Building the "Sweetest" DMR?

Snakeeyes75

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, I've been toying with the idea of a DMR, having fallen in love with my VSR sniper rifle and the whole "Sniper" role I thought I'd just toy around with the idea of a Polarstar powered DMR. So.... Where do I begin? Most sites around me have a 400-420 fps limit

I'm not a fan of them term DMR in an airsoft context. Any hot rifle locked to semi is a DMR.

RS pistols have rifled barrels, get a pistol shooting 400fps and you've upgraded to realm that is (drum roll) .... DMR

Well... Not really! Building a 400fps gun that's goal is accuracy is a bit different from just a "hot" gun! My VSR fires at 500fps but the power only accounts for part of the fun! Accuracy was my goal and that's what I got! If you think I'd be better off with a 400 fps pistol then fine but that's not really helping me! I'm asking about where to start a dmr polarstar build.

You probably want to r hop it for a start and get a Pdi barrel. Also get A h nub and do the Teflon tape mod. This will give you the most accuracy and range. You will also want a nice high torque momotor. I recommend the lonex a2.

I'm just saying the term DMR, is a bit lose regarding airsoft for the above reasons.

And to be honest you don't seem stupid, you probably already know whT you're going to do.

But the premise is simple, polarstar powered rifle, 400fps and locked. Job done

Just make sure you get vn mags and at least a x4 scope so no one mistakes you for someone who isn't totally awesome.

So if I'm going to use a polarstar engine, what base gun would be best? I was thinking sr25 as it takes a long inner barrel stock, although I know the joule creep would be crazy. What's a good recommendation?

Guest PT247

Airsoft is a sport, it isn't real.... an airsoft gun is a tool, it can look however it wants, it has no requirement to be a RIF of an actual DMR to be classed as one, this is a good thing as it means you can get a small gun to perform at larger ranges and more accurately. Why hate that? DMR airsoft guns have as many disadvantages as they do advantages. A decent build will be a stonkingly good gun :-)

Airsoft is a sport, it isn't real.... an airsoft gun is a tool, it can look however it wants, it has no requirement to be a RIF of an actual DMR to be classed as one, this is a good thing as it means you can get a small gun to perform at larger ranges and more accurately. Why hate that? DMR airsoft guns have as many disadvantages as they do advantages. A decent build will be a stonkingly good gun :-)

Believe me when I say I don't normally care what a gun looks like. I'm not really a gun lover but I know there's a lot of people that try to build on mostly looks alone. With this however I would like to stick with the standard dmr look, M4 (ish) body. Long barrel and a 4-9 scope

I think with this I'd like to aim for as best quality as possible. It's early days and I'm still working a budget but getting the body of the gun would be a great start. I've seen some crazy demos of polarstar and I think I'm still buzzing tbh! I'm aiming at a top quality build.

• Supporters

An M4 platform is one of the worst choices for a DMR. It has the worst hopup. You can use the newer hopups with one wheel, but they are still greatly inferior to for example a standard M14 hopup.

M14 is the bestest dmr, then the G3 is also great, SL8 if you like how it looks. Then maybe AKs types. The AS VAL and Vintorez are nice looking guns and should be fine as DMRs, but I never owned one of those. And then there are the less common ones. Aug, FN Fal, Galil, SVD, etc.

An M4 platform is one of the worst choices for a DMR. It has the worst hopup. You can use the newer hopups with one wheel, but they are still greatly inferior to for example a standard M14 hopup.

M14 is the bestest dmr, then the G3 is also great, SL8 if you like how it looks. Then maybe AKs types. The AS VAL and Vintorez are nice looking guns and should be fine as DMRs, but I never owned one of those. And then there are the less common ones. Aug, FN Fal, Galil, SVD, etc.

Fair enough! I've been looking at the polarstar site. They mention the A&k Sr-25? I suppose what I'm trying to say is are the polarstar engines compatible with most guns as a drop in replacement?

Why would you want a polar star engine in a DMR anyway? A correctly built aeg gearbox is more than sufficient and will maintain its fps if done properly, the only reason for a polar star is that you're gonna spam the shit out of it, kind of negating the designated marksman rifle aspect of it

Why would you want a polar star engine in a DMR anyway? A correctly built aeg gearbox is more than sufficient and will maintain its fps if done properly, the only reason for a polar star is that you're gonna spam the sh*t out of it, kind of negating the designated marksman rifle aspect of it

Very true but it's based purely on the concept rather than end goal if that makes sense? My local sites ask for no dmr "spamming" so that's not really an issue! I've seen a couple that have been done the hpa way and they're stunning!

• Root Admin

HPA rigged GBBR for the best trigger response. WA is a good place to start or GHK.

Even a decent GBBR that isn't tapped is alright so long as the internals are up to scratch and the mags and gas are decent. Cooldown isn't a huge issue on semi so getting the fps consistent can be done with reletive ease.

Add a flat hop to the mix and you're golden.

• Supporters

Lots of bollocks in this thread.

I'd say an M4 base is ideal, there are a lot of after market hop units that fit, the Fusion Engine can be installed with minimal effort and then you can make it look how you want as well as perform how you want.

The Fusion Engine's strongest suit is that it's consistent to within 1fps and doesn't suffer a trigger response hit when you ramp the power up.

Frankly, if you're blowing the best part of £700 on a Polarstar set up and you aren't making a DMR out of it, then you're just wasting the money. An AEG can cope with all other build types just as well, if you're looking for accuracy and range then P* blows everything non-HPA out of the water.

HPA is all about the shot to shot consistency, if you're buying one to spam it like a pleb then you're doing it wrong.

A mate of mine built a P* DMR using an AR base, he built the gun around the Fusion Engine rather than buying a base gun though.

The thing's a fucking beast, puts spring snipers to utter shame.

He's got some videos on YouTube, channel's called TheManCave I think. I'd link you but I'm on my phone.

I would personally advise against an SR25 base, because they're a 7.62 platform they traditionally have either an extended V2 gearbox and a standard hop, or a standard gearbox and an extended hop.

You can only get standard length V2 versions of the Fusion Engine, so you have to make up the rest of the space with the hop unit.

Either by getting a dedicated long hop unit - the G&G SR25 one is the only one I'm aware of - or by modding a standard hop to fit the larger space.

The former massively limits your hop unit options, whilst the latter opens you up to a world of arse pain with regard to making your modded unit properly air tight.

So just using an M4 base, where you can fit the Fusion Engine and choose from a massive range of high end, after market hop units, makes it all a lot easier.

• Root Admin

Quite right. GBB, be it through Daytona, PolarStar or any other is the way to go. I've had success with my setup, but it cost me nearly as much as HPA when all was said and done, and was a proper PITA for months.

M4s are easy to come by and rather adaptable. Just do it right and don't slap a cheapo scope onto a 10" and call it a DMR because you'll look a bit of a nonce.

Any excuse to post: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img909/4519/A8PaPr.jpg

Lots of bollocks in this thread.

I'd say an M4 base is ideal, there are a lot of after market hop units that fit, the Fusion Engine can be installed with minimal effort and then you can make it look how you want as well as perform how you want.

The Fusion Engine's strongest suit is that it's consistent to within 1fps and doesn't suffer a trigger response hit when you ramp the power up.

Frankly, if you're blowing the best part of £700 on a Polarstar set up and you aren't making a DMR out of it, then you're just wasting the money. An AEG can cope with all other build types just as well, if you're looking for accuracy and range then P* blows everything non-HPA out of the water.

HPA is all about the shot to shot consistency, if you're buying one to spam it like a pleb then you're doing it wrong.

A mate of mine built a P* DMR using an AR base, he built the gun around the Fusion Engine rather than buying a base gun though.

The thing's a f*cking beast, puts spring snipers to utter shame.

He's got some videos on YouTube, channel's called TheManCave I think. I'd link you but I'm on my phone.

I would personally advise against an SR25 base, because they're a 7.62 platform they traditionally have either an extended V2 gearbox and a standard hop, or a standard gearbox and an extended hop.

You can only get standard length V2 versions of the Fusion Engine, so you have to make up the rest of the space with the hop unit.

Either by getting a dedicated long hop unit - the G&G SR25 one is the only one I'm aware of - or by modding a standard hop to fit the larger space.

The former massively limits your hop unit options, whilst the latter opens you up to a world of arse pain with regard to making your modded unit properly air tight.

So just using an M4 base, where you can fit the Fusion Engine and choose from a massive range of high end, after market hop units, makes it all a lot easier.

It was through watching The ManCave vids that made me want to do this ;)

Can I also ask, as I'm still trying to get my head round Polarstar, as I am aiming at a gun that will be semi only, what would be the most suitable one to use? Obviously I don't need burst control etc...

Does/has your friend made public his set-up?

• Supporters

Actually amazed that nobody has posted this link yet: http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/43-longrange-aegs/892-holy-grail-building-your-dmr-aeg.html

There does seem to be two schools of thought on DMRs in airsoft; boost the fps and lock to semi on ANY gun you like and call it a DMR or use an actual DMR style RIF and do the same thing. Personally I fall into the latter camp. I can't see why you want to "DMR" an MP7 but some do so there you have it. Plenty of sites seem to have a lower FPS limit for semi locked AEGs than for bolt action sniper rifles so you need to decide if the slightly better range is worth the loss of being able to auto the crap out of someone that really needs it lay down suppressive fire.

Actually amazed that nobody has posted this link yet: http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/43-longrange-aegs/892-holy-grail-building-your-dmr-aeg.html

There does seem to be two schools of thought on DMRs in airsoft; boost the fps and lock to semi on ANY gun you like and call it a DMR or use an actual DMR style RIF and do the same thing. Personally I fall into the latter camp. I can't see why you want to "DMR" an MP7 but some do so there you have it. Plenty of sites seem to have a lower FPS limit for semi locked AEGs than for bolt action sniper rifles so you need to decide if the slightly better range is worth the loss of being able to auto the crap out of someone that really needs it lay down suppressive fire.

Thanks Lozart, I'll have a good read of the thread you've linked too! Here's a link to the DMR that I've seen on youtube, it's the one that Ed has mentioned. This is sort of my inspiration behind the whole thing. Yes, I agree that a DMR should look like a "DMR" so I won't be doing anything mental with my MP7 lol!

• Supporters

what would be the most suitable one to use? Obviously I don't need burst control etc...

Does/has your friend made public his set-up?

I don't follow? The most suitable what to use? Fusion Engine? Or fire selector set up?

You can set P*s to semi only. And obviously you'd want the Fusion Engine that'll fit the body you choose for the gun.

Fraser hasn't made build public in an open forum, but it's not a secret. He's posted the set up in the comments of his videos a handful of times.

I don't follow? The most suitable what to use? Fusion Engine? Or fire selector set up?

You can set P*s to semi only. And obviously you'd want the Fusion Engine that'll fit the body you choose for the gun.

Fraser hasn't made build public in an open forum, but it's not a secret. He's posted the set up in the comments of his videos a handful of times.

Sorry dude, as you can probably tell i'm new to P* so i'm still trying to learn about them! What I meant was, what is the best one to use if I intend to make a DMR? I take it that they all come with the same electronic fire selector tech and it's a case of selecting single shot? As I don't need high ROF I take it I don't need to go for the top of the line Engine? I found the build list your friend has used:

P* FE V2 Gen 3

407mm Miracel Barrel

G&G Green Bucking

H Nub, Prowin hop

Hey, I feel building a polarstar DMR would be a bit of a waste of money, but I am all for a HPA setup. There is a polish site called mancraft offering a semi auto HPA system for about £160. From what I have seen this is as consitant as a polarstar (amped airsoft video on youtube I think), just with the right regulator and is dead silent too.

If you are looking for a DMR base then I would definatly recommend the A&K SR25 - a great body to build from. A tip would be to look at some polish sites to find it as last time I saw you could get it for £160. Combined with a scope, and harris type bipod you have the externals done. Another plus is the rails as they allow you to lock down the outer barrel. It is the gun used in this thread: http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/43-longrange-aegs/892-holy-grail-building-your-dmr-aeg.html

Once you have got the A&K SR25 and installed the mancraft engine, you only have the hop system left to go. Firstly, you don't need to spend a fortune for a great hop unit, I would recomend the lonex. Seondly the bucking, again I would go for the lonex 70d bucking as in my opinion it does the job better than any other bucking.

Now this is were it gets complicated, you could go full out with ER hop's, LBR mod and PDI barrels, but in the most part these are for those who are trying to squeeze every liitle bit of peformance out of there DMR and are very difficult to install, however the peformance is phenominal (e.g. headshots at 300ft +). You proberbly don't want to go down this road.

What I would reccomend is a Promithius 6.20 inner barrel, it uses an extend flat hop hop system and an wide bore, it is also relitivly cost effective (don't use the bucking it comes with, just flat hop the lonex). A HSA barrel stabilising kit, very easy to install drop in upgrade and EM nub for the flat hop.

This would result in great peformance, with only very easy modifications needed and the build is quite cheap, this is an estimated build total:

Mancraft HPA system £160

A&K SR25 £150

Lonex chamber and bucking £20

Promithius 6.20 barrel £35

HSA EM nub and BSK £20

Nuprol 0.43g BB's - watch out you will get insane joule creep.

Total: £400 - The price of a polarstar engine.

Of course you need a reg and tank - for this I recomend a ninja SPL tank and a ninja regulator (import these from america)

Also if you wanted to go down the route which involves heavy modding, contact me as I can do all of it.

Hope this helps,

Charlie.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.