Making a bfg

sickswan

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Anyone on here made a bfg before. I'm thinking impact design would be easier than timed however not set on that yet. Ally construction bar the firing pin wrapped in Delrin for longevity.

Background info I work as an engineer and have my own lathe and mill I can't justify paying all that money when I have the materials and means to knock a small batch up.. Just wondered if anyone else on here had made any.

The tricky part will be the ball joint for a tilt head design however a ball nose cutter and ball bearing faced, drilled and tapped ought to suffice..

Any input welcome

• Supporters

I don't know if it's legal or if it is then is it allowed to use in a game.

I have thought about it, as I'm designing things for 3d printing and couldn't reason £80 for a grenade. :)

Impact version is easier to make but timed is not that hard either if you have lathe. It's just the timing precision that's not easy to do.

I don't really like the impact bfg with that weight pushing the pin. It doesn't go off on soft ground. The tornado's impact is much more reliable I think but way too complicated to set it.

impact-08.png

The timed ones all work on the same principle: there is a piston that has a spring in it and it moves in a cylinder that only has a tiny hole to allow air in or gas out. This way the piston moves slowly when the pin releases it, and when it reaches the end of the cylinder, and slams into the primer or just allows the rest of the gas escape instantly. The problem here is that timing depends on the lubrication of the piston, the temperature, the dirt, etc.

Custom mechanic timer would be too complicated to make. Custom electric timer takes up lot of space with the batteries and is easily damaged.

Thanks samurai I started knocking a prototype up today I've gone for an impact type using a ball joint and flange face. Ground the ball joint in the drill on the bench grinder and knocked up the main body and firing pin I've used nimonic for the pin hopefully wear slower and made it replaceable with an m6 thread on the end just waiting to borrow an m24 tap an die to carry on tomorrow hopefully have it together by tomo night if I do an it works as should I'll post some pics up..

• 3 weeks later...

A mate of mine was making some russian f1 style impact grenades and I was told by the site organisers that if someone was injured that I would be responsible unless the grenades was tested and in commercial production.

No sites insurance will cover an untested item like this, the companies that produce them spend a ton of money on r&ad and testing with the proper authorities to allow them to be sold to consumers

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.