Best BB Weight for an AEG

Snakeeyes75

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, I realize this is a really noobie question but I thought I'd ask it anyway. (Not seen a post recently about it) What is the best choice of BB weight in an AEG? I have a Scar L so it's only firing at 300 fps. I usually use .25's but at range I find that the spread is a bit crap. Not sure what a standard Hop up will lift?

it all depends on weather conditions and foliage i use .30s and find them to work very well, make sure your barrel and hop are clean and free of debris as that can reduce accuracy.

have a go with bb bastard .28s very high quality bbs

I've been having a go with .30s, still need a bit longer to decide properly, but so far I'm impressed with the consistency, I'm even considering shelling out for a magnified sight come payday

I have a -1.25-5x scope which certainly helps with the longer shots and ammo conservation. I wasn't sure if .3's were just that but too much for the hop but I'll get hold of some .28's!

• Supporters

tried some Premium Rockets.28's quickly on the 350fps cm515 - bad idea at the time in a fight

(they dropped so much quicker so spent time in a fight trying to adjust hop and was taken out very quickly)

but when we got back a bit of messing & tweaking and yup they flew very well n straight

my biggest critic - my son said that's bloody true n straight but need a longer garden now

and he is a fussy so and so.

Gonna deffo get some some more .25's and see about some more .28's too maybe

So that's the general consensus then? Just go as heavy as your hop can lift? If that's the case, my g5 flat hopped might be better with .40s :P

All guns except my pistol lift 30s with very little hop turned on. The pistol won't lift them but I use them anyway because I can't be bothered keeping two different weight bbs in two speedloaders

What I did was do some accuracy tests at paper indoors from a prone supported position. I fired a variety of different ammo out of both the Tar 21, the G&G T4-18 gen 3 and the transparent combat machine and looked at the actual spread across 20 shots but only at 10 metres. I also do .22/7.62 rifle shooting as well as air pistol so I have an idea of what my accuracy which helps. My own experiments showed that 0.25g was quite a bit better than 0.20 and 0.30 out of the tar is even more accurate still.

What I did not do is a nice controlled experiment so I don't really want to publish the results, too much human error involved. But personally I saw about 3 inch groups with 0.20g and 2 inch groups with 0.25g out of both the G&G guns with the Combat machine being maybe 2/16ths better than the T4-18. The tar 21 now its been upgraded seems to put out 1cm groupings with 0.30g ammo. But the thing is all the guns like different ammo weights and types in these tests. The G&G T4-18 for example shoots much better on blasters than bastards whereas the combat machine doesn't really care, both prefer 0.25g over 0.20 however. Then the Tar 21 overhops anything below 0.28g's and its accuracy is vastly better than either of the other two guns but it also can't use the same ammo in the same test.

• Supporters

Use whatever your gun shoots best. It all depends on hop up and starting fps. The more rigid a hop the more it suits heavier bbs for accuracy but no point having bbs that travel too slowly either. Forget all about 2inch groupings and such as long as you can hit a torso and your bbs get there before hes ran off is all that really matters.

• Supporters

Use whatever your gun shoots best. It all depends on hop up and starting fps. The more rigid a hop the more it suits heavier bbs for accuracy but no point having bbs that travel too slowly either. Forget all about 2inch groupings and such as long as you can hit a torso and your bbs get there before hes ran off is all that really matters.

agreed, that's the important bit, .3s are all well and good for accuracy but when they go slower than a bus it'a a waste.

agreed, that's the important bit, .3s are all well and good for accuracy but when they go slower than a bus it'a a waste.

I noticed you run a Scar L, what weight do you use? as you say, the heavier the BB the slower the velocity and a .25 has up to now been what I use however I'd still prefer the accuracy over the range.

• Supporters

I noticed you run a Scar L, what weight do you use? as you say, the heavier the BB the slower the velocity and a .25 has up to now been what I use however I'd still prefer the accuracy over the range.

I haven't used it for over a year but I only ever used .25s in it apart from once when I used .28s and .2s in cqb. The .28s were better but not enough for me to go out of my way to get some (the site I used to play at didn't stock them). Unless it was running very close to 350 then I'd honestly stick to .25s and instead upgrade the barrel and hop. I've never really found the need to up the weight in an aeg, then again it's not the same for everybody

I tried .28 in my G36 yesterday & got a bit more range than .25

.25's in My M4 will hit out to about 40 meters. Further if i start using it as a mortar.

I checked, and it can lift .36 but personally you start to sacrifice range / speed when you use higher weights. I've yet to try .28 but i doubt I will, the hop is setup for .25. They travel fast enough for me to take out people with doubletaps, they hit hard enough so people call hit and they're white so i can see where they fall off and adjust my aim accordingly.

It depends on what you want to use, buy a couple bags of different weights (.23, .25, .28 & .30) and take them out in the skirmish for a day. Play as normal and see what feels good to use.

I don't think they go below a bag/bottle of 1000

I use .25 in my woodland M4, .28 in my G36 & .20 in my CQB M4

• Supporters

If that's the case, my g5 flat hopped might be better with .40s :P

I know a guy who uses 0.40 in his GHK AK.

I use bio 0.28 in anything below 350 fps. Same consistency as the normal 0.30 of the same brand. If they would make 0.30 bio, I would use that.

Definitely need to consider speed vs range here and how close to the limits of FPS your gun is.

Heavier ammo might get you that vital extra tree line or two distance, but if you go too heavy for your FPS then even if your hop can lift it you'll end up with BB going so slow a cheeky fucker like me has time to dance around before ducking, or try hit the BB's back with the stock of the gun (i got told off for this...)

People just assume heavier the better regardless but it isn't always, if the target person is too far away for 0.2 to make it, doesn't see it coming or is unable to move quickly regardless it's all good. If they aren't too far away, see it coming, are already moving, or have something resembling reflexes then it'll be a hindrance to you compared to 0.2

I just use 0.2 and if playing woodland have a clip or two of 0.25 if required as doesn't need much hop adjustment, if any between these weights i find.

A couple of games i've played with .25s in my Med caps and .3s in my hi.

When the kids weren't calling hit on the 25 i swapped out for a few shots. I don't recommend playing with your Hop mid game though, you're normal accuracy will change because of it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.