Internals for Combat Machine..

Albiscuit

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, My Combat Raider has had a speed upgrade done by a tech and something to the motor too...I am happy with how it fires but I would like to try to increase the range/accuracy and possibly FPS a little..

Would a better than stock Barrel and Hop up do anything for me?

It seems pretty straightforward to change but I want to make sure I am:

A) Doing something worthwhile

B) Putting in something which will benefit me/the gun

C) Buying the correct and compatible parts

Could anyone reccommend a barrel and hop which is better than stock and will do something to the range/grouping or general benefit of my skirmishing :)

I have no idea what these things will cost but would buy better parts if the benefits were noticeable so undecided/ignorant to budget!..

EDIT****

Forgot to say its the short version, But I wouldnt mind putting in a longer barrel and then an outer barrel for a better range, as my pals long barrel Raider out shoots mine (in hindsight I should have bought the longer but only played CQB at the time)...

QUESTION! I assume this would not be a problem? The rest of the internals would be able to cope with a longer barrel surely?

• Supporters

Try and get yourself a Firefly soft bucking if you can find one, fitted one to my L86 and it now get's excellent range and accuracy.

Saying that, G&G greens, Prometheus purples and guarder clears are also excellent buckings. If you've got the time, have a go at R-hopping if you want some serious range.

Yes, the hop up unit and/or bucking / and a new barrel should help.

The barrel quality is more important than length is.

Firstly make sure you're using quality BBs, preferred optimum weight should be 0.25s rather than 0.20s. It helps a lot.

Also doing regular general maintenance like cleaning the barrel will help improve range and accuracy so you may not actually need to invest in internal upgrades.

It is possible changing those parts will increase your velocity anyway, also whilst doing the maintenance reassembly / lubrication may result in a tighter airseal, thus increasing FPS.

If it's still not as high as you'd like simply installing another spring would do it.

The number of the spring (for example 100) refers to the velocity you should get in metres per second. If it turned out to be firing too hot with the new spring you can cut it down a coil or two to reduce power closer to desired level.

EDIT - Yeah I was gonna say a Prometheus, G&G Green or Tokyo Marui bucking. Good quality barrels Prometheus / PDI / Laylax I believe? Madbull is a common brand which is more affordable and should still yield decent results to make it a worthwhile upgrade. The former are a lot more expensive AFAIK (easily £60+)

Look around for a metal hop unit for a better airseal and consistency. The stock g&g is plastic but can swap out for a prowin for about £20. Stock barrel is pretty good as long as it is clean. Before buying anything, i suggest you disassemble the hop system and wash the bucking in warm soapy water. Also clean the barrel well(with no bucking on) with a solvent to remove grease and dirt and then polish. As mentioned heavier bbs, .25 or .28 are needed. You could also look at R hops, flat hops, G hops and more. If you dont want to do that, maybe look into an h nub with a firefly/marui/prommy/g&g green/guarder clear bucking.

If youre looking to upgrade the barrel to a longer one, you could also get a suppressor and put it in that. ZCI and madbull and lonex are all good, cheap barrels

I use .25s already... and I run a suppressor on it and like the look, so a longer barrel running through that would save me replacing the outer barrel and save on cost too.

thx for the replies so far

If you are running a suppressor on the front, make sure you keep the OE inner barrel and hop unit. Then if you play CQB you can refit the original inner barrel & hop and take off the suppressor for a shorter gun where range isn't such an issue.

• Supporters

Yup - if playing with different barrels n buckings - it is wise to get another hop unit whilst you are at it

if your old barrel/hop is ok-ish then just remove it and leave it, quite easy to tear the bucking/hop rubber if removing

get the other barrel assembled with another hop up and bucking - simple swap over

if results are crap you still got the old complete barrel/hop to fall back on all still ready to go

Tight Bore Barrels can alter - well they usually add 15 to 20fps

some hop ups work better than others in some guns and not so great in others

buckings - new improved ones can get fitted badly and tear when you strip to re-assemble again

hence a wise consideration is to mess with a new setup perhaps before stripping and making a mess of old kinda working ok-ish stock barrel/hop

If you are running a suppressor on the front, make sure you keep the OE inner barrel and hop unit. Then if you play CQB you can refit the original inner barrel & hop and take off the suppressor for a shorter gun where range isn't such an issue.

Sound advise but I have other guns for cqb. ;)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.