Rifle options

Ashilta

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

But not what you think!

I have in my possession a Magpul PTS CQB MOE M4. For short, I will call this 'my M4'. My M4 is pretty useless. It has a wobbly stock. It has something that I think is called an ASCU in it. Said ASCU is buggered, such that full auto isn't really full auto. I have to set the fire selector to full auto, pull the trigger a few times, then begin to slowly rotate the fire selector back to single until a round randomly fires itself, at which point I know that if I leave the fire selector there full auto works.

Now, call me old fashioned but that seems pretty stupid. The thing also has next to no range and, well, I'm just pretty unimpressed with it. So, my options are:

1) Learn VERY quickly how to 'repair' the damn thing before I launch it from a very high window.

2) Pay someone else to see if it is even reparable

3) Buy a new rifle

Thoughts on each appreciated!

Every airsofter is always faced with the dilema of repair themselves or pay someone else to do it. Really does depend on how deep into things you want to get in the sport really. I view maintaining your own guns as part of the activity and the thought of paying someone £30 to replace a spring in a basic device like this annoyed my sensibilities. But ultimately I think every gun is repairable and its almost always cheaper to do that than buy a new one.

• Supporters

it is probably programmed wrong or you are using the wrong battery for it

as it may have been programmed for burst on a certain battery....

chrono the thing it probably has a leak or buggered hop

take it to a professional/shop coz it probably just needs a quick service and reset the thing back to default settings

• Supporters

I'd definitely get it repaired, although personally i'd get a tech to do it as I find the hands on stuff frustrating. Up to you if you would find fixing it rewarding, or like me be more along the lines of when Homer tries to build a barbecue in the Simpsons

To be fair I am kind of dreading spending this afternoon fixing my R hop. I got one great day out of it then a bit of the glue appears to have come loose and is hanging into the barrel and is destroy the amazing range and accuracy it gave me. On the other hand knowing how the gun works and how to replace parts and how they should look has allowed me to build a custom gun that outperforms almost everyone on the field, giving me an accuracy and range advantage that is very useful. You can try and get a shop to do custom work but if you look at the price of custom guns around the UK shops (like landwarrior) they are frighteningly expensive and aren't always even containing best of breed parts let alone being hand tuned to perfection. I faced the dilema on buying my very first gun before my second game of airsoft, I just made the call to go all in on understanding how they work and 14 months on I am more than competent and benefiting from that decision (but at the cost of time).

To be fair I am kind of dreading spending this afternoon fixing my R hop. I got one great day out of it then a bit of the glue appears to have come loose and is hanging into the barrel and is destroy the amazing range and accuracy it gave me. On the other hand knowing how the gun works and how to replace parts and how they should look has allowed me to build a custom gun that outperforms almost everyone on the field, giving me an accuracy and range advantage that is very useful. You can try and get a shop to do custom work but if you look at the price of custom guns around the UK shops (like landwarrior) they are frighteningly expensive and aren't always even containing best of breed parts let alone being hand tuned to perfection. I faced the dilema on buying my very first gun before my second game of airsoft, I just made the call to go all in on understanding how they work and 14 months on I am more than competent and benefiting from that decision (but at the cost of time).

it is probably programmed wrong or you are using the wrong battery for it

as it may have been programmed for burst on a certain battery....

chrono the thing it probably has a leak or buggered hop

take it to a professional/shop coz it probably just needs a quick service and reset the thing back to default settings

I researched the programming and it's true to say that if I re-program it then it works fine... Until I next set 'safe' for more than a few moments. Basically means taking the hand-guard off, disconnecting the battery, connecting and re-programming every game. Very tiresome.

• Supporters

Well I was kinda close

There might be a kind of way of saving the settings to overide the default ones permanently

or it could be faulty I guess - not had one but the King Kong II was a bitch to get ya head round

I screwed up more than once but luckily there was a reset to default

once programmed it stays that way - even when reconnecting a new battery - but must wait 5 secs

(first 5 secs booting is when you program it - so if you pull trigger then you can mess it all up)

soz that is KKBWE2 - not had a ascu - earlier ones were external - later revisions where inside box

to be honest if you took it to a pro - they would know more than you n me.

they would know if it is faulty unit or user error - no offense

if faulty - when they service it they could replace it with a normal fet or another burst control unit

There are a few out there if you like the bells n whistles stuff

I like external fets & wizards, easier to replace if they go wrong or you wanna change it about for another type

Merf 2 is a cheaper external option and sure there's loads more

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.