This isnt homophobic, but its a question about it

ShadowSniper

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If I called someone straight, would that be heterophopic? Or would it be heterophobic to take that as an insult?

The on the other side, isn't it more homophobic to perceive gay as an insult, and therefore be insulted by it, than to call someone gay?

A Phobia does not exist because you take a word and slap "-phobic or -phobia or -phobe" on the end of it.

Additionally, many many people mistake phobias (being terrified/genuinely in fear of) for simple prejudicial dislike (and/or lack of understanding/intelligence).

• Supporters

l have a handful of gay friends as well as a bi girlfriend and all of them call stuff gay as much as l do lol.

l see it as just a word with multiple meanings. Sort of similar to how nob can be either penis or a door handle. lf l call someone gay l don't intend for them to read it as being insulted via their sexuality. Because what's insulting about being gay? Nothing!

But more that gay is just another standard insult word as per stupid or lame for example.

• Supporters

Gay originally meant light hearted and happy long before it was used in reference to someone's sexuality.

Anything can be used or taken as an insult it depends on each individuals reaction.

What has this got to do with airsoft anyway? Its not like shooting someone in the arse is sexual assault. At least not with a bb gun 😀

Is Idiotphobic a real term because if so I am one and proud.

What has this got to do with airsoft anyway? Its not like shooting someone in the arse is sexual assault. At least not with a bb gun 😀

Is Idiotphobic a real term because if so I am one and proud.

That's why I posted it in general discussion haha

Using the word 'gay' to describe somebody who is homosexual isn't an insult, and is actually a word used to describe a persons sexual orientation, as used by networks and communities to describe people who are not heterosexual, i.e. LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender).

Using the word 'straight' to describe somebody who is heterosexual shouldn't be taken as an insult either...

Using either expression shouldn't be considered hate speech either.

I will add this regarding the usage of the word 'gay' - as pointed out, gay referred to somebody who was carefree, happy, or 'showy', as in 'what a gay day' meaning 'what a happy day', (a phrase which became a catchphrase of the entertainer Larry Grayson). The word was later used to describe a homosexual person, quietly replacing the original usage in modern language.

'Gay' is also now being used to describe something rubbish or stupid, especially among younger people, which obviously causes some issues as some observers draw a connect between the current 'accepted' use of the word. Often, to avoid word filters or accusations of homophobia, the word is written as 'ghey' especially online, and has come to be accepted as referring to something that is 'lame'

I heard tales that someone created a forum/facebook sh*t-storm about The Mall once when one of the staff referred to something as 'being bit gay' in a safety brief.

I suppose by those standards if i decided the word 'straight' only had one meaning/context; my sexual preference, then I could find all sorts of things offensive!

I could take offence to people calling something straight-edged? How dare they indirectly infer my sexual preference is something conventional/sensible or sober, I f*cked a crazy fat chick in a field while drunk and dressed as batman once...

I could take offense to someone referring to a trajectory as straight; how dare they indirectly suggest my sexuality extends or moves uniformly in one direction only, without a curve or bend! I'm not married so still trying direct my sexuality to as many women as possible, and as for no curve have they not seen the implement I'm trying to extend into these women!!!

In summary the OP question suggests the idea that there is some kind of universal standard for what is offensive/phobic, I find that idea offensive :)

• Supporters

how is calling a gay person "gay" an insult in the first place?

It's all about context.

If one gay man says "you're so damn gay" to his friend it probably isn't an insult but if someone else shouts it at the same person with intent then yes it probably is an insult.

In the same way that the Royal Philharmonic playing Ace of Spades isn't heavy metal but Motorhead playing Beethoven's 5th definitely is.

In the same way that the Royal Philharmonic playing Ace of Spades isn't heavy metal but Motorhead playing Beethoven's 5th definitely is.

Ahahaha love it, life is so much easier when defined in terms of metal :)

It's all about context.

If one gay man says "you're so damn gay" to his friend it probably isn't an insult but if someone else shouts it at the same person with intent then yes it probably is an insult.

what should we call gays then? if we cant call them gays? lol?

I call gay people gay because thats what they are, like i call black people black.

I call gay people gay because thats what they are, like i call black people black.

'fun-boys' in a german accent

what about bum boys

That's the Navy not gay people

edit - Prob actually offended people there but ah well, you know where to find/shoot me every sunday :)

I tend to use their name, so if a man is gay and his name if Geoff, I'd call him Geoff.

• 4 weeks later...

you know where to find/shoot me every sunday :)

......And noone picked up on this being able to be taken two ways?

oooo matron !!!

I never know how to be pc at all. My mate who is gay is also a 6'5" MMA fighting doorman.....I often refer to him as "Sasague Jockey" and he calls me "Muff nibbler".

I have no idea why people get so caught up and over nervous, I have caused offense in the past to people but after a short chat they realise my intentions are always respectful and never to be taken seriously.

I think we should all chill out & realise that life is way too important to take seriously

......And noone picked up on this being able to be taken two ways?

oooo matron !!!

I never know how to be pc at all. My mate who is gay is also a 6'5" MMA fighting doorman.....I often refer to him as "Sasague Jockey" and he calls me "Muff nibbler".

I have no idea why people get so caught up and over nervous, I have caused offense in the past to people but after a short chat they realise my intentions are always respectful and never to be taken seriously.

I think we should all chill out & realise that life is way too important to take seriously

One of the founders of the Everyday Sexism project said that "by allowing the more minor incidents to slide we are normalising the same attitudes and ideas at the root of the more serious offences."

Thoughts?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.