TBB's in pistols.

Qlimax

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

So I’ve been asked a question about TBB’s in pistols and if they are actually worth having or not and if they actually make any difference.

I’m unsure how to give this person an answer as I’ve never been asked and bar myself haven’t known anyone who’s actually done it.

I did it with my 1911 & it was ok, can’t say I really noticed to be fair but wanted to ask others what they thought and if they’ve done it. Worth it or not worth it.

In theory, yes it will be better, I can't find exactly where I read this right now but a tbb is more accurate at shorter distances whilst a wider bore more accurate at longer distances. Given this and the fact that a pistol is typically used in closer situations it would improve the performance. Gbb pistols also have a relatively low fps and a tbb will increase this.

This discusses something similar http://forums.airsoftmechanics.com/index.php?topic=9749.0

Personally I'm not sold on them, the ranges I use my pistol don't warrant it and most people i have spoken to who have installed one haven't really noticed much of a difference

If you want a truthful answer, ask any of the guys that shoot airsoft IPSA.

My mate has just ordered a new Race pistol for IPSA from Mike Cripps and he has specified a 6.01 inner barrel for his new Hi-capa. He'll also use very high quality ammo. As IPSA is all about speed and accuracy at distances out to no more than 15 yards, having a really accurate inner barrel is a must. However, it does depend on everything fitting and working together properly, so you really need to research how it all fits and operates together. As with anything in airsoft, what works in one gun won't necessarily do the same in an identical model.

• Supporters

Yeah that’s true. I don’t know what pistol this guy is planning on putting a TBB in, he’s just came to me and asked what I thought about it and if I could recommend any. Having only ever changed out a barrel once I didn’t see much difference.

I've often thought what may be a more efficient upgrade is to just pack/space the barrel, there's so much movement in the inner to outer barrel, making it firmer would surely keep groupings together?

I've often thought what may be a more efficient upgrade is to just pack/space the barrel, there's so much movement in the inner to outer barrel, making it firmer would surely keep groupings together?

Surely you'd need a bit of tolerance if it's a blow back pistol because the slide if you pack it out to stabalize it ??

• Supporters

I couldn't see it making a difference. Saw some guy saying his pistol could happily headshot at 50 metres the other day on Facebook and had to resist the urge to call bullshit. I very much doubt anyone could upgrade a pistol in a way that wouldn't easily outperform the accuracy of the shooter, if that makes sense.

I very much doubt anyone could upgrade a pistol in a way that wouldn't easily outperform the accuracy of the shooter, if that makes sense.

This.

Upgrading and spending a fortune to make a target / practical pistol is one thing but if its for skirmishing I can't see a lot of point. That said I have fitted a 6.03 Madbull barrel to my Marui 1911 (custom bodged from a length of AEG barrel left over from another project), I won't say its better than the stock original but its certainly no worse. Not sure about head shots at 50m but it will reach 40m no problem.

• Supporters

This isn't for me someone's asked me but it's good to get different points of view from others players.

I concur with Dave, I've built and shot many many pistols, both upgraded and stock, there is very little difference, if any in normal hands, unless you know how to shoot at competition level then skirmishing a stock pistol is more than adequate, hop rubber makes a slight difference to consistency

• Root Admin

At the distances concerned there's going to be so little difference. The barrel length also isn't going to contribute too much to raising the FPS.

That said, I like to do it anyway. I've found in some of the super old pistols that the barrels get very grimy and harder to clean when they're not as of such a high grade steel or brass. A TBB certainly wouldn't be the first thing I'd think to upgrade in a pistol though.

I would find it hard to tell the difference between my Cripps 250 quid hi capa and my 130 quid standard Marui hk45. It sucks, but it's an expensive lesson learnt. To be fair to Cripps he makes no claims about super upgraded pistols being better at skirmish distances.

Surely you'd need a bit of tolerance if it's a blow back pistol because the slide if you pack it out to stabalize it ??

Well, the way I see it is the force of the air blast pushes the slide back, the vertical movement of the inner barrel in the outer one is due to it being a loose fit. So i'm thinking you'll still get that overall upward movement but at the moment of firing the barrel will be as stable as possible.

EDIT, That makes no bloody sense lol. I think i'm trying to say that the tolerance is absorbed within the slide rather than the lift of the barrel

Well, the way I see it is the force of the air blast pushes the slide back, the vertical movement of the inner barrel in the outer one is due to it being a loose fit. So i'm thinking you'll still get that overall upward movement but at the moment of firing the barrel will be as stable as possible.

EDIT, That makes no bloody sense lol. I think i'm trying to say that the tolerance is absorbed within the slide rather than the lift of the barrel

You could try the insulation tape trick by wrapping (at an angle) the tape around the barrel, that may take some of the play out of the barrel

Pmsl & dont worry, I understood what you were saying snake :)

You could try the insulation tape trick by wrapping (at an angle) the tape around the barrel, that may take some of the play out of the barrel

Pmsl & dont worry, I understood what you were saying snake :)

Yeah, I reckon one or two wraps of tape would sort it perfectly!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.