Baofeng UV-5R

clumpyedge

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

Does anyone know here can find the above in the UK, need to get one for an event i'm playing at next weekend.. looked at a few places but without any prior experience with the websites i've looked at i'm not entirely sure who is reliable.

• Supporters

Amazon sell them at good prices. I’ve had one before it was really good, battery lasted for days but it’s a little tricky to manually program so unless you have the programming cable and frequency doc it’ll be a ball ache. Overall though they good. think they are like £25-30 off Amazon buddy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BaoFeng-UV-5R-136-174-400-480-Dual-Band/dp/B007HH6RR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437032171&sr=8-1&keywords=Baofeng+UV-5R

Loads of seelers on eBay will get you one next day.

Rather than the UV-5R go for the GT3 MK II - same radio but pretty much every bit upgraded in some small way, no more than £5 more and you'll probably get more accessories with it. A little bit more bash proof too and the antenna is flexible so not likely to snap like the solid rubber one on the 5r

Get the UV8 it's much better. I have UV5's as well tho they are really really cheap and good. UV8's can't really be programmed without the cable tho! Programming the 5's however is a doddle - if you search for my PRC 152 video on youtube it's the same process for programming.

They are great radio's when you get them setup. As above, I suggest getting the cable for the channel setup. Also, be aware that if you want the Throat mic (security style), it does not fit around a >20inch neck and has transmission issues.

I've had 3 from Amazon, all working impressively however there are features that my other team-mates don't actually use.

For Instance,

It can receive FM Radio - I use this but noone else does... (It cuts the radio when receving a transmission).

The torch?!

Manual Programmable channels (These are usefull when you play with people using the UV5's because you can scan down the frequency. Be carefull however because the UV-5R broadcasts at >1mw which is too much for use in the UK without a license)

Wideband vs Narrowband (You're no more than a mile away, it makes no difference).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.