Scopes and Bipods

Baz JJ

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Thoughts on decent sniper scopes and bipods. Looking to spend £50-60 on a scope and am looking for a tilting(pivoting) and transversing bipod.

I have the Hawke Optic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hawke-Sport-HD-IR-4-12x50-AO-Mil-Dot-Illuminated-Telescopic-Rifle-Scope-HK3019-/231256213901?hash=item35d7f1c98d

I don't think they make it anymore but there's the "Updated" version on their website. I paid £65 for mine (Mounting rings sold separately) and it's a top quality piece of kit! Crystal clear glass with optic, Nitro gassed to prevent internal fogging, Paralax adjustment and more than enough zoom for airsoft! I know you can buy the cheapo £25 China scopes but when you compare the quality there's no question!

In regards to bipods, perconal choice but on my VSR I don't bother! It's so light I can hold it steady naturally and I find it way more manoeuvrable that way! If you are really into one then Harris bipods are the best but be prepared to pay about £70+ for an original! (China clones are much cheaper)

Before Christmas I was looking for a shortdot for my rifle, ie 1-4x. I looked through a lot of scopes and my conclusion was unless I spent £100 or so I was going to have a lot of parallax, colouration and other problems, not least of which was often they were more like 1.5 or even 2x at the lowest magnification. So I ended up buying a real steel Bushnell which was about £120 IIRC. Its very clear, about 1.1x on the low end and has good turrets you can get to and move with your hands for adjusting zero. I know why people don't want to spend that sort of money, I wanted to spend £40 as well I just couldn't find anything I was really happy with at that price point.

I view this the same as laptops, you need to take yourself down to Pc World and actually use a £400 laptop, just open up notepad and start typing and compare that to the £1000 one next to it and you'll see the difference immediately. Go look at some scopes in a gun shop and an airsoft shop and you'll determine if you can live with the problems of the cheap ones or not.

A great example for me was before the shortdot I was looking at the 3x flip to the side in pro airsoft. Turned out the eye relief was really small, to the point where I thought it was likely my goggles would interfere! That put an end to that possible purchase in an instant. Wouldn't have realised how bad it was unless I tried it. I think its the way to go because without experience of a decent scope its hard to evaluate the airsoft one other than "works".

Another vote for vision king. I have there Shortdot and the glass is top notch. Heres there ebay store, They have best offer on most scopes and usually can get £10 or so off the listed price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Sights-Scopes-/7307/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_ssn=vktechltd11

Thanks everybody. I appreciate what is being said and I know probably more than anybody that you get what you pay for.

Ive checked out the various makes proposed and will see how much I can push my budget in order to compromise between cost and quality.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.