Krylon removal

Guest RektnNekt

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest RektnNekt

Right so I've got this CM16 with me which sort of has its own custom job done to it. Looked good in the picture, but not so much in person. Anyway, I wanna remove it. Now, for some reason, I can't seem to find Fairy Power spray which was advised from a video (has all the other fairy products though, typical...), so I need another way without damaging the gun. The painted parts are not metal, so I need something friendly to plastics.

I've been trying something similar to Fairy Power spray, but it doesn't do it too well (I manage to get the paint off, but it just takes way too long, doesn't loosen it up enough to get it out of the little grooves either).

Anyone got any techniques?

Thanks

Have you been to Tesco, pal?

Only place I've ever been able to find it, and even then only some of them have it.

I've seen scale model makers use other oven cleaners to soak paint from models in a plastic bag over night - might be worth trying one of these?

Guest RektnNekt

Have you been to Tesco, pal?

Only place I've ever been able to find it, and even then only some of them have it.

I've seen scale model makers use other oven cleaners to soak paint from models in a plastic bag over night - might be worth trying one of these?

Yeah I went to two Tesco stores, one had the citrus one but I've heard it doesn't do the job. I will try that method though, thanks :)

Soaking definitely does the job, if it was metal i'd suggest getting a bottle of meth spirits and soaking it in that overnight, then whole thing will peel off like a snake shedding a layer.

Krylon's usually a bitch on plastics due to it bonding well enough to not need primer, if what you bought already kinda does the job and find nothing else a good soak for couple hours should do the trick. Might not leave it overnight though as I can remember as a kid games-workshop plastic models warping when left to soak too long.

Guest RektnNekt

Soaking definitely does the job, if it was metal i'd suggest getting a bottle of meth spirits and soaking it in that overnight, then whole thing will peel off like a snake shedding a layer.

Krylon's usually a bitch on plastics due to it bonding well enough to not need primer, if what you bought already kinda does the job and find nothing else a good soak for couple hours should do the trick. Might not leave it overnight though as I can remember as a kid games-workshop plastic models warping when left to soak too long.

Alright I will test this with one of my G&G rail covers. If that works, then great :)

Will try it now and report back

Guest RektnNekt

So a few hours have passed by, and I have only reached the conclusion that the handguard does not react in terms of paint removal as the magazine I did earlier. Very, very little paint came off of the handguard, despite being soaked.

The paint looks thicker on the pistol grip too - might just need to pick up another. I can live without the handrails anyway. If anyone has a pistol grip that'd fit my CM16, message me :)

• Supporters

Asda, Wilkinsons, maybe Morrisons & Sainsbury's

Asda are cheapest @ £2:98 normal rrp is £3:50

Last Fairy Power Spray I got in Tesco's Extra super store last week was hidden away though

They had Mr Muscle oven cleaner half price @ £1:75 but I knew it ain't quite as good

Hit it with Mr Muscle first for a few hours soak - loosened it up a bit but not brilliant

Then went nutz & mega ott on a mission to get that thick as f*ck Zero One Green crap off

Jeeez - even inside the ris rails they f*cking painted and reckon is was more than just one quick coat

I reckon at least two - maybe 3 quick coats was applied in quick succession coz it was one mofo to get back to black

Plus many have said how Z1's 2-toning felt tacky out of box.......

Finally got it to where this ultra fussy mofo is happy with it 99.9% removed - minor specks

and I mean very very tiny minor specks but most are on the underside rail so I'll live with that

best advice - get ice cream carton, spray it everywhere nice n foamy, leave it for few hours

2 toothbrushes - normal and a mini kids toothbrush for nooks n crannies....

wear cheapo rubber gloves - yeah I know we are men and f*ck all that crap

but palms of your hands do start to flake a bit after a while - oooh heck

If it is like Z1 paint job - you won't get it off real quick - reckon with a foamy covering - scrape

foamy covering leave to soak - scrape, foamy covering leave overnight - scrape

more foamy crap etc......

Yeah reckon that is best part of a weekend if you are ultra fussy like me

yes it is fine to leave overnight 24hrs - think mine was about 36hrs soaking in total

(actually forgot about it) - still got all the white number digits on rails

maybe

a slight wear of the satin black finish - but then that could be from my mental akimbo toothbrush attacks on the bitch

still got crane stock to de-green but most likely fit the usual stubby fixed M4 stock in there as per usual

Yeah wot a bollock ache - but it is do-able, not quite as easy as some others might be - poxy Z1 Raider

• Supporters

So with a metal rif you just lay it in meth spirits over night and that's it does it effect the gun or internals?

wouldn't lay the whole gun in any chemicals - might chew rubber bucking and clean off grease where needed in gearbox

major pain in the ar$e even an easy to strip paint job as often remove all painted pieces and then chuck in bath

(plastic ice cram tub - missus hates my toys but she prefers her own toys at bath time like a buzzing yellow rubber ducky)

wouldn't lay the whole gun in any chemicals - might chew rubber bucking and clean off grease where needed in gearbox

major pain in the ar$e even an easy to strip paint job as often remove all painted pieces and then chuck in bath

(plastic ice cram tub - missus hates my toys but she prefers her own toys at bath time like a buzzing yellow rubber ducky)

I'm going to have to give it a go. My issue is it will be my GBB 416 that needs striping, came with a crap green paint job. So I guess up pick some up and strip it down to bare receivers and rail then slack and scrub?

Guest RektnNekt

Alright nice one, thanks for that descriptive reply :) too right it is a pain is the a$$, but at least it shows that Krylon stays the hell on if you ever contemplate a new paint job. Just a quick look and I found Mr muscle bathroom cleaner, but I will check further back in my cupboards to see if I have any of that oven cleaner :)

Guest RektnNekt

aye - oven cleaner Fairy Power is best

Mr Muscle at a push but only if its on offer - otherwise save ya cash & keep searching for the Fairies

PayPal are gonna keep my money for a couple of weeks, but I am sure I will be able to search around and find one to buy. Thanks mate

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.