouldnt stop corrected!

I just went out a few years back and found a very friendly bunch of people and now I know a lot of new guys. I team up with some guys I play with regularly but I still make an effort to say hi to all the new guys, help them out, talk gear or whatever and have them tag along with my group. I have never had an issue turning up to a site on my own and finding some guys to show me the ropes of the game and the site, not once in 1.5 years.

As mentioned by otherds already - I've gone solo numerous times & everybody is friendly and welcoming, also gives you in insight how other operate / what their loadouts are, big opportunity to broaden your Airsoft spectrum & knowledge with those who you may not of necissarily interacted with!

Group of friends and I are off to Billericay on the 9th if you fancy joining our table? Got two new-ish (2 games) guys also so you wouldn't be "noob-ish" at all :)!

Group of friends and I are off to Billericay on the 9th if you fancy joining our table? Got two new-ish (2 games) guys also so you wouldn't be "noob-ish" at all :)!

Sounds great, as long as you don't mind. I'm 100% going this weekend, so hopefully will get a little experience under my belt. I should be able to go next weekend, social diary permitting (not really, this post clearly states that's a lie lol)

Fingers crossed, thanks very much!

Thought I'd give you a update from Epsom last night, went by myself, wasn't a problem! 99% of the players were friendly, chatty and more than happy to show me the ropes. It's a brilliant site, staff were great and provided drinks and snacks in the price. Ended up ditching the rental ak and taking advantage of my two glock 18's instead.

Anyway, bottom line. Great place and I will be returning next Wednesday

I had this dilemma around 18 months ago, in the end I just went solo and don't regret it as now i'm hooked, I only had to show my face 5 minutes before i was mingling with some of the regulars. We all have to start somewhere!

Thought I'd give you a update from Epsom last night, went by myself, wasn't a problem! 99% of the players were friendly, chatty and more than happy to show me the ropes. It's a brilliant site, staff were great and provided drinks and snacks in the price. Ended up ditching the rental ak and taking advantage of my two glock 18's instead.

Anyway, bottom line. Great place and I will be returning next Wednesday

Great news, not so bad by yourself is it. Sounds like you've caught the bug.

Sounds great, as long as you don't mind. I'm 100% going this weekend, so hopefully will get a little experience under my belt. I should be able to go next weekend, social diary permitting (not really, this post clearly states that's a lie lol)

Fingers crossed, thanks very much!

Hope you're still going tomorrow and got all your kit laid out (I usually have it a couple days early, haha!)! Are you renting there, what gun have you chosen?

Hope you're still going tomorrow and got all your kit laid out (I usually have it a couple days early, haha!)! Are you renting there, what gun have you chosen?

Yep Im committed to going, funnily enough I have, and the batteries are charging as we speak lol.

I've been busy, got some army surplus gear, face mask, new hi cap mag and a new large battery. Had a visit to the airsoft shop in Romford after work today, they are great in there.

When I was 17 I was working full time, and literally couldn't spend the money (learning to drive and couldn't drink) so I randomly bought an AEG! So I'm taking that with me. Its been a few years hence why I thought a new battery would be prudent.

I have a habit of throwing money at a hobby, then stopping after two weeks (I have a guitar, carbon Road bike & simulation racing cockpit to prove it)

Let's hope this lasts longer!

You still going next weekend?

Great news, not so bad by yourself is it. Sounds like you've caught the bug.

I caught the bug and bought half the gear before I'd even played my first game. Since playing the game that 'bug' has become an infection! Ha, went down to airsoft zone today, got myself some new condor pouches, extended glock mags (to feed my cqb pistol addiction) and a 2nd glock (we glock 19)

• Supporters

Welcome dude, I was new to this 2 months ago and now I'm addicted! I started off solo and everyone is so welcoming it surprised me. Just be confident and take your hits ;)

Welcome dude, I was new to this 2 months ago and now I'm addicted! I started off solo and everyone is so welcoming it surprised me. Just be confident and take your hits ;)

If you've ever been to Epsom or heard stories of it, you'll know that there is no way of NOT calling hits, even for those that choose not too. The environment is so close (not to mention full auto being the norm) not calling isn't a option!

But bloody good fun! Just going solo the once has goven me the confidence to never be shy of going solo again. Where about do you play?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.