New Airsoft player in town looking for some gun advice!

Daniel248

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all. New to Airsoft and this forum. Hope everyone is doing good.

As the topic title states I'm looking for some advice. It's almost time I finally buy my first gun. And I've been doing my head in about what to buy. What brand to buy etc etc.

My biggest things about the gun is durability, accuracy, and power. Which has lead me to believing Tokyo Marui is one of my best bets? I may be wrong. Please correct me if I am.

However more importantly it has lead me to the Tokyo Marui Pro Line AEG SOPMOD

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=4833

What's everyone's thoughts? Worth the money? Will I get what I'm looking for? Or are there better options out there?

Many thanks in advance. Appreciate your help and advice.

Look at VFC weapons if you have like a 500 quid budget there guns don't shoot too hard for UK regs at most fields and there guns have probably the best externals and very good internals. TM are very good but I feel there guns are over priced.

The gun manufacture most people will point you towards will be KWA for those specs but if you want to play with it you will have to downgrade the GPS which is and added cost. They are also very hard to find with a RIS rail on.

Guest PT247

PTS RM4 ERG

Cheaper than the TM, has recoil, shoots dead straight, may be a little hot out the box but run 500 BBs through it and see what it chronos at, mine with the hop dialled in for 0.3g BBs is bang on 350fps which is my site limit for AEGs.

Probs the best RIF you can buy for the money if you can find one in stock.

• Supporters

Any of the TM recoil guns are a solid choice, with the SOPMODs you might want to consider getting it rewired to a deans connector as the SOPMOD proprietary batteries aren't very good and are very expensive. You should be able to fit at least a 7.4V 1250 mAh stick LiPo in the stock, which can be picked up for about £15 and will last you between 1/2 and a full day depending on how much ammo you get through.

heres a little thing i did with my recoil, I used a CTR stock and wired it to the outside and i use a fake Garmin GPS to contain the battery that way i can have the stock all the way down or up and still have plenty of battery power and the ease of changing a battery without taking the stock apart! If you can afford it go for the TM mate you wont regret it (yours sincerely a TM fan boy)

post-7793-0-42460400-1432889508_thumb.jpg

Look at VFC weapons if you have like a 500 quid budget there guns don't shoot too hard for UK regs at most fields and there guns have probably the best externals and very good internals. TM are very good but I feel there guns are over priced.

VFC is the one that's overpriced, paying loads extra just for real-steel logo's on the gun. As for people commonly recommending KWA, the only recommendations about them i've ever heard was don't buy. Sounds like you've gotten all your advice from your local small-time retailer, or people who took said advice.

• Supporters

I haven't had a TM Recoil Shock apart, but their usual gearboxes are pants. Not just poor value for money, I mean worse quality parts than the cheap Chinese clones based on them.

PTS RM4 ERG

Cheaper than the TM, has recoil, shoots dead straight, may be a little hot out the box but run 500 BBs through it and see what it chronos at, mine with the hop dialled in for 0.3g BBs is bang on 350fps which is my site limit for AEGs.

Probs the best RIF you can buy for the money if you can find one in stock.

So in fact it's still hot then

then?

Do you not chrono with 0.2's?

TM everyday if you can afford it.

My regular skirmishing weapon is a Tokyo Marui MC51 which I had imported from Japan about 17 years ago.

I thought she died recently, but it was just the hop rubber had perished (can't think why?).

A friend of mine has a large collection of airsoft weapons (we are talking over 100) and has several TM weapons that are over 15 years old, and they fire without missing a beat. Granted, they aren't skirmished with, but still...

Guest PT247

So in fact it's still hot then

then?

Do you not chrono with 0.2's?

no it is not hot, it is bang on 350 FPS on site mags and BBs, which is around 285 FPS on 0.3g BBs

You cannot go wrong with TM... plain and simple.

Are they worth the money? I haven't heard a REAL TM owner complain yet.

Do yourself a favour and have a test drive of TM recoils and other AEGs at your local shop. Even if you don't get to shoot them, handle them and shake them about... decide for yourself.

Half of the comparative extra expense from TM is in the exchange rate, so don't think they're really that much more expensive, it's just bad economic luck for us. Also it's easier for retailers to profit from anything sold in dollars or made in china so they have to add their margin on to what is an already unhealthy exchange rate.

They just keep working, I recently bought a 2nd hand MP7 that looks like it's been lovingly used for a decade and it still works flawlessly. I took it entirely apart and found a couple wear/tear issues in the gearbox that should have stopped it but nope, just kept on trucking.

It's not like there's significant extra tech in them or anything, they've just been doing it long enough and well enough to get the manufacturing process sorted and iron out all the little issues between the balance of parts.

Half of the comparative extra expense from TM is in the exchange rate, so don't think they're really that much more expensive, it's just bad economic luck for us. Also it's easier for retailers to profit from anything sold in dollars or made in china so they have to add their margin on to what is an already unhealthy exchange rate.

Aye, could kill the industry with a "for the people, by the people", airsoft store.

Crowd source 100k, open shop in certain European country, kill off other retailers /sadface

Hi all. New to Airsoft and this forum. Hope everyone is doing good.

As the topic title states I'm looking for some advice. It's almost time I finally buy my first gun. And I've been doing my head in about what to buy. What brand to buy etc etc.

My biggest things about the gun is durability, accuracy, and power. Which has lead me to believing Tokyo Marui is one of my best bets? I may be wrong. Please correct me if I am.

However more importantly it has lead me to the Tokyo Marui Pro Line AEG SOPMOD

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=4833

What's everyone's thoughts? Worth the money? Will I get what I'm looking for? Or are there better options out there?

Many thanks in advance. Appreciate your help and advice.

You will buy that, then get bored because it will be everything you want.

Yes TM are good for the brand, however there are more then a few who have pointed out issues with their internals.

I am going to be the voice of reason here..

Since you are newer to airsoft, why not get a decent entry level (£120) or Amateur (£240) and then learn about the sport. Put that extra money aside for things like gear / holsters, a side arm / Uprgades.. Heck you can get all of that for less then that gun, and then you can start learning the internals and upgrading them. If it all goes badly you've not spent £££ on something that you may not want.

Aye, could kill the industry with a "for the people, by the people", airsoft store.

Crowd source 100k, open shop in certain European country, kill off other retailers /sadface

Yeah agreed, I'm happy to pay 10-20% extra knowing it's keeping lots of the people who founded the sport going, rather than get it all dirt cheap in a Walmart forced the local grocer to shut-down kinda way

You will buy that, then get bored because it will be everything you want.

Yes TM are good for the brand, however there are more then a few who have pointed out issues with their internals.

I am going to be the voice of reason here..

Since you are newer to airsoft, why not get a decent entry level (£120) or Amateur (£240) and then learn about the sport. Put that extra money aside for things like gear / holsters, a side arm / Uprgades.. Heck you can get all of that for less then that gun, and then you can start learning the internals and upgrading them. If it all goes badly you've not spent £££ on something that you may not want.

It is a tough choice than can go either way, buy the ultimate gun and risk not liking airsoft, or buy an entry-level gun and end up buying the ultimate one later and making it redundant, or spending more to upgrade the entry level gun to pimped standards (always costs fair bit more to do bit by aftermarket bit than all in one go to start)

I'd agree what you suggest is the safer bet, as if you like the game enough to buy a £500 gun you wont mind having a £150 one sat unused in the closet, or can always flog it. Depends how certain you are that airsoft is for you I guess

I haven;t seen many people complain about the internals, and never seen anything wrong with them myself. The only complaint/warning i ever see is that you will have issues with TM when you start messing with them, even just a harder spring (which almost everyone seems to get, the guy at Zero One was shocked when i didn't want this option with a new TM, it's like a default for them). Problem is this isn't what it is designed/balanced to do, and TM's work well because this balance has been so finely tuned by them over the years, so TM certainly isn't a tinkerers choice (unless you replace everything with laylax parts or similar and find your own balance). But they are perfect if you just want a tool for the job you dont have to worry about.

Thanks for the advice guys. Tad great words of wisdom and you sound exactly like my mate who got me into this wonderful sport. I will take what you guys have said. Try a £200/£250 gun like a G&G or Kings Arms. Maybe even a WE or something kit myself out then later towards then end of the year when I've found out if its for me. Buy a monster of a gun.

Many thanks guys. Really appreciate the advice.

Buying a first gun all depends on what level of experience you have.

For instance, if you have never really skirmished much before then the ideal gun would be a lower priced Sportsline gun; that way, if you are running around a woodland and haven't developed your spacial awareness with the weapon you won't be too upset if you clatter it against a tree end snap it in half.

If you have done quite a few skirmishes and have developed your spacial awareness and have the budget you can spend a little bit more, knowing you are less likely to experience the running+gun+tree = two bits of AEG scenario...

• Supporters

I'd get what's right for you at the end of the day. When I got back into airsoft the first gun I bought was a TM HK416, i've had it for a year and a half and still love it. Judging by your first post Daniel you are about to get your UKARA number so you must have done a few games to get a feel for the hobby, rather than rushing out and getting it in two tone to avoid waiting.

I think most airsofters would be lying if they said they could make do with one gun, it's just going to be a case of whether buying a more expensive gun would clean you out to the point that if and when you want another gun you can't afford it.

As much as people don't like TMs for various reasons it's quite hard to dispute their reliability which is certainly something to consider. When I run my G&P LMG I always have the HK416 as a backup in my bag as I know if I need it that it will work.

With the whole 'cheap gun redundant after buying expensive gun' argument, at that point OP could always use the cheap gun as a training gun for taking apart and servicing airsoft guns

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.