new starter

gareth

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

I am hopefully having my first skirmish this Sunday, i may have jumped the gun but have gone and got myself a second hand Black Viper AK12. I am in the process of camming it up ( leaving the flash guard red so it still looks replica ) i was wondering what tips you guys could give me ? Also i would like to add a suppressor but i am not sure if they is one to fit ? Please help

Gareth

• Supporters

Hi - welcome to forum

AK12 and/or Well D12 in US, can't do much to it as flash hider is glued on and no usual counter clockwise or CCW 14mm thread at end of barrel

However Chock was the first to transform the AK12 with a proper gearbox in thereand

I've followed a while later - it is a nice change from the normaal AK's out there

std box is a bit crap, punching aprox 270fps on about 9 or 10rps

barrel is about 250mm but have fitted a 455 AK one in mine and tweaked it with a plastic - yes plastic box but better plastic box

the black viper AK12's and G36's are ok for plinking - they aren't as bad as the BV M4's

but you will struggle going up against others with slightly better ~ much better guns

It can be tweaked to perform better but still a little too light and reckon with too much heavy abuse she will crack or bust

Go easy with it, try not to run into any trees or fall ar$e over tip and she be ok but for longer regular use consider upgrading at some point

see this post for what is inside - mega kudos to Chock once again - hope he returns soon

OOpppps forgot the bloomin' link

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/23635-first-ak12-in-production/?hl=ak12

hi thanks for the advise , most of it went over my head ( for now )

any info or tips on upgrading would be great, looks like im gonna get my arse handed to me on Sunday ! never mind got to start somewhere

Gareth

Its a pretty poor purchase, not really a skirmish capable weapon IMO. Its not really worth upgrading its not really all that compatible. A modern sports class AEG rather than a plinking gun is necessary for an actual skirmish. You weapon will be severely outclassed in range accuracy, rate of fire by the rentals let alone all the custom guns.

I don't think that gun is suitable for Skirmishing. I posted here a few months ago, aksing about the exact gun and every response was telling me to stay clear. I got the G&G CM16, has been excellent thus far.

• Supporters

Trust me - it ain't as bad as some of the crap I bought....i

if you got it for a good price s/hand then no biggy - it is still one of the few AK12's

at least it is worth keeping as a unique gun

Yeah

I don't think I will ever show off my Bull$hit B500A1 - only way I would put that on a wall is if I threw it at it

• Root Admin

Welcome to the forums.

Hey for £30 you could have done worse, but do try to have a plan B in mind for when you go in case it doesn't make it through the day or is totally outclassed (which isn't unlikely, unfortunately). Renting is usually about £15-25 more - which I realise seems like quite a bit - but when you've paid the £20 walk-on fee and you're not having much fun because shits broken then you could be kicking yourself.

• Supporters

if the gearbox busts but gun is intact it would make an interesting project to beef up

I reckon you done ok - is fine for plinking - though some really cheap guns could scrape by at cqb

the longer AK12 - and being plastic may not be ideal to smack round cqb doorways etc.....

you may be at a disadvantage for longer range engagements - well you WILL be to be honest

But we have all been taken out by some 12yr old packing a JBBG gun, I still get my ar$e shot up by that *king kid again

Have a go by all means, but maybe try to be stealthy/hidden to get jump on players with better range guns

reckon you may get some kills, not cane the poor thing too much and have a bit of fun at same time

(fun is most important bit - no matter what gun you got imho)

Have fun, if you get into it, then look at some better starter guns you may see others using

I have wasted much much much more than £30 on plinkers before I realised my errors

• Supporters

You are right, Gareth, you are going to get your arse handed to you. But that will happen first time out no matter what you are shooting. The difference is that with a decent starter gun, by lunchtime you will know that, with practice, you will have a chance and will probably enjoy yourself more if you come back. It's not very PC to say, I mean we are encouraged to believe that it is the taking part that is the shit, not the winning, but the truth is that winning feels good and losing is bad; the worse the losing the worse it feels. To have a chance of winning when you start out you need a decent gun. Rent until you get a UKARA registration number and then buy a decent assault rifle (if you want a cheap modern looking AK that will cut it, check this out - we can advise you on all the issues).

In the meantime talk to people on here about guns and gear. Ask for opinions on anything you are considering buying and wait for replies before you hand over any wedge: there are a number of companies out there who manage to appear high in google searches but who are basically making their money by ripping off airsoft noobs.

If you read Chock's thread about upgrading AK12's, once you understand how AEG's work, you could go for it (and I would replace the barrel also, as SD said), but at this stage take what our mate the Duck said on board: you probably will snap it. Not just because it's plastic; there are plenty of plastic guns which are robust enough to skirmish, but that AK12 isn't one of them.

Have a read of this also.

And welcome to the forums :)

guys

Thanks for all you kind words, i had a absolute blast on Sunday , and believe it or not the AK12 lasted the entire day and is still working !!! was out ranged but got nicely dug in and got over 20 confirmed kills ( not bad for a first timer) , next step is change the V3 gearbox to full metal, swap 8.4 for the 9.2 battery and if possible extend the barrel, also add some extra weight to the inside of the fore stock and change the rails from plastic to metal, if anyone can steer me in a direction of where to get hold of a metal V3 gearbox that would be great, i live in Hertford, i have already got my first game signed off so i am on my way

Glad you got on well, guns like yours will certainly be comparatively worse for range & accuracy/spread, but IMO being forced to run in a bit closer rather than cowering behind a tree the second you spot the opp, isn't a bad thing for any newcomer, as being more proactively mobile will allow you to kick ass regardless of what gun you have.

The difference isn't that huge at the end of the day, it's only firing a plastic ball. We all like to think it is necessary to spend 10 times the amount you did (myself included), but it's definitely more of a common standard of luxury rather than a necessary standard to play the game. I kinda think most of the 'that guns not suitable for airsoft' replies to you (and the countless others who pose the question about their 50% orange BB gun) are said because we all want to put off dumb kids who think it's like CoD in person, as they're usually the ones who buy them and they're worst demographic for trying to cheat and other reckless behavior. If they only spent £50 on a gun then it isn't too big a deal for them if they get banned for being a dick head from their local site (probably ruining the day for the rest there in the process), buying a £150+ gun at least means you'll care about whether you can keep using it or not.

Good luck upgrading the AK12, would be trickier than doing so to a 'normal' standard of AEG judging from what mr duck says, which is tricky for any AEG first time and easy to fudge. I personally would get a 'normal' standard of gun like a ICS/G&G and then go back to pimping the AK12 once my familiarity of AEG internals had grown. Would be a shame if you end up having spent £100 on internals for a £30 gun, but can't get it to work properly. It will however be awesome when you have an AK12 with a good standard of internals, it's just a question of whether that time should be now, or later.

colonel ,

Thank you sir!!! for the positive feedback, much appreciated. I never have been one for cowering anyhow!! had a great day and cant wait until thew next. I will have a look at the ICS and the G&G

Gareth

• Supporters

Great to hear you got on well!

I would echo Col Kurtz though. Don't bother throwing good money after bad trying to upgrade the AK12. Save up and buy a better gun. Keep the AK12 as a spare and do it up when you have the time. That way if it all goes horribly wrong you've still got a gun that works!

Just get a combat machine and have a hassle free day. My first gun was bought from the worse website going (it had bb in the name) it cost a fortune and was drastically disadvantaged at my first three shoots. I plunged shed loads of money into it to try and get it on par but it was a waste of time and effort, staring with a shite base means you have to change loads. Get a good starter and you won't have to do much.

A g&g cm with a new hop bucking and nub, or even a flat hop, will give you a very competitive rifle for less than £150.

There's nothing better than taking guys with ££££ worth of kit will your relatively cheap rifle

why not? Each to their own.

How about you articulate a response instead of being defensive - I was not objecting, judging, critiquing, disliking, disagreeing, or saying in any way shape or form that I had a problem with your post.

Contextually, I am on the edge of buying and I keep switching between £350 weapons and £120 weapons. I am interested to know what how money (others have spent) has anything to do with the gameplay experience.

Will I enjoy the game more if I spend less and play against people who spend more?

Besides your lengthy post has nothing to do with this thread, you've got on the defensive and picked out one line I've wrote and wrote two paragraphs about it. I'm just trying to reassure OP (who's rocked up to his first shoot with a 30quid gun) that you don't need to break the bank to be effective. but like I've said and will say again, each to their own.

i'll bite, it's fun to shoot someone with a significantly cheaper or less cool gun because it's a combination of under-dog satisfaction and if it actually pisses them off more than being hit by a 1k gun theres the sadistic pleasure of kicking over someones ego sand-castle a bit.

it's like a safe way to be a douche-bag, if they get pissed of by it because they're a douche-bag who cares about the difference then you can feel free to be a douche-bag and revel in their fury.

quite similar to asking 'why' when you have a suspicion someones being a douchebag really hehe :)

/end troll

i'll bite, it's fun to shoot someone with a significantly cheaper or less cool gun because it's a combination of under-dog satisfaction and if it actually pisses them off more than being hit by a 1k gun theres the sadistic pleasure of kicking over someones ego sand-castle a bit.

Exactly. The other guy doesn't seem to get that. not to mention I've said "each to their own" about five times meaning it's just my opinion, which I don't see why what I think matters to someone else.

Exactly. The other guy doesn't seem to get that. not to mention I've said "each to their own" about five times meaning it's just my opinion, which I don't see why what I think matters to someone else.

Yeah, except, that I'm not saying you're not entitled to it, nor that I think anything contentious of your opinion - just that I can't understand it.

Oh dude come on, I understood the first time. I'm doing the opposite of defending, I have an opinion, and it is what it is. I have no need to defend or explain why my opinions are what they are, to (no offence) some guy I don't know on a forum.

imagine the boot was on the other foot, you don't know me, you don't care what I think or what I have to say about how you play your hobby, so if I repeatedly asked you why you think what you think when you're not interested. You'd be thinking.... "Who the f**ks this guy"

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.