Single point sling on an ICS L85?

Guest SquashyTundra6

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest SquashyTundra6

Hello, I've recently decided I prefer the single point slings more than the standard SA80 slings, however I've noticed that the single point causes the butt plate to pull up a bit when it hangs... Does anyone know if this will cause any damage to the buttplate or the gun itself if I continue to use the single point sling?

Thanks!

Guest PT247

I really like the standard 3 point sling on an SA80, works really well (if fitted correctly) and means you can have the gun snug to your back/chest and then up on aim really easily by unclipping the clip

The SA80 must be designed for a single point sling because I have an army surplus single point sling.

There's a flat screw in the butt pad which tightens the pad against the gearbox which should stop it moving the pad

Guest PT247

The SA80 is designed for (and used with) a 3 point sling.

The screw in the rear is for adjusting the motor. Hanging one from the rear mount on an ICS SA80 will most likely break the butt stop or at least bend it, it is only held on to the gun at the top and the ICS SA80 is a heavy gun.

Me acting as a gun-trot on our nuclear deterrent submarines in the bloody cold:

DSC00027.jpg

The SA80 is designed for (and used with) a 3 point sling.

The screw in the rear is for adjusting the motor. Hanging one from the rear mount on an ICS SA80 will most likely break the butt stop or at least bend it, it is only held on to the gun at the top and the ICS SA80 is a heavy gun.

Me acting as a gun-trot on our nuclear deterrent submarines in the bloody cold:

I've used the single point sling without damaging the sling point or butt pad even when running around with my sidearm and the 4.5kg SA80 swinging around my chest by just the sling mount. Fair enough it may be designed to use a three point sling, but the one point won't damage it in my experience (can't talk for a real one though)

The SA80 is known as a weapon system. That system consists of the rifle, sights, magazine, cleaning kit, bayonet and a 2 point sling :)

Never used a single point sling in the army cadets or in the army, if it was meant to use a single point sling then it would be designed to

I would use the normal sa80 sling to avoid any damage, my son's single point sling clip came apart & his m4 hit the concrete muzzle first and bent it enough for the bb to strike so had to buy a new outer barrel

• Supporters

Ok so not an ics, but I use the issue single point sling on my osprey and my g&g l85 :)

Remember at the end of the day, it's your gun, you do with it what you wish :)

• Supporters

Right...

There is (or certainly was) an issued single point 'sling'. It's more of a connection point than a sling because it's just a small strap that connects from the rear sling point of the rifle straight to PALS webbing (for usage with Osprey). However in terms of connection to the weapon it is for all intents and purposes, a single point. I'm not sure if it's still issued and I've not seen it used much, but there's plenty of pictures from afghan of people using them in recent years.

The problem with that rear sling point on the rifle taking the entire weight is that it's now hanging from your vest i.e. your shoulders instead of your arms doing any of the work. Which can be an good amount of weight if you've got a rail, grip-pod, 4x optic and loaded mag on there (for starters). So it's best to use either the old issued 3-point, or if you want something that's actually good, get a quick adjustable 2-point.  The other huge plus for a 2-point being the with a single the rifle will hang far too low and always dead vertical so if (for example) you switch to your pistol and want to kneel/squat or do anything else, you'll probably get a muzzle full of mud.

Something like a Blue Force Gear VCAS (or any sling that works the same way) provides the exact same functionality as the issued 3-point, is far quicker and easier to adjust from a patrolling/standing to a fighting position, doesn't require learning some stupid basket weaving to attach it, is available in padded versions in all sorts of colours and patterns and most importantly doesn't have a retarded 3rd strap that sits against the TMH and does a superb job of hindering access to both the mag catch and bolt release button.

I never said it would hold up a real sa80, just that it suits me perfectly and hasn't damaged or warped my ics in any way. And I guess it isn't issued any more if there's loads in the surplus shops :P

The reason I moved away from the normal three point us that the strap around my chest was always catching on my pouches and getting in the way of the serpa holster in the middle of my chest, so it just suited me, and the P OP might well suit the three point better, it was just my two pence

• Supporters

I never said it would hold up a real sa80, just that it suits me perfectly and hasn't damaged or warped my ics in any way. And I guess it isn't issued any more if there's loads in the surplus shops :P

The reason I moved away from the normal three point us that the strap around my chest was always catching on my pouches and getting in the way of the serpa holster in the middle of my chest, so it just suited me, and the P OP might well suit the three point better, it was just my two pence

I was speaking to the thread generally, trying to clarify the mis-understandings some people were having; not at you specifically. That's why I didn't quote you.

Guest SquashyTundra6

Sorry I didn't even know you were all replying to this! But thank you all for your responses, I just figured I'd get another view on it just to save me having to buy a new butt plate if it does mess things up

but yeah I may use the issue sling or none at all, I'll see which I decide on Sunday.

Whilst the functionality of the issue sling is good and allows for quick transitions I just don't find it comfortable and I'm also the type of person who ditches my primary as I take out my pistol, so the 3 point sling seems like a bit of a hassle there too! If I could work out a quick detach system for the issue sling I think I would like it more. I'm pretty sure I've seen someone with a QD sling during my time with cadets, so it should be possible

Nonetheless, thanks for sharing your views on it everyone :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.