New player I want to snipe tips on loadout

Gimpy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all I am in the process of getting my licence so that I can decide which sniper to get at the moment I have my eye set on ' g & p m14 dmr sniper rifle' I have read some reviews on this gun and all say its a berry nice gun but not much in the way of sniping with it .

I would also like some tips on general gear I have in mind a half ghillie top with some combat trousers .

Kind regards Chris

Very large rifle. Would suggest you see one in the flesh before buying.

A lot of new players are drawn towards being a sniper.

Unless you really are sure its a style you are going to like, I would be wary. Many are drawn by the mystique but get bored of waiting around a long way from the action.

If you want to play an active role but are drawn towards that style of gun, there are lots of smaller DMR on the market.

Gear depends on what role you want to play in games.

Very large rifle. Would suggest you see one in the flesh before buying.

Unless you really are sure its a style you are going to like, I would be wary. Many are drawn by the mystique but get bored of waiting around a long way from the action.

If you want to play an active role but are drawn towards that style of gun, there are lots of smaller DMR on the market.

Gear depends on what role you want to play in games.

Yeah it would be great for CQB.

I see your sarcasm! Yes I do! But in all seriousness, the M14 DMR is not a CQB weapon.

This is very, very true and like he says, you need to be entirely sure you want to be a sniper. I attempted to snipe in my latest Airsoft vid and I seriously did not have the patience to properly snipe people (Though it was cool using a proper bolt action).

• Supporters

Best thing to get is a well built aeg that shoots just as far but is full auto and has no engagement distance.

Was looking at a dmr not long ago that someone had put lots of time and money into and had locked it to single fire.

It got about 5 metres more range than my gun and was no more accurate (I actually thought less accurate but didnt get chance for a proper test) and I only have a 247mm barrel length. I actually think the whole sniper rifle/dmr thing is a bit of a waste in airsoft.

I concluded that DMRs were only feasible with HPA and a system with multiple barrel assemblies, one of the key facets of airsoft DMRs is consistency, you'd be a marksman after all, if you cant get an ultra low spread, what's the point even if your range is not so great.

It's too expensive to do it for a new player , but it sure is less time than converting an AEG or stock springer.

• Supporters

Best thing to get is a well built aeg that shoots just as far but is full auto and has no engagement distance.

Was looking at a dmr not long ago that someone had put lots of time and money into and had locked it to single fire.

It got about 5 metres more range than my gun and was no more accurate (I actually thought less accurate but didnt get chance for a proper test) and I only have a 247mm barrel length. I actually think the whole sniper rifle/dmr thing is a bit of a waste in airsoft.

M14 EBR for the win ;)

• Supporters

Will have to test it out once I have my titanium hop unit sorted. Do like the m14 ebr though.

I have the CYMA Mod 1 version. If you get to Iron SIght you can have a try :)

I'd suggest you buy an aeg rifle ie an m4 with a long barrel and low magnification scope. Airsoft snipping isn't as fun as it may sound and is usually a role taken on by people who have been playing for a while or have watched too meny American army films. a good m4 with hop dialed in will shoot far enough but also mean you can switch roles mid game if you want to have some full auto fun.

Thank you all I appreciate all your comments and have decided to that your all right and I will be getting an aeg when the time comes.

It also cuts my total starting cost down almost £200 I was looking at an (ICS m4 RAS oa93 with folding stock)

Folding stock was primeraly designed to alow easy exit from a vehicle. Shooting any weapon without a stock will comprise the platform stability. IMHO better to go with a Crain style stock, especially as it sounds like you will be playing outside. I can see why some people my use it in cqb but I've never found it necessary. Look at g&g raider long.

Wise choice not being a sniper trust me :)

I'd look at G&G over ICS as G&G are 99% TM compatible whereas some ICS parts are more bespoke (inside AND outside). If you're really set on ICS don't get the folding stock, get a crane or fixed stock for battery space in the back.

I would definitely consider the previously mentioned G&G Raiders (short or long idk where you play) or if you want to splash out perhaps look at their top tech range.

• Supporters

I can count on one finger the number of full game days where I have used my JG Bar10 boltie (I've had it for 2 years). And on a single hand the number of half days.

There are so many variables that come into play with sniper style play that I think you would soon get bored and give up if this was your only source of airsofting kit. For a start you need a gun that has been upgraded and had a serious amount of time and energy put into it.

Then you need a decent and very reliable secondary for engagements within your MED, somewhere between 20 and 30m for most sites.

For me that rules out sniping during the cooler months, because gas pistols can sometimes be unreliable in the cold. In addition, if winds are strong, or gusting you can't make reliable adjustments between shots so hitting your target is more luck than good shooting.

Then there is the speed of play, unless you know a site has really good areas suited to sniping play, or the games will be played at a fairly slow pace to allow you to sneak into a position, get dug in, take a few shots and then get away without being seen, you will find you are constantly struggling to keep up with the action, or people are very quickly within your MED.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.