Should We Hate Call of Duty ?

Baz JJ

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Don't take the mick out of me but I seriously never heard of Arma before this post... I just watched a couple of youtube videos and it is epic! I have to have it!

I can't believe it's been around for years and I had no clue! Seriously... what else have I been missing??

• Supporters

Don't take the mick out of me but I seriously never heard of Arma before this post... I just watched a couple of youtube videos and it is epic! I have to have it!

I can't believe it's been around for years and I had no clue! Seriously... what else have I been missing??

Operation Flashpoint (and all it's offspring of which ArmA is but one).

You really need to find yourself a good community for it as well, so you can really immerse yourself in it. Its actually an amazing resource and we are hoping to use it to help train a milsim team pre event.

Operation Flashpoint (and all it's offspring of which ArmA is but one).

Ok.

I've played Flashpoint.

I've mostly been into console games though.

My wife's PC should be able to run this no problem. It's 5th gen i7 CPU, 256GB SSD with two 2TB HDD's, 16GB RAM and a Sapphire Radeon R9 270X GPU. Will those specs run it ok? Her PC is for photo editing.

I always found ARMA (2) to have too many controls to make sense of it (didnt stop me playing it for 12 hours scripted coop) - that said, I absolutely loved DCS World (even more controls, but thankfully no mouse occupying 2nd hand).

• Supporters

Ok.

I've played Flashpoint.

I've mostly been into console games though.

My wife's PC should be able to run this no problem. It's 5th gen i7 CPU, 256GB SSD with two 2TB HDD's, 16GB RAM and a Sapphire Radeon R9 270X GPU. Will those specs run it ok? Her PC is for photo editing.

It should work but the graphics card might be a bit low spec. If you don't try and run it on the ultra high settings it should be do-able though.

ArmA was developed by the guys that wrote Flashpoint originally as part of Bohemia Interactive. When the developers and the publishers split a few years back the publishers continued to make games under "Operation Flashpoint" (Dragon Rising and Red River to be precise) and the developers went on to do ArmA. To use an appropriate set of comparisons ArmA is Milsim, OpFlash is an objective based skirmish, Battlefield would be your average Sunday skirmish and CoD is paintball. ;) If you've played the ORIGINAL Flashpoint games then the almost vertical learning curve for ArmA will be somewhat familiar!

It should work but the graphics card might be a bit low spec. If you don't try and run it on the ultra high settings it should be do-able though.

ArmA was developed by the guys that wrote Flashpoint originally as part of Bohemia Interactive. When the developers and the publishers split a few years back the publishers continued to make games under "Operation Flashpoint" (Dragon Rising and Red River to be precise) and the developers went on to do ArmA. To use an appropriate set of comparisons ArmA is Milsim, OpFlash is an objective based skirmish, Battlefield would be your average Sunday skirmish and CoD is paintball. ;) If you've played the ORIGINAL Flashpoint games then the almost vertical learning curve for ArmA will be somewhat familiar!

What would be a good graphics card for it then?

• Supporters

What would be a good graphics card for it then?

Sorry, just did a bit of research, seems it should be fine! I'm an Nvidia man so I'm not terribly up to date on Radeon GPU specs.

Give it a go and see how it does. There's a lot of fancy visual effects in ArmA if I remember correctly (it's been a while since I played it) that can be turned off to help out the GPU (things like motion blur and bloom which don't actually look very realistic anyway).

Dayz, zombie survival game, started as mod based on Arma2, currently in alpha stage of a standalone, prob still not worth buying yet unless already big Dayz fan

Sorry, just did a bit of research, seems it should be fine! I'm an Nvidia man so I'm not terribly up to date on Radeon GPU specs.

Give it a go and see how it does. There's a lot of fancy visual effects in ArmA if I remember correctly (it's been a while since I played it) that can be turned off to help out the GPU (things like motion blur and bloom which don't actually look very realistic anywa

I do wonder if this constant reference to upgrades that we see, even from people who have yet to play their first skirmish, is a product of kit upgrade bonuses on games?

Don't think so... Airsoft upgrades are essential is some aspects.

Give it a go and see how it does. There's a lot of fancy visual effects in ArmA if I remember correctly (it's been a while since I played it) that can be turned off to help out the GPU (things like motion blur and bloom which don't actually look very realistic anywa

I do wonder if this constant reference to upgrades that we see, even from people who have yet to play their first skirmish, is a product of kit upgrade bonuses on games?

Don't think so... Airsoft upgrades are essential is some aspects.

I'm not sure about that... I'd say that to those who haven't even played a skirmish as yet - video games are probably why they talk about upgrades etc.

They won't know one way or another about which stock hop-up or gear systems are duff etc, but they will have been trained that stock weapons are deficient, and can only achieve a more useful existence with the right scope, grip, barrel and paint-job.

I'm not sure about that... I'd say that to those who haven't even played a skirmish as yet - video games are probably why they talk about upgrades etc.

They won't know one way or another about which stock hop-up or gear systems are duff etc, but they will have been trained that stock weapons are deficient, and can only achieve a more useful existence with the right scope, grip, barrel and paint-job.

You are probably right. My experience with guns was before video games so my way of looking at upgrades would more than likely be different from someone influenced by FPS. Sometimes we forget how educating these FPS games can be regarding firearms and customising them.

upgrading things is a pretty common notion. any genre of machine that's vaguely modular will have options. airsoft websites is probably where most will look first, and they're packed full of parts.

definitely is some transference from computer games, but not a notion exclusive to them by any means.

i've not heard anyone mention themselves leveling up in airsoft, or calling ukara an unlock, but have heard people mention practicing particular elements (like 'room-clearing' skills) as if it was a virtual category with an XP value or similar, like an i-spy book of airsoft that could have skills ticked-off in

• Supporters

i think the issue is people think what happens in games happens in real life ... they have to learn, is it there fault that what they have seen/done in the past is incorrect? nope, its like hating learner drivers because they don't know how to drive, they have to learn somehow.

the problem is the games have to be easy, to be fun, and to keep people playing them.

• Supporters

I don't think upgrades are a gaming thing at all. People buy a gun, see that it's 300fps, see other guns (or their site limit) at 350fps and immediately assume it needs work to be firing at the "right" fps. Basic lack of understanding.

Plus a lot of n00bs call a torch or an AFG or an eotech an "upgrade".

• Supporters

Nothing wrong with upgrading your toys, it does remind me of that show Home Improvement though. I think it's a bit of a guy thing, although there's probably some ladies out there partial to messing about with anything that has potential to be upgraded/improved :)

upgrading things is a pretty common notion. any genre of machine that's vaguely modular will have options. airsoft websites is probably where most will look first, and they're packed full of parts.

definitely is some transference from computer games, but not a notion exclusive to them by any means.

i've not heard anyone mention themselves leveling up in airsoft, or calling ukara an unlock, but have heard people mention practicing particular elements (like 'room-clearing' skills) as if it was a virtual category with an XP value or similar, like an i-spy book of airsoft that could have skills ticked-off in

Yeah but the man asked about new players yet to even skirmish seemingly focusing on it as they do? Is it because they like to upgrade machines they've yet to even hold, or because they’ve been informed/influence/conditioned by CoD and the like on the matter? My money is on the latter 95% of the time.

If you ask any airsofter about their gun they'll prob say 'yeah its a xxx but i've upgraded this and that and this and that"

i agree the kudos is there in computer games, but it's very much perpetuated by existing players (most of who don't seem to play CoD or similar) and the shops they use. a total newb wouldn't even know it's possible to upgrade an airsoft gun unless they'd seen parts available or heard/read accounts of them being upgraded. they might consider adding an accessory an upgrade and call it such i guess.

It's a speculative question without a clear answer, i just think that upgrades etc isn't unique enough to CoD and other games to be the root cause. Existing players and shops are the ones filling the internet and skirmish sites so that's got to be where they get the possibility/idea from.

When you first buy anything in a new genre you'll always look to see what the most expensive/bad-ass thing available in it is. For airsoft that'll be either a systema or some other bespoke real-steal bodied gun upgraded full of expensive CNC bits by an individual, or a shop selling it as their special item. I haven't tried but I imagine a quick google of 'best airsoft gun ever' will direct you to similar, or JustBBGuns if you spell it incorrectly :)

I didn't consider upgrading guns until i'd spent a couple months shooting my mates with some b500a1 in his garden/woods, then looked into doing it at clubs/skirmishes etc. Due to the number of different mostly Chinese manufacturers, I'd just assumed they were pretty bespoke and you just bought a better gun. Then got to first skirmish and started asking about them and discovered most peoples guns were far from stock.

I can see where Arma can be very helpful to milsim airsofters or those looking to get into milsim. Games like that are definitely a benefit.

I am the only freak here then.

My LR-300 is totally stock apart from a foregrip which I put on because I was holding the mag & my left hand natrually just seem to sit there when I was firing.

I know nothing about guns, upgrades etc so I dont mess with things I dont fully understand.

No youre not. I know little about Airsoft weapons. My armoury is stock. I tend to buy reasonable makes with tighter barrel etc and add optics, foregrips, slings etc as I would real steel, but otherwise dont tinker.

Theres nothing wrong with wishing to upgrade your toys and squeeze the maximum potential out of it - its just a personal choice. Some do get a little obsessed though.

No youre not. I know little about Airsoft weapons. My armoury is stock. I tend to buy reasonable makes with tighter barrel etc and add optics, foregrips, slings etc as I would real steel, but otherwise dont tinker.

Theres nothing wrong with wishing to upgrade your toys and squeeze the maximum potential out of it - its just a personal choice. Some do get a little obsessed though.

Cool I hate being lonely :mellow:

I'm the same, buy something thats well built to start with & let it do its job.

The hobby is a large avenue with lots of differant aspects, I noticed that on my first skirmish. Some are really into kit & loadouts, some are really into their rif's and love to tinker with them (that includes snipers, M4 modding & also the Gucci pistol collectors). Then there are the reinacters who go for various era's. It's a big world with plenty of space for everyone.

I just go for the fun of playing & banter.

I will never be a warrior leet operator as my mrs wants me home before tea time :unsure:

I

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.