Newbie with question regarding kit

JonesN

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I'm new too this site after looking through it the last two weeks.

Off to my first game next week and I wanna take my own eye protection and face protection as I don't want the rental gear to hamper my game and put me off airsoft. As it did with paintballing! (Mask steaming up)

Could anyone advise me on some reasonable eye protection and lower face protection?

Please go easy on me

Or you can use mesh goggles like I do with a half face mask, no issues at all with fogging up.

Shooting glasses are another option but they aren't fully sealed so you run the risk of having a BB ricochet into your eye.

I wouldn't like a bb to the eye.

Which brands would be best to purchase? And what websites? Don't really wanna spend over the odds on my first kit just something which will keep in in one piece and get me by

I've got Bolle trackers and Bolle contours, both cheap and both strong enough for airsoft, I have a mesh mask half face style and it fits like a shoe on wrong foot so I've ordered one of these;

http://www.viperkit.co.uk/products/accessories/face-masks/special-ops-face-mask.aspx

If you do want a mesh mask get one that has more than one strap around the back as the one I have is poor and falls down.

• Supporters

Cheapest thing is going to be either mesh goggles or shooting glasses. If you want actual goggles look for army surplus ESS Advancer V12s or Revision Bullet Ant - Should be able to find them for around the £25 mark. Whatever you do just don't pick up the cheapest pair of unbranded goggles on ebay as there is a chance a BB could punch right through them.

Trusted brands are: Bolle, ESS, Revision, Oakley and Smith Optics(probably a couple more, those are the ones I remember) - The lenses should be rated EN166 or ANSI Z87

Steaming/fogging is only an issue if you're using poor quality anti fog.

about £15 will buy you a tiny bottle of decent antifog, any less and it WILL be shite.

In all honesty you should just rent first, you might buy stuff you don't like or see something someone else has that you like, which you can buy because you're only renting.

Also think about where you're going to play. inside you might want a face mask and goggles with all flesh covered.

I was playing outside today, I had glasses, shorts and t shirt, but I saw so many new guys with helmet, goggles, mask, scarf etc who were just dying from the heat and not even enjoying it.

TL;DR - rent first. comfort And practicality come before looking cool

I have a mesh mask half face style and it fits like a shoe on wrong foot so I've ordered one of these;

http://www.viperkit.co.uk/products/accessories/face-masks/special-ops-face-mask.aspx.

if you're having trouble finding a good fit, something that's "one size fits all" is probably not you're best bet. Plus can you imagine how much sweat will be pissing down your face under that!

What Spoon and Estorick said. Heroshark makes the best quality mesh stuff and to fit to your face as well. He used to have a website but I think it's just through FB now. As far as I know he's still doin it.

I've had problems with lower face mesh masks though, not being able to use them properly with ballistic goggles or glasses.

Did see Heroshark make some minimalist lower face pro which looks like you could use more easily with em.

I have surplus ESS glasses and tried a shemagh to protect my teeth but firstly it liked to fall off (as in slip down) my face and also steam the glasses up like fuck. Could try a scrim net scarf instead.

if you're having trouble finding a good fit, something that's "one size fits all" is probably not you're best bet. Plus can you imagine how much sweat will be pissing down your face under that!

What. You mean to tell me that I actually have to run? Oh my god all these years of Xbox training and drinking monster energy are worthless!

Haha, sweat is inevitable with or without the mask, but explaining that red mark on your face to everyone at work then only to given a random nickname that that could of been avoided if I only wore that gimp mask by viper....

Plus the mingers would benefit as paper bags are very last decade.

• Supporters

Another thing to keep in mind is that different things work for different people, especially with face pro. Whilst the Heroshark goggles use decent quality "mesh"(technically it's more like a sheet of metal with holes punched in it) I found my eyes really did not like them and didn't adjust. It could just be that they are bare metal on the inside and just need spraying black so my eyes don't try and focus on them but I just swapped to my V12s.

As far as fogging up goes it varies per person. Normally I find the ESS V12s were fine but would occasionally fog up, especially when it's warm, you have just been running around and then stop for a while. I tend to use ESS ICE glasses now, but still come across the odd situation where they fog up like a bastard. Both the glasses and the goggles(at least the ones that come in a case with changeable lenses like I have) come with a cloth impregnated with an anti fog solution and wiping them down between games helps a lot.

I can see why some people use mesh as it's really unpleasant having massively limited vision and standing around waiting for fogged lenses to clear and it's not like you can take them off for a quick clean in the game zone. As I said it's preference, I just about adjust to normal mesh but the Heroshark stuff, at least unpainted was very jarring to try and look through for me.

• Supporters

Another thing to keep in mind is that different things work for different people, especially with face pro. Whilst the Heroshark goggles use decent quality "mesh"(technically it's more like a sheet of metal with holes punched in it) I found my eyes really did not like them and didn't adjust. It could just be that they are bare metal on the inside and just need spraying black so my eyes don't try and focus on them but I just swapped to my V12s.

its purposely unpainted, so if you was to take a bb to the eye area, there is no paint to flake off and get in your eye etc. i guess you could always go over it with a black marker ;)B)

I think I may invest in a pair of those hero shark seem well good and well priced.

Also I will get myself a mesh mask and see how it goes. I suppose it's trial and error on what suits personally

You will in time find your own way & the kit you prefer. Some prefer the clear lenses & some like mesh.

I tried & failed to get some clear goggles that didnt fog up, I tried almost every mix of goggles, mods & weird potions but could never make them work. In the end I went with some "Mako" goggles from Hero shark never looked back, I personally cant recommend them enough they have taken a few head on hits & never even got a scratch.

if you find you don't like mesh due to reduced vision, then you can get masks/goggles featuring inbuilt fans that clear fogging. I have one these and does the job perfectly, although need to switch it off when your sneaking around/listening for people sneaking around. otherwise not loud enough to be a hindrance.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.