Tanio Koba twist barrel

beastmode

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Has anyone used one of these? are they good? can you use r-hop with them?

was thinking of putting one in my l85.

That's fine as site limit is 350 fps anyway and mine runs at 340. Just need to know if you can r-hop them or if it's better just to put a prometheus 6.03 instead.

What I've read, tbb is good fo accuracy but wide bore barrels are good for range (don't know how that works out)

I thought you already had that barrel Doug

No, I have a miracle barrel in my g36 which is completely different. This type of barrel I'm asking about is a twist barrel. And you are correct to some extent about the wide bore. Its meant to float on a bed of air rather than bounce around the sides like it can do in a tightbore. I'm just looking for a decent barrel to r hop in my l85 that doesn't cost over £100 like the pdi.

I knew it was something like that lol & your l85 is a test bed, if it works out well, I was going to do the same

The rifling is going to cause the BB to spin, so it will undo or interupt the hop process. The current theory is that BBs mostly travel along the top edge of a barrel due to the hop and this further increases their backspin until they leave the barrel. Any inconsistencies in there will obviously disrupt that hence why a perfectly flat and straight barrel is preferred. The only thing I can think this rifling will do is disrupt the hop and cause the BB to spin, dramatically reducing range.

Can you suggest a decent 509mm barrel that I could r-hop? Don't want to spend over £100 though

As far as I know the decent barrels today are PDI, Prometheus and sometimes ZCI. There isn't a whole lot of praise for much else really, but the madbull barrel finish report suggest madbull is not too terrible either. If you barrel is actually straight then you may find lapping and polishing your existing barrel gets you a long way to getting a good clean finish on whatever you have.

Funny enough, I've just put a zci barrel in my g36

Soon find out on Sunday how it performs when me & beastmode team up

I bought both a core & a zci barrel from Ak2M4 when they had them in stock (6.03 & 6.02 respectively).

The core worked really well originally, not actually far off my Prometheus 6.03 (up until the gearbox started playing up) whilst the zci was decent, but when put side by side with the Prom was a bit lacking.

(Note; all AK length barrels, used with G&G .28 ammo and G&G green buckings).

At present I have two AKs with Prometheus barrels (one G3 length though) and one with the Core.

The zci is in a drawer until I scrounge up enough parts to build the rest of this other AK.

Getting a quote from x-fire now. Works out to £46 for a pdi 509mm but waiting to hear on shipping cost.

• Root Admin

If you want to R-Hop then go with a very wide bore. Best you can get is an ORGA Magnus 6.23 (500mm): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orga-Magnus-6-23mm-Wide-Bore-Barrel-for-AEG-500mm-OGAINU-PB-1-0021-/271267200104 - I ordered a 500mm for my M249 from this guy and it arrived last week fine.

Prometheus/Laylax/First (whatever they want to call themselves), PDI and ORGA make the best barrels you can buy right now. Prometheus are the cheapest, and PDI are excellent quality (and affordable) but don't do a proper wide bore for R-Hopping. There's also the issue of the Prometheus Delta Strike barrels having the plastic hop window, which wasn't their best idea.

'Miracle Barrels' are very silly - they're just high quality 6.06mm with a userbase in America that has very little choice and don't frequently shop abroad. They also have a longer hop window an o-ring. Whilst those are nice to have, they're hardly groundbreaking; longer hop windows have been around for a while - you can buy the extended R-Hop patches for them. Like a lot of stuff for airsoft that starts its life in the US, it's mostly pushy sales and apathetic buyers defending their purchases that give it the name it has today.

So yeh, if you want a barrel that isn't going to interfere with a decent amount of backspin, then you need a far wider bore than 6.05 or 6.06 - go for 6.23 (Magnus) or 6.20 (Delta Strike) and make up for the drop in FPS elsewhere. Just make sure that you have the patch installed properly and you'll get 45-50 metres out of it easily.

The rifling does not undo the hop, if anything it helps it work better by allowing air around the BB and reduces the ricochets of the inner barrel.

I've run these in loads of guns and still do in a few, in fact my short barrelled tippman has the TK barrel in it and it has great accuracy and range, considering I run the gun at 330 and the inner barrel is about 200mm long, it range isn't far off my old CTW which was hop modded.

If you play at <330 fps this barrel is great with a g&g bucking, even better if you use the g&g flat hopped. They are stupidly hard to get nowadays but they do perform very well :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.