RDS failing to zero at all

CommonComrade

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've had a look and the reticle will not move at all. The thing I can see wrong is a spring on the underside is bent. Any suggestions?

Do you have another RDS to compare the zeroing to at all? I only ask as with most RDS the zeroing is very slight compared to conventional sights, and when i first got one I mistakenly considered it not functional as it seemed to make no difference, i had to turn it pretty much from one extreme to the other to notice a difference.

What make/model of RDS have you got? Prob required info for people to offer advice if it is a mechanical issue

When I try to adjust the position it will not change, the Allen key slot just tightens.

Also, I've noticed the top part is off centre.

Here it is:http://www.airsoftworld.net/gun-accessories/sights-scopes-and-mounts/multi-reticle-holo-sight-5372.html

I had one similar and took it apart out of boredom, I'm assuming it's the same kind of mechanism. The adjustment works by the tiny laser being mounted on top of a spring loaded plastic bar, when you turn the screw in it pushes down on one end of the bar which like a see-saw moves the laser position. When you loosen the screw the spring provides the necessary force to push the laser back in the other direction. Mine didn't do left and right, guessing it's another bar to push it one direction, and the spring tension push it back in the other direction when the screw is loosened.

You mention a spring being bent and the top being out of alignment, my guess is that it's all come loose/ out of position inside and the screw isn't making contact with the bar anymore. If the tops out of alignment then it's probably the springs/bars that have come out of position pushing it out from the inside.

If it's possible to take apart (some of these type of RDS are just glued together) then hopefully you can put the bits into the right position. A bent spring shouldn't be too terminal, but if one these bars or similar has snapped inside them might be fooked.

Can you post pics of this bent spring and the top bit?

I had one similar and took it apart out of boredom, I'm assuming it's the same kind of mechanism. The adjustment works by the tiny laser being mounted on top of a spring loaded plastic bar, when you turn the screw in it pushes down on one end of the bar which like a see-saw moves the laser position. When you loosen the screw the spring provides the necessary force to push the laser back in the other direction. Mine didn't do left and right, guessing it's another bar to push it one direction, and the spring tension push it back in the other direction when the screw is loosened.

You mention a spring being bent and the top being out of alignment, my guess is that it's all come loose/ out of position inside and the screw isn't making contact with the bar anymore. If the tops out of alignment then it's probably the springs/bars that have come out of position pushing it out from the inside.

If it's possible to take apart (some of these type of RDS are just glued together) then hopefully you can put the bits into the right position. A bent spring shouldn't be too terminal, but if one these bars or similar has snapped inside them might be fooked.

Can you post pics of this bent spring and the top bit?

Pictures up

Bit blurred, but can't really tell exactly what wrong from the outside anyways. The bent spring etc indicates it's all kinda popped out of place inside, possibly due to abit breaking, hopefully not.

Think you'll have to take it apart and see if you can tell where it all goes back. If you're left with spare bits or can't quite workout where it all goes then perhaps some clear focused pics of the inside will make it possible for others to offer advice on what goes where.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.