CM 16 Customisability (Just roll with it)

LazzurusMan

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I got a CM16 a few months back and have been wanting to make a few changes. I have things in mind and need to know if the front end of the outer barrel, the bit with that horrible front sight, is interchangeable with the front end of other M4's. I've already figured out how it comes apart while practicing maintenance and trying to stop bits jiggling around, but I haven't got a clue if the front ends of the other combat machines, most notably the ones WITHOUT the front sight, are attached in the same way.

If anyone could tell me which ones are, if any, that'd be great as payday is coming up and I really want to start making my gun look more the way I want it to.

• Supporters

What version CM16 - carbine / raider long short lite etc.......

what exactly do you seek to achieve - it is do-able btw but how much/far do you go ????

What I mean is if you have a carbine - front wired and you seek to put on say a ris like raider or mk18

then you may need to rethink or rewire to rear battery or peq box up front

plus if buying a ris probably metal version and new outer & inner barrel perhaps

then you may just wanna consider getting a raider/mk18 and selling the carbine - that was what I was meaning btw

or if you have a raider say long version and wanting a shorter version with flip sights etc.....

yes you could sell the old m4a1 carbine front end for a bit but those are very common

perhaps if you have a carbine look for maybe a ris handguard & peq box might be cheaper/simpler/easiest options

if you enlighten us with exact cm16 model it would help and what you seek to make it into or look like

This is what I have. It confuses me somewhat as the only cm16 to come with the RIS rails don't have a full top sight. The bit I'm looking to replace is from the end of the ris rails to the end of the flash hider. I've had it off before and was hoping I could find one somewhere that doesn't have the front sight.

post-8623-0-41309200-1434433779_thumb.jpg

Also, completely forgot to mention that it IS rear wired.

• Supporters

Raider - Long barrel version - aprox 363 inner barrel

front sight is held on by 2 pins underneath that need to be carefully tapped out or drill

(very carefully)

vids on youtube show how to dismantle the front end ris and replace if need an inbetween 300mm barrel

(always thought Raider was either a smidge too long or a smidge too short but that is just me liking the 275/300 lengths as an all rounder size)

you got a full m4/16 rear sight with handle on there so I presume you are looking at fitting a cheap pair of flip sights and/or scope of some sort

yup do-able and compatible - me I perhaps remove and leave barrel lengths or go for a medium raider build perhaps

I'd leave the ris etc as it is coz time you buy another ris etc.... it will still be a s/hand cm raider

I think that is what you are after - removing the front sight which should just slide off front of barrel/gun after popping 2 pins

heck you could replace it with a flip front M4 sight - same as what is on there but it folds down/up

Ahh the joys of making your gun your own - so many options, but go easy as you can easily spend loads on a gun's accessories/attachments

The front sight on mine seems pretty solid. The two pins I think you're talking about have even been welded perfectly, or were never pins in the first place.

• Supporters

Blow me - your right - my bad

just check on mine and they are not held in like most other outer m4a1's

ah well finally figured out how to remove the bloody front end off me raider

2 allen keys and the outer barrel front end slides off

Ahhh - now I see what you mean......

can not say a normal outer barel or front end go on there without messing up how the raider's ris is mounted

it should be do-able but I will have to look into this in more exact detail

I'd hate to give you more incorrect info

was sure at first glance it was like other M4's with the sight held on there but yes it is all part of the casting or welded on there

even has the appearance of the pins but they are not real pins when you look in close detail

my bad soz for incorrect info

No problem, all I need to do if find a front end online that'll fit a CM16 Raider. Easier said than done!

• Supporters

Right removed it all - the last grey start of barrel was a bit tricky to get off

remove the front black lock ring and the start of the 3 piece outer barrel comes off

looks to like a normal M4 outer barrel should go in there and do up with the black lock ring

ris will bolt onto the front of receiver and seems pretty sturdy anyway

(could leave off the fake silver gas tube as you hardly see it or refit)

all that would be required is a way to perhaps secure the front of the ris but many of them are not fully secured at front

though they normally have fixings at 12, 3 6 & 9 o'clock - but the raider's ris is not very long so it "might" be ok with being fixed at just the one end

Now I have my long raider in bits - I can see about removing the 2-tone of the ris

but as I work shifts I gotta hit the sack but given you a possible do-able idea/notion

however look around on youtube or google up "raider" outer barrel replacement or strip down

see if some others chime in that have already done this but looks quite feasible atm to me

I replaced the 7" for a 10" free float rail on my cm16

I got a hacksaw and cut the bottom lugs (for a bayonet) off then cut the foresight off below the horizontal frame of the foresight then sprayed it black

The new rail covers it nicely as the foresight will not come off, the foresight & outer barrel is machined from 1 piece of aluminium

Found my dads old broken L85A1 springer and figured I'd take a look, does anyone think this MIGHT fit on the G&G CM16 Raider L where the front end of the outer barrel goes? I'm not overly worried if its not a perfect fit, it would just mean that for now I have no front sight in my way and wont need to buy another out barrel yet. My gun isn't with me atm or I wouldn't have asked you guys first!

post-8623-0-28807900-1434518641_thumb.jpg

post-8623-0-32212400-1434518643_thumb.jpg

post-8623-0-94177000-1434518644_thumb.jpg

IT WORKED! With a little bit of filing and some other materials the metal outer barrel front from an old broken L85A1 springer fitted.

I think this looks much better than the standard iron sights and now leaves me plenty of scope for optics etc. If you look carefully you can see the small mound of modeling/plumbers milliput I had to use to help secure the barrel.

post-8623-0-59586100-1434568987_thumb.jpg

post-8623-0-18911200-1434568994_thumb.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.