High Cap Mags

ghost85

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I used to run a SRC M4 and was winding my mags after each 2-3 sec burts and probably after each 3rd single shot (give or take a shot or two). Its was the case with 4 different mags i bought. Now i run a TM CQB-R and need high caps again. Iam most likely gonna buy tm mags but my questions is

1. Was my problem with my last gun normal

2. How often do people wind mags and how often do you have mis fires

3. Anyone with a recoil TM have any problems like my problems like that

Guest PT247

Are you winding them fully? And why you firing full auto for 3 seconds? If your gun shoots at 20 rps that is 60BBs fired at someone, seriously you are gonna hurt someone.

Switch to semi and fire aimed shots, far more accurate/efficient.

Most you should be firing on full auto is half to one second MAX.

• Supporters

1 - Sounds like standard behaviour for a high cap mag firing long bursts. You should get 20 or so shots single shot per full wind(normally 5 or so winds IIRC)

2 - When I used them I'd wind them whenever I wasn't firing, I stopped using them because I don't find them reliable

3 - I've never used high caps in my recoil as it removes the bolt stop functionality, I'm not saying you shouldn't that's just my preference

Monkeynuts i think thats actually 2 words but mods are what iam using for cqb sites but 5 mids wasnt enought for dragon lair few weeks ago went through them in the first 10 mins.

Esoterick thats what i was after thanks.

Guest PT247

I run an 850 round hi-cap in my RM4, need to wind the wheel around 50 times to do it fully. I only really ever fire in semi so no idea how many shots that is as I wind when transitioning to keep it fully wound for when it gets hectic.

1 word: midcaps

Not really that practical for airsoft unless you're going for generic operator look or doing Milsims. If you select full auto and pull the trigger, you'll need to reload in approximately 1 to 2 seconds.

each to their own, but personally I can't be bothered with a 10 and 1 loadout, when you can have a 2 and 1 with way more ammo and less weight for the sake of "look how operator I am guys, see.... no winder!"

Not really that practical for airsoft unless you're going for generic operator look or doing Milsims. If you select full auto and pull the trigger, you'll need to reload in approximately 1 to 2 seconds.

each to their own, but personally I can't be bothered with a 10 and 1 loadout, when you can have a 2 and 1 with way more ammo and less weight for the sake of "look how operator I am guys, see.... no winder!"

Unless you're running something with crazy rof you're going to be getting at the very least least 4 seconds of full auto out of most mid-caps, 1-2 seconds would be low-caps on a high rof...

Sure high caps give you the benefit of having lots of ammo in fewer magazines, they also make you sound like a pair of maracas when running and require you to fumble around spinning a little wheel every few seconds.

So yeah, it's not just about looking 'operator', some of us don't like sounding ridiculous on the move ;)

• Supporters

The thing is a lot of people, myself included are fine just using mid caps. I have no issues with 5 or 6 mags, the alternative being lots of winding and forgetting to wind in a firefight meaning you get the drop on someone and your gun fires nothing. I've got no problem with people running whatever they like in airsoft, but it should be noted there's no elitism in running mid caps and even people running low caps in their gas guns with no perceived loadout impression have no problem in games.

I actually never saw the point in anything but high caps years ago when I started airsoft, but after actually trying the alternatives it makes a lot more sense.

You can still be 'realistic' with hicaps, just unload them to wind, simple.

I do however subscribe to the underlined quote below:

http://airsoftoperator.com/why-using-high-caps-is-for-your-bad-health/

"My conscious choice to handicap myself by using realistic capacity magazines is one for game play. It adds stresses and strains to your game. You have to count your shots, you have to carry more weight. You have to think things through. You have to be aware.

Reloads can change the pace of a battle. You wait for the lapse in fire to make your move, they add another element to the tactics. You can bait people into firing at you more, so they’ll need to reload sooner, giving you a window. You can use the enemy’s ammo as a weapon.

With high caps there is no lapse in fire, if you get pinned by a high cap, you’re going to be pinned for a long time. I would argue that high caps require a lot less skill to use effectively and I think many would struggle to argue against that notion. When you have that much ammo, it’s a lot easier to hose areas down than play effectively with proper tactics. Even high cap users that use semi only – that’s no better. In fact it means they take longer to get through all their ammo, so the time before they need to reload becomes even longer, making it even harder for anyone else to make a move on them."

I'm really baffled by the need for high ROF guns? I have a TM Scar which I run on a 7.4 lipo, I've had no issues in full auto running mid caps. Does everyone enjoy wasting money spraying foliage thinking there's someone behind a bush? (ooh err). I've been sniping for the last 5/6 months and my whole attitude has changed to now find that 1 or 2 well aimed shots is far batter than 50 "Sprayed" shots. I've now put a 5x mag scope on my Scar and again I'm finding that i'm wasting far less ammo now that I can see where my BB's are landing.

• Supporters

As long as there are people standing in plain sight and shooting full auto, there is need for hicaps. :) And people do that. It's a skirmish there are every kind of players.

If you go for the more tactical way where you actually aim before you shoot, sneak, etc. then midcaps are better.

• Supporters

At the end of the day everybody has a different play style so use the mags that suit you.

I run 3or4 40rnd lowcaps and use a speedloader when in regen but also carry a 300 rnd high cap for the times when I want to lay down a load of bbs. Maybe there is no right type so better to be versatile with your loadout.

• Supporters

Or you could learn to aim and only fire what you know is going to hit and not just spam full auto.

But where's the fun in that?

• Supporters

Or just use a bolt sniper or a jbbg springer

use what you want - within reason

play how you like - within reason also

I play for fun, have a laugh, trying not to fall ar$e over tit, seeing if my gun will last the day and thinking I need to get into shape

Actually I'm in shape - a big old ball shape that often thinks to myself in lethal weapon style......

I'm too old for this $hit - but wtf is still a laugh

• Supporters

Can you not get hicaps that are auto wound? So when the gun is firing, a motor is turning the wheel on the mag?

You can indeed. You can even get sound activated ones that are triggered by the noise of the gun working.

• Supporters

Why not get those instead then?...

Because some of us are happy to wind?

Seriously though the sound activated ones tend to be "double" mags to fit the motor in which is fine if you like the whole "two mags taped together" look but it's not for everyone. Plus airsofters are a funny bunch - they'll happily pay a gazillion quid for a Haley Strategic velcro patch but god forbid they be asked to pay more than a tenner for a hi-cap magazine! :)

Unless you're running something with crazy rof you're going to be getting at the very least least 4 seconds of full auto out of most mid-caps, 1-2 seconds would be low-caps on a high rof...

Sure high caps give you the benefit of having lots of ammo in fewer magazines, they also make you sound like a pair of maracas when running and require you to fumble around spinning a little wheel every few seconds.

So yeah, it's not just about looking 'operator', some of us don't like sounding ridiculous on the move ;)

Agree with literally everything you're saying there, and I do have 10 of the G&G 79 mags. but it's worth noting that a midcap could be as low as 50 and 25rps is not uncommon so a full auto burst won't last long although my original 1-2 seconds claim was abit of an over statement but you know what I mean. as for the rattle of high caps, when theyre in pouch they'd be wound so not much rattle if any is heard, you'd only get a rattle when you're half way through you're loaded mag and sprinting about. plus running a speed loader and bottle beebs kinda against the point of having rattle-less midcaps imho.

Like I say each to their own but I know personally, towards the afternoon on a skirmish, that ten mag plate carrier, goggles and helmet are going in the car, and out comes a two high cap belt set up and glasses. which I always seem to have more fun with, it's just more practical for your needs.

As for the ol' "just shoot what you can hit" argument.... Well sometimes it's more fun to just spray the shit out of the other team, even if you used 450 beebs for one hit if you're lucky lol.

plus how many "well placed, accurate single shots" do you fire before you've ajusted for, wind, trees, twigs, movement, bb inconsistencies, dickhead Marshall standing in the way before you get that hit.

Took me 50 adjustment shots, but I got him in one shot! Lol....

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.