Macks airsoft dreamers of the week thread

Mack
Message added by proffrink

Mod note: Yes, you can discuss any airsoft-related listing from any website in this thread. This includes listings on AF-UK itself.

Please stay on topic (i.e. about these items). Off-topic posts will be removed.

@hunter511 - Personally I think it's something which could (if implemented correctly) be very good for the hobby, however, just because there is a qualification/certification for something doesn't guarantee that the quality of workmanship meets the same standard as another qualified technician.

• Supporters

maybe in much the same way we have threads on here that rate your experience with retailers, we should have something similar for techs, listing their geographical locations & particular areas of expertise, or if they're shite & should be avoided 😉

• Supporters

Problem with an Airsoft tech qualification is who sets the the standard AND who’s going to pay for it ?

Pretty much every sport that has any standards set for support staff has big money behind it or has set standards that have been around for ages and are ‘set in stone’

Airsoft ? We can’t even standardise the game ! 😂😂

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Problem with an Airsoft tech qualification is who sets the the standard AND who’s going to pay for it ?   

Used to be a time when shop techs could attend manufacturers courses, although I think they were nothing more than one day affairs, in order that shops could claim manufacturer validation.

being the cynical old bugger I am, I generally judge people by the quality of their work, not by the bits of paper on their walls, & I think this is true in most jobs, we've all had work colleagues who on paper match our own skill sets, but in reality do inferior (or superior😏) work, so called airsoft techs are no different, hence the need for a thread naming (or shaming) those out there.

a register sounds too official, & may give validation to those who don't deserve it ?

• Supporters

From the regular horror stories we see here, I'm not sure there are any reliable techs, let alone ones capable of teaching or certifying others.

• Supporters

Again problem we will encounter is the brainwashed cult like following some well known techs have plus we’ll have the negative comments from players with a real piece of shit gun that had ridiculous expectations once it had ‘been to the tech guy’ then get all pissy it won’t outperform much more expensive ‘stock’ guns or even just survive the abuse they gave it ?

For want of a nail!!!,

this advert whilst not necessarily a dreamer just makes me think , why risk a sale for a cheap ass castle nut and electrical tape fix which puts the whole idea of the upgrades in question?

TM HK416D upgraded

IMG_20190729_024911.thumb.jpg.dbc9cbd578
  •  
  •  
  • Price£500.00

Edited by Jedi_Master
added hyperlink to advert

@osteoshot - I must admit I spotted this and upon seeing the images and description immediately went "nope". Unfair or not, this just screams to me that it's going to opening up a potentially expensive can of worms.

I also spotted a TM NGRS HK417 in the classifieds which piqued my interest up until I read that the flash hider / outer barrel had been snapped with the seller suggesting it could be re-threaded to make the shorter version etc. Again, my brain started ticking over "well, how did that happen and what damage isn't apparent?". Consequently another resounding "nope".

• Supporters
6 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Ahem

Sole trader, or limited company?

How much professional indemnity do you have?

That annual tax and NI bill is a real sod isn't it?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, osteoshot said:

For want of a nail!!!,

this advert whilst not necessarily a dreamer just makes me think , why risk a sale for a cheap ass castle nut and electrical tape fix which puts the whole idea of the upgrades in question?

TM HK416D upgraded

IMG_20190729_024911.thumb.jpg.dbc9cbd578
  •  
  •  
  • Price£500.00

The fact the nut is loose because he’s had it opened up so many times up-grading , putting back together , taking apart again to see why it’s not working , THEN putting it back together once he’s fixed it , OR thought he’d fixed it and then needing to take it apart again , etc , etc , etc until the threads are totally bollox’ed don’t mean no never mind ? Yea right ! 🤦‍♂️

@Druid799 - The thing that gets me is what else is wrong with it? If it's required that much back and forth or if they've simply failed to use the appropriate tools what else is on its last legs? Or is it the case that the internals were upgraded by someone else and the castle nut has ended up being damaged some other way?

Finally given the type of gun it is and how much it costs why wouldn't you replace the castle nut prior to sale yourself? It beggars belief.

This is the one which really got me though. These things are pretty damn durable so it really does make me question what happened for the flash hider to "unfortunately" get snapped off. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid package and if it were all tickety boo it would be a pretty reasonable deal. Then again the entire package looks as though it was dragged through a marsh... I mean how filth covered do your pouches have to be to be unable to tell what colour they actually are? Then again, they highlight the fact that the weathering is "all natural" so I guess the buyer can sleep soundly knowing that it's organic...

shutterstock_188022557_2.jpg.b0f3a0850a2adaffac36a3be34658efd.jpg

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

The fact the nut is loose because he’s had it opened up so many times up-grading , putting back together , taking apart again to see why it’s not working , THEN putting it back together once he’s fixed it , OR thought he’d fixed it and then needing to take it apart again , etc , etc , etc until the threads are totally bollox’ed don’t mean no never mind ? Yea right ! 🤦‍♂️

Really brings your teching ability into question when you couldn't even bodge it with loctite or ptfe 😂.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Ltd.

Not really my concern but can find out if I need to.

That is the accounting department's issue.

Oh, are you actually a professional airsoft technician?

Honestly, I've not being paying attention.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Oh, are you actually a professional airsoft technician?

Honestly, I've not being paying attention.

No such thing as a professional airsoft technician.

There is such a thing as engineering though which is where I earn my paycheck. If I ever do decide to go into fixing airsoft guns full time I would do so by going under the umbrella of a machining firm I know that has a nice empty workshop space I can take. For now though doing the bits I do I get by using the resources of the mid sized engineering company that I work for and who give me free access to do anything I need.

That's why I don't just put bits in but actually manufacturer bespoke parts when needed. 

Mac 10's priced at £110.00 per unit. I'm not completely sure if this belongs here but given these can be found on average for £120 - £130 the price seems a little steep. Especially when you consider the fact that it isn't even confirmed if the magazine(s) are gas tight and if the guns work as they should.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

it isn't even confirmed if the magazine(s) are gas tight

its an aep 😜

but yeah price is a smidge high.

• Supporters
17 hours ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

This is the one which really got me though. These things are pretty damn durable so it really does make me question what happened for the flash hider to "unfortunately" get snapped off. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid package and if it were all tickety boo it would be a pretty reasonable deal. Then again the entire package looks as though it was dragged through a marsh... I mean how filth covered do your pouches have to be to be unable to tell what colour they actually are? Then again, they highlight the fact that the weathering is "all natural" so I guess the buyer can sleep soundly knowing that it's organic...

shutterstock_188022557_2.jpg.b0f3a0850a2adaffac36a3be34658efd.jpg

When selling kit you usually try to get it looking it’s best ? Not it’s fecking worst ! 🤦‍♂️ Pouches are filthy , mags are filthy , everything is covered in shit’n god knows what ! You don’t just ‘snap’ a TM outer without any damage or displacement to the internal parts . MOST definitely a time to invest in a 10ft barge poll ! 😳

• Supporters

Well it would appear there really is one born everyday , the 417 with the snapped off flashhider 😳is listed as completed ! 😱

Busted 417