AW338: Ares or ASG

DJsnipe

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Since I can't find the gas version of either the Ares or ASG AW338 at a US dealer, I am looking at the spring versions of both the Ares AW338, ASG Proline AW.338 . As a far as I can tell the ASG IS the Ares with "trades" and cheaper. Is there any advantage to paying a bit more and getting the Ares over the ASG. I know they are both "wall hangers." and I plan on using it as a back yard plinker. Thanks for any input.

(Hopefully this is the right forum, if not, mods please move.)

If you are after a backkgarden plinker, have a look at this thread and view the original posters links.

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/26256-looking-for-a-well-spring-sniper-in-edinburgh-area/

What you don't want is an ASG or ARES if you plan to upgrade in the future.

• Supporters

Since I can't find the gas version of either the Ares or ASG AW338 at a US dealer, I am looking at the spring versions of both the Ares AW338, ASG Proline AW.338 . As a far as I can tell the ASG IS the Ares with "trades" and cheaper. Is there any advantage to paying a bit more and getting the Ares over the ASG. I know they are both "wall hangers." and I plan on using it as a back yard plinker. Thanks for any input.

(Hopefully this is the right forum, if not, mods please move.)

Both are the same gun, just as you say the ASG has the trades on it.

The loading mech is finicky- ask Airsoft-Ed about that as he had one.

What you don't want is an ASG or ARES if you plan to upgrade in the future.

They're not that bad for upgrades, they take VSR pistons, spring guides, springs, cylinder heads and buckings and the trigger and cylinder has complete upgrade sets from PDI.

Both are the same gun, just as you say the ASG has the trades on it.

The loading mech is finicky- ask Airsoft-Ed about that as he had one.

They're not that bad for upgrades, they take VSR pistons, spring guides, springs, cylinder heads and buckings and the trigger and cylinder has complete upgrade sets from PDI.

Same style, however not the same sold rifle.

They are bad for upgrades and repairs, if you only require a specific part you need to pay for the set which is in most places, +£100. Which is more than the rifle is worth.

• Supporters

Same style, however not the same sold rifle.

They are bad for upgrades and repairs, if you only require a specific part you need to pay for the set which is in most places, +£100. Which is more than the rifle is worth.

Not exactly the same, the ASG has the trades on it, but in essence it's the same. Same internals etc, ASG is a re-branding company (much like Cybergun and Umarex) and their aw.338 is the ares.

I said they're not bad for upgrades- not that they're particularly great but not bad, which is true, they're not terrible. Your comment on £100+ being more than the rifle is worth is a bit odd though as for any half decent sniper rifle you'll be spending a few hundred pounds on upgrades anyway. If you buy decent parts (PDI etc) then you won't be needing to replace parts and in the eventuality that you did, I'm sure they'd sell you them separately. Their customer service is good, if not quite perfect English and they sell parts separately for the majority of the other guns they supply parts for.

@OP As it is though this is all a moot point though as you're after a back garden plinker so upgrading is not necessary and either will do the job, and the ASG is the cheaper so the one to go for.

I'd advise reading Ed's thread on the gun here: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/14275-comprehensive-ares-aw-338-spring-version-msr-00678-review/

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.