Firearm ban

Holt19851985

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Section 21 of firearms legistaion covers convictions and firearms bans.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/21

This bans for life or for 5 years from release depending on the conviction, but addresses only firearms and ammunition.  (Any type of firearm)

It doesn’t mention “anything that looks like a firearm”, or water pistols

Section 5 defines firearms

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/5

Under section 57A an airsoft gun is not a firearm (this is to allow it to be treated as an imitation [IF or RIF] in the VCRA) ... provided it is within the power ratings

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/57A

With a general look I cannot see anything in the VCRA about a ban on RIFs/IFs to former convicts .... but there’s a lot of areas of that act, and along with drinking banning orders searches of ‘conviction’, ‘convicted’, ‘ban’ etc come up with a lot of results to look through, and  ‘sentenced’ etc has no results.

If correct then unless restrictions on release included other factors then airsoft could be exempt from the lifetime / 5 year restrictions.  But it probably isn’t worth gambling your freedom on a technicality and seeing if a court will agree.

Airguns are firearms under the act.

A paintball gun is a firearm - “a low powered air weapon that discharges frangible ammunition” and falls in and out of various parts of legislation.  

However - before using people on the internet for advice and subsequently finding yourself back in prison for possessing a firearm get some proper clarification from your lawyer/probation officer/local police etc

• Supporters
34 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

It doesn’t mention “anything that looks like a firearm”, or water pistols

Exactly.  Not that I'd want to wind up anyone who's done something worthy of at least 3 years incarceration, but I am wondering if these are tales that grow in the telling.

On 26/12/2018 at 09:25, Rogerborg said:

Exactly.  Not that I'd want to wind up anyone who's done something worthy of at least 3 years incarceration, but I am wondering if these are tales that grow in the telling.

I'm also of the same opinion, especially as s.57A Firearms Act specifically excludes Airsoft replicas that are within the 1.3J/2.5J power limits from the definition of "firearm"

I wouldn't want to discount any additional orders that may have been placed on an individual prohibiting the possession of imitations however!

Then again I don't necessarily place too much trust in the legislative process, the intention of parliament and what is written on vellum can and do differ, sometimes significantly.

• 3 years later...
Guest HughesyMJR
On 31/07/2015 at 02:28, two_zero said:

Oh you do, do you?

If I had it my way, criminals evicted of assault would not be allowed to learn how to more effectively hurt people. I have just lived enough life to know that a lot of criminals does just this, reoffend, get caught, let out again and so it goes.

It is a game and a sport, but it does utilise items that can and are being used in criminal activity, hence who can participate should be limited.

As for common sense in laws.. I really do not see what you are hinting at, but common sense does sadly not apply in English laws, nor is it possible with the way the legal system works in England.

I do not think this discussion can further progress I can not see your point of view and you can clearly not see mine. I suggest we leave it at that.

Hello there, maybe you can shed some light on the questions that I have regarding your comments on this subject… 14 years ago I was sentenced to 4 and a half years in prison for section18 wounding with intent to commit grievous bodily harm (no weapons). The victim was the violent partner of my mum who would regularly beat her to the point she was unrecognisable, demand sex then when she refused he would beat her a little more then have sex with her regardless, which constitutes as rape, as in most domestic violence cases he hid behind the silence of the victim, she was too scared to speak out. So yeah I beat him to the point he was within inches of his life, you’d do the same for your mum right?… I was 18 at the time. Fast forward 14 years, I’m a father of 5 children, I have my own home, a full time job on top of being self employed, I volunteer for many charities and organisations including the army cadet force, blood bikes, motorsport uk and so on. I enjoy airsoft as a sport, I also enjoy Krav Maga as a sport. So is what your saying that as an ex convict of one crime 14 years ago (which I could have got away with if I hadn’t been honest and admitted it) I’m not entitled to live a normal life? I’m to constantly be burdened? I’ll never serve my time? I’m wrong to expect to be able to do anything enjoyable? I’ll be as honest with you as you are with your narrow minded viewpoint… it’s people like you, yes you with such narrow minded, contemptuous mindsets that are the exact reason why a lot of offenders never rehabilitate, constant criticism, looking down on them making them feel ashamed for making a mistake however big or small. I think you need to go and have a seriously long hard chat with yourself and realise your probably not as perfect as you think. Tell me you’ve never driven one mph over the speed limit? (That’s still speeding) never purchased a knife from a supermarket then walked home with it? (Yes that’s still possession of a bladed offensive weapon in a public place) Cycled on a pavement?… after all a crime is a crime right? Get a grip of yourself seriously. I play airsoft and I own RIFs, am I going to hurt someone with it? Damn right and they’re going to hurt me with theirs, that’s how the game goes. Am I going to maliciously go out of my house and walk down the street shooting random members of the public to hurt, scare or rob them? Am I fuck as like. They’re kept under a lock and key away from my children, are transported in a locked case to and from a game site and used with targets and net in my back garden. 

so before you judge, be mindful that not everything is as narrow as your illogical thinking. Have a nice day 👍

• Supporters

• Supporters
7 hours ago, HughesyMJR said:

Hello there, maybe you can shed some light on the questions that I have regarding your comments on this subject… 14 years ago I was sentenced to 4 and a half years in prison for section18 wounding with intent to commit grievous bodily harm (no weapons). The victim was the violent partner of my mum who would regularly beat her to the point she was unrecognisable, demand sex then when she refused he would beat her a little more then have sex with her regardless, which constitutes as rape, as in most domestic violence cases he hid behind the silence of the victim, she was too scared to speak out. So yeah I beat him to the point he was within inches of his life, you’d do the same for your mum right?… I was 18 at the time. Fast forward 14 years, I’m a father of 5 children, I have my own home, a full time job on top of being self employed, I volunteer for many charities and organisations including the army cadet force, blood bikes, motorsport uk and so on. I enjoy airsoft as a sport, I also enjoy Krav Maga as a sport. So is what your saying that as an ex convict of one crime 14 years ago (which I could have got away with if I hadn’t been honest and admitted it) I’m not entitled to live a normal life? I’m to constantly be burdened? I’ll never serve my time? I’m wrong to expect to be able to do anything enjoyable? I’ll be as honest with you as you are with your narrow minded viewpoint… it’s people like you, yes you with such narrow minded, contemptuous mindsets that are the exact reason why a lot of offenders never rehabilitate, constant criticism, looking down on them making them feel ashamed for making a mistake however big or small. I think you need to go and have a seriously long hard chat with yourself and realise your probably not as perfect as you think. Tell me you’ve never driven one mph over the speed limit? (That’s still speeding) never purchased a knife from a supermarket then walked home with it? (Yes that’s still possession of a bladed offensive weapon in a public place) Cycled on a pavement?… after all a crime is a crime right? Get a grip of yourself seriously. I play airsoft and I own RIFs, am I going to hurt someone with it? Damn right and they’re going to hurt me with theirs, that’s how the game goes. Am I going to maliciously go out of my house and walk down the street shooting random members of the public to hurt, scare or rob them? Am I fuck as like. They’re kept under a lock and key away from my children, are transported in a locked case to and from a game site and used with targets and net in my back garden. 

so before you judge, be mindful that not everything is as narrow as your illogical thinking. Have a nice day 👍

WTF ?????😳

8 hours ago, HughesyMJR said:

Paragraphs! Necro!

I don’t care why you were convicted, a RIF isn’t a firearm lol

8 hours ago, HughesyMJR said:

Well, that was a helluva first post on a very dead thread. 

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Well, that was a helluva first post on a very dead thread. 

If he could be turned, he would be a powerful ally.

• 1 year later...
On 21/07/2015 at 14:40, Holt19851985 said:

So this is a really tricky one, I have a family member that used to play airsoft along time ago and would like to go back to it with us, there is of course only one issue a firearm ban.

He ended up in prison and because of the sentence length got himself an automatic firearm ban.

Spoke to the firearm department they don't even know they just say bb guns are air powered firearms so it's a no.

I read on a police website that the power an airsoft rifle makes it toy like and isnt classed as a firearm.

Can you play airsoft with a firearm ban.. It's a really tricky one. I don't see why you should be stopped from a hobby like this for an unrelated prison sentence ect.

Hopefully someone can help clear this up

Many thanks in advance

Hello. I haven't been sentenced to a firearms crime but my sentence gave me a lifetime firearms ban. I did purchase an 11.4 flb air rifle and 2 co2 powered bb guns. I got done for possession of a firearm while prohibited for the air rifle and the bb guns were just toys, I recieved 100hours community service for the air rifle. Everyone in court wanted it thrown out because it had nothing to do with the public but the judge wanted the rifle tested. I was told a month prior to me purchasing the rifle the law changed and you're allowed to possess a 1jewle rifle. My bb guns were a remmington m1911 rac and sti co2 powered which shoots around 5.6flb, which I think is above 1joul of energy, I think it's legal but always check with the law

Air weapon (a firearm) and airsoft (not a firearm) are totally separate class of objects under Firearms Act. Airsoft being its own category is not considered a firearm.

Depending on the exact wording of your sentence, a firearms ban probably means you cannot touch air weapons, but you can still play airsoft because airsoft is not firearm.

From your description it sounds like you were done for the air rifles, but not for airsoft. Your "bb guns" may be air weapons if your BB is the metal kind of BBs and not the 6mm plastic airsoft BBs.

@Mr haymes @Pseudotectonic

The key point on airsoft is that compliant airsoft guns that are within the definition linked are no longer firearms within the act.

Prior to that exemption they were ‘low power air weapons’ which are within the definition of a firearm 

A key technicality is “for the purposes of this act”

Therefore take legal advice on what definition of a firearm applies to your restrictions to ensure that your airsoft BB guns were & are not an issue

Sometimes a definition is carried across legislation and sometimes it refers to ‘as defined in’.  If not specified then it’s subject to interpretation 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.