Posting with Royal Mail

Redneck

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Tell them you're shipping drugs next time, you'll probably get less hassle.

Serious note: I've shipped RIFs with Royal Mail/Parcelforce and had no issues like this, even after declaring it as an airsoft rifle. As long as you don't have a battey in it they don't care.

If a battery is included it should be connected. Declare it as sports equipment as previously stated. Parcel Force / Royal Mail are the only carrier that will accept them.

Epic! I love "royal fail" they are morons sometimes. Nothing better than admitting you like "toys" infront of two girls too lol smooooth :)

Not had any problem posting RIFs with Parcelforce48, declared as such and insured, but for Posting purposes you could say it is a LOW POWERED AIR WEAPON as these are equally ok to send this way. Its batteries that are the main issue. PF's guidelines say only NEW NiMh/NiCad unopened batteries in ORIGINAL RETAIL PACKAGING can be sent, though used Lithium (ie LiPo) batteries can be sent* AS LONG AS CONNECTED to the device they are sent with.

*As long as not more than 4 cells / 2 batteries rated not higher than 20Wh per cell or 100Wh per battery, and there are restrictions on the amount of Lithium per battery.

Gas powered RIFs / IFs are a whole different story, people send them without problem but technically they are prohibited due to containing pressurized vessels or vessels CAPABLE of being pressurized ie GBB Magazines etc, there have been cases of GBB's being destroyed with no insurance payout / compensation but they are thankfully rare. Retailers sending new goods however seem exempt from such restrictions.

Basically, PF's line is you've sent something that they INTERPRET to be dangerous goods then they have the right to destroy it. INTERPRETATION is the key word here. Its worth picking up PF's Dangerous Goods leaflet which has more information, ref RMDG1A, in your local Post Office (above info taken from copy I have dated 15th July 2013, there may be a more up to date version with changes). Be aware also virtually all other couriers use the same or very similar guidelines.

i sent a gbb through rm once, they took it and said it was real. i filed a complaint and compensation form i just got back basically " we thought it was real so thats why we did it. and we arent giving you shit for it" so i refuse to use them from now on!

I send a box with 1000 cockroaches in it, by royal mail once, the person at the desk asked "will they get out?" I replied monotone and completely honestly "only if you fail to deliver it in 14 days", citing it would be cruel to pack animals in a container they could not eventually escape from when the food ran out.

Never the less it was suitable for posting.

EDIT:

Incase anyone is wondering, when shipping insects general practice is box within a box. :)

Edited by Sacarathe

I send a box with 1000 cockroaches in it, by royal mail once, the person at the desk asked "will they get out?" I replied monotone and completely honestly "only if you fail to deliver it in 14 days", citing it would be cruel to pack animals in a container they could not eventually escape from when the food ran out.

Never the less it was suitable for posting.

EDIT:

Incase anyone is wondering, when shipping insects general practice is box within a box. :)

Mind if I ask why were you sending cockroaches...? Scientific purposes? In our lab we send and receive drosophila.. but never cockroaches.

Mind if I ask why were you sending cockroaches...? Scientific purposes? In our lab we send and receive drosophila.. but never cockroaches.

The person receiving them did work in a lab (at one of the welsh universities), though as I understand it their research was geared at insects rather than general biology/genetics etc.

They were just doing me a favour though, I didn't get any money for them beyond costs.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.