Reenactor to airsofter

Avionyx

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I'm coming to the hobby from reenactment but. Need to check something after a conversation with a retailer today who wouldn't sell to me without a UKARA number.

I was under the impression that as a reenactor (with RIFs already) who has a valid membership of a fully insured reenactment organisation I would be allowed to buy a RIF from an airsoft retailer before I gotinthe relevant skirmishes to get my UKARA number.

Are they correct in saying I need the number first?

Thanks I'm advance

Alex

As far as I know reenactment is a suitable defence under the VCRA and hence it should be sufficient to buy a RIF, which you could then use for airsofting. UKARA is the default and I suspect most websites will want you to prove you are an airsofter with UKARA because its easier, but legally I think you are right. Feels like its going against the spirit of the law however, its purpose was to enable people with a need to buy RIFs for their purpose, using one purpose to buy a different type of RIF is not really what the law makers intended.

If you have valid reenactor insurance that's perfectly fine as a legal defence, a lot of retailers most likely won't be too keen on accepting it though as it gives them a nice simple paper trail with UKARA. Best bet is emailing a bunch of sellers and hoping one of them is a bit more easygoing, or you could play the three games and wait the painful couple of weeks for your number to appear...

Some places advise they will take re-enactors membership as entitlement to purchase, off the top of my head Actionhobbies and Soldier of Fortune will, so long as you can prove entitlement (AFRA registration etc).

Thanks for the replies guys.

I appreciate it does kind of look like I'm trying to circumvent the rules but I would like to think it's more that I have experience of how to correctly transport and manage a RIF and that I'm only going to use it for the intended purpose.

I'm likely to have my first few encounters in the airsoft world at a couple of different sites as that's how the calendar has panned out so anything that makes it easier for me to settle into it, like buying my own equipment once I've tried some, would be much better for me IMHO.

Once again thank you for taking the time to reply.

Alex

I appreciate it does kind of look like I'm trying to circumvent the rules but I would like to think it's more that I have experience of how to correctly transport and manage a RIF and that I'm only going to use it for the intended purpose.

I'm likely to have my first few encounters in the airsoft world at a couple of different sites as that's how the calendar has panned out so anything that makes it easier for me to settle into it, like buying my own equipment once I've tried some, would be much better for me IMHO.

Alex

Your not doing anything wrong/illegal mate, as a reenactor you have a perfectly valid defense. The shop can decided if they are willing to take the risk as afterall its there kneck on the line so to speak.

Alex

As above, if they won't sell to you, take your business elsewhere.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.