Snookybear

Masada barrel

Hi guys n gals I've recently bought a magpul masada and can't seem to find out what the upper part of the barrel that twists is for. Any help would be grate

Twists? Do you mean the quick change barrel?

You can remove the barrel assembly and change it to a shorter/longer one. Not very useful on an AEG as the cylinder won't match.

if the cylinder matches the longer length won't it still work on the shorter length then Samurai?

It will but there are consequences.

- It will be less powerful than the other way around. The BB will leave the barrel before the piston impact so not all the available energy is transferred to the BB

- The BB won't act as a barrier for the air on the last cm of the piston travel meaning the piston will impact full force into the cylinder head. This is not a problem for good quality gearboxes / low power spring / normal ROF, but lesser quality boxes will crack because of this. For example older JG V2s crack easily because of this even on lower fps.

- The BB leaves the barrel before the piston impact so the sound of the impact is free to leave the barrel - resulting in a loud snap with every shot.

The other way around - where you match the short barrel with the cylinder, the BB will still move a lot in the barrel after the piston stopped. The high pressure drops behind the BB and it will move and bounce around the barrel. This will result in lower accuracy when using the long barrel compared to a matched cylinder. However the GB would be safe.

Maybe you can match both barrels using light BBs for the long barrel and heavy BBs for the short but that needs calculations and experiments.

I would simply use the short barrel and match the cylinder for that. There is nothing to gain with the long barrel. Longer barrel will not increase your accuracy (except if you compare it to a really short barrel).

Yeah, my English is not the best. I know some things, I just can't explain them in an easily understandable way. :P