Macks airsoft dreamers of the week thread

Mack
Message added by proffrink

Mod note: Yes, you can discuss any airsoft-related listing from any website in this thread. This includes listings on AF-UK itself.

Please stay on topic (i.e. about these items). Off-topic posts will be removed.

Yeah, probably. Many "upgrade projects" end up, after stupendous amounts of spaffed wonga, time and swearing/elevated blood pressure, with a fooched or wonky gnu, which inevitably ends up being punted under the "boneyard" guise.

Speaking as an electronics engineer, I'd eye any boneyard item "probably just needs a fuse" or other supposedly simple fix with extreme wariness, as in my experience invariably simple fixes are rarely simple. The basic logic being a) if it was simple someone would have sorted it by now anyway, and b) there are likely other, more major gremlins lurking within to cause much frustration and drain cash.

I generally only buy boneyard but I pick and choose. My dad made the mistake of buying someone's project. It was so bad he had to take the motor apart from where they'd somehow soldered it solid and basically ended up by a whole new gun in order to unfuck it. I learned from his mistake and picked up a VFC SCAR H for a fraction of the full price because it had a locked up gearbox. New motor and it ran fine, not that it mattered since I'm gutting it to build a DMR

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

Airsoft is particularly bad IMO due to the whole "boneyard" concept pushed by retailers, selling fucked gear at almost full RRP under the guise of a "bargain" that "just needs repair". If it "just needs xyz" then feckin fix the thing before selling it... firstly its fucked/not to standard, secondly its not a "bargain" and thirdly it sets a standard for unscrupulous private sellers to con gullible keen idiots out of their hard earned.

Totally agree with this , really boils my piss when you see this especially on classified adds , “Only needs xyz part but doesn’t effect performance” well in that case get the fecking part and fix it then ! Also how can you say “doesn’t effect performance” if it’s an actual part and NOT just simply a bit of frippery bolted on to make the gun look more realistic ? if the manufacturers used it as part of the gun then odds are you probably do need it to be there for optimum performance ?🤦‍♂️

Or another favorite of mine is “needs xyz part only a couple of quid” yes the part is only a couple of quid BUT no one has the part in stock and it hasn’t been in stock for a very long time ! 
Recently came across a TM recoil AK with a busted selector for sale and the seller had said that exact thing , so having spent over 18mths trying to get one my self as there pretty much out of stock everywhere , I said so on the add as the guy was asking near new money for it because it could still fire full auto but no safe or semi and I felt he was trying to pass it on to some unsuspecting chump .

Yep.

A bit like trying to punt a car that keeps breaking down. Except you're asking almost full price for it. "Don't worry mate, it only needs a new clutch. And three tyres. And a cylinder head gasket. And the sumps leaking, but if you top it up every day you'll be fine. The timing belts due in a couple of thousand miles  Oh, and the aircons pumped as well. And did I mention the back speakers are iffy and cut out now and again? Now you mention it, the tappets are a bit rattly. All easily fixed though, honest mate..."

Anyone with half a brain would run a mile. Regardless if it's a 10 year old Honda Accord with the above maladies, a Boeing 737 with 100000 flight hours on the clock on the service of an African airline with a dubious maintenance regime, a washing machine that sounds like a Apache on takeoff or a Lancer Tactical M4 that is hopelessly pumped for *insert bullshit reason here*, if it's almost full RRP but in any state of unserviceability, you need yer heid looked at if it's what constitutes a "bargain" or some sort of attractive deal.

Shit like this is why I stick to gas guns, which for all their faults are simpler to work on and I can at least physically see whats happening with the mechanics

4 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

everyone wants to win that lottery of a display case gun in good working order, or the "returned broken" gun with nothing more than a blown fuse.

the reality ofc is half of a decade old gun that was modded for a failed project by the shop tech, then pillaged for all the awkward parts you can't get spares for and chucked in the boneyard section when the shopkeep needs to clear some space.

Problem with you is your ridiculous optimism.   Few boneyard rifs I've looked at are that good...

• Supporters
10 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Shit like this is why I stick to gas guns, which for all their faults are simpler to work on and I can at least physically see whats happening with the mechanics

all you had to do was lower your expectations for the definition of the term "working" :P

8 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Problem with you is your ridiculous optimism.   Few boneyard rifs I've looked at are that good...

it's a curse.....

• Supporters

I like the fact that he's prepared to "talk about postage" ffs, why, cos the guns are so cheap🤣

They say there's more out than in lol🥜

On 23/11/2021 at 21:36, EvilMonkee said:

Yep very true.  If the gas guns that I have seen are anything to go by, you can peer into the guts of them in the boot of your car pre-game, then at lunchtime, and again mid fire-fight in the afternoon.  

That said I don't know a huge number of people that use them.  Is yours reliable enough?

10 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Yep very true.  If the gas guns that I have seen are anything to go by, you can peer into the guts of them in the boot of your car pre-game, then at lunchtime, and again mid fire-fight in the afternoon.  

That said I don't know a huge number of people that use them.  Is yours reliable enough?

Yep.  I have GHK AKs down to a fine art.  Temperature is the only thing that really bothers it and it has to be below 10C for it to start to struggle.  The MWS is reliable as always.  

I don't even know where to start with this one.

https://www.mayerantiques.com/product/danish-military-surplus-hensoldt-wetzlar-z24-x4-scope-with-g3-claw-mount/?v=79cba1185463

Hensoldt z24 scope with a TM mount.... €1100.

The TM mount looks to be laser etched with HTK marks, but it's still a £40 mount. It's the poor mans version as well with the moulded rail upper rather than the Stanag upper.

The scope looks to be a reasonable Z24 with either an original HTK mark or what I suspect is another laser etch. £500ish if it has the correct carry case and a correct claw mount. And was optically good... This one apparently needs a strip and clean.

I'm a bit baffled by it all as the HTK marks both show the same number Nr.0356 on the sight and what is obviously the wrong mount. All I can assume is it's a fake mark.

To put that into perspective I got a Hensoldt model 1 with the correct HK claw mount, Case, and an A.R.M.S #7 for £250 a couple of years ago.

20211125_104144-scaled.jpg

20211125_104224-scaled.jpg

20211125_104316-scaled.jpg

Edited by Iceni

• 2 weeks later...

Currently £79.99 on Just BB Guns

This used one must be nicely worn in to save any buyer having the hassle of being able to return to the shop if it’s gash 😂

I mean, why buy new when you can get a secondhand one for more and pay for postage 🤔

Phwoarr, haud me back. A top-quality "bundel" (sic, to quote BBG4L) of complete keech featuring keech splintery BBs, keech battery, keech firestarter charger and finished off in super dooper keech dayglo orange for additional keechness. Does it come wi' an instruction "manuel" (again, sic, cf. BBG4L, who's spelling is top quality like their RIFs)? Where's ma wallet...

Clearly.

But wiv such gud returnz on investmunt yood fink theyd aford sumwon whooz a desent spelchekur too sort out they're websyte. Cos ryt now it looks lyke Angela Rayner is responsible for the coding...

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/aps-by-100304-uar-urban-assault-rifle-aeg

As the resident UAR fanboi I spotted this.

£110, just 30 short of full price, and fucked. Trigger busted and fps low.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/aps-by-100304-uar-urban-assault-rifle-aeg

As the resident UAR fanboi I spotted this.

£110, just 30 short of full price, and fucked. Trigger busted and fps low.

That's outrageous for a boneyard with probably numerous issues, I've seen fully functioning UAR's go for half that s/h. 😳

Aye, I know. S much as I love it, It's a bit of sci fi plastic wrapped around an AK gearbox. Just as well I love mine, cos I'd be lucky to get 70 quid for it if I had to off it.

Dreamers...

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

Dreamers...

Nah just chiseling parasites taking advantage of the UK Airsoft community .

• Supporters

I do appreciate PatrolBase's (apparent) honesty about their boneyard stock - they list more details than other retailers tend to.

But I agree that they're dreaming about the prices.  Unless it's something that's out of stock, that you absolutely must have, I can't see why you'd bother.

It's also problematical for them to sell without return, refund or warranty.  Consider if you received something described as "minor handling scuffs, otherwise OK" and it turned out to be rekt beyond redemption. What do?