Why does everyone love Glocks so much?

Lozart

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Its all about the safety for me. Seen too many people pull out their sidearm and then realise the safety is on and get hit in return. So I have vowed to stick with double action/decock and trigger safety guns just because the negligent discharge impact is so low. I prefer lightweight since its a secondary and having medium sized hands I prefer not to get anything really big nor anything with very large amounts of sculpting. I do care about it being a military weapon to an extent but I care less about that now than I did. I bought a KWA ATP after accuracy tests of multiple copies of the pistol showed its accuracy to be stunning.

I guess I chose my M9 with similar reasoning (apart from the safety). I have rather large hands so Glocks just don't feel right for me (I've tried a few and I have to admit that the auto on a G18 is HILARIOUSLY good fun). I was using a 1911 MEU but my fat fingers in gloves struggled to not ND due to the incredibly light trigger (beavertail grip safety so no worries there).

The issue I come across most often though is that because I run my pistol with a torch attached it's hard work trying to find a decent holster that isn't "real steel" and therefore massively expensive. Not being a Glock means there's less clone accessories out there (despite the M9 being the currrent US Army sidearm). Maybe it's the age of the average airsofter coming in to play? Younger players - smaller hands?

• Supporters

I could try to get you a Safariland holster? ;)

• Supporters

Safariland for M9s are cheap as chips on ebay, as long as you're using a light that's the same dimensions as a surefire x300/x200 you can pick one up for less than $60 from the states.

I can confirm that.

• Supporters

I could try to get you a Safariland holster? ;)

I use a safariland clone now, thanks though.

• Supporters

Failing that, get a kydex one made for your exact setup, shouldn't be much more than £35 ish.

Been looking at one from HW but they've not responded to my enquiry yet.

the thing about any side arm is that they are usually supposed to be small and light weight so that they can be concealed easily or drawn easily. the glock pistols are very good for this which makes them ideal for alot of forces. but yes you probably will have issue with them if you have very big hands and probably will with most side arms

• Supporters

I do find safarilands to be quite bulky though.

• Supporters

I have one because they suit the British Army load out, when I bought it I was a very firm Sig P226 fan - because their ergonomics are amazing, all the features you'd want are all within reach of your thumb without you needing to shift your grip.

However, I was sold on the Glock almost immediately because of more or less one thing.

The grip angle.

Before handling a Glock this was never something I'd given any thought to, but holding one made me realise it's quite an important feature.

The Glock has a pretty darn steeply angled pistol grip, traditionally pistols are a lot more upright.

My hand just suits the Glock angle a lot better, with Sigs and M1911s I find myself pointing the muzzle down a little because my hand and wrist wants to relax a little.

The Glock is just natural point and shoot. Suits me perfectly.

Moving on from that though, they're so simplistic. Function over form, keep it simple stupid etc.

That's the Glock mentality I think.

There's no safety, decocker, trigger's single action only. Makes the mechanism a lot simpler, fewer parts means fewer things to go wrong, easier to fix when they do, ease of use and popularity make parts easy to find.

They're just great lol, I love the look too, personally.

For all the people saying the grip is small, have you tried the larger back straps on the Gen4?

• Supporters

It sounds like a "you" problem ;)

There's a lot of those :-(

That said, I've never been one to follow the crowd. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's automatically the best. I don't have an iPhone, I've never owned an Astra or a Mondeo and when I was looking for a first motorbike I chose a slab side gsxr750 over a cbr600 (look it up).

The same holds true for my airsoft choices. Despite having held and used several models of glock I just don't like them and yet there are a lot of people I've spoken with (not so much here to be honest) that just seemed to have bought a glock because "it's what you do". I have an m9 because I like full size pistols, I always look for a sidearm with a rail because I play mostly at the malls so I like to have a torch on it. That forces you down the route of a very restrictive holster choice of kydex or a safariland unless you're happy paying more for your holster than the toy gun you're putting in it.

Yes, it's a "me" thing but I've never perceived being an individual to be a problem before. The world needs more people with a bit of free thinking and less sheep... ;-)

• Supporters

I agree; I didn't even know a lot of people used Glocks in airsoft; I just asked my shooting instructor for my upcoming class last year what gun we would be using, and he said the Glock 17, so that's what I got, so I could get used to holding it. And I love it.

• Supporters

Maybe part of the perception is that there's SOOOOOO many different models of Glock on sale? Every "pistols" section seems littered with them...

• Supporters

after reading this thread, i am going to have to get me a glock :P:lol::lol::lol:B)

:rolleyes:

I have one because they suit the British Army load out, when I bought it I was a very firm Sig P226 fan - because their ergonomics are amazing, all the features you'd want are all within reach of your thumb without you needing to shift your grip.

However, I was sold on the Glock almost immediately because of more or less one thing.

The grip angle.

Before handling a Glock this was never something I'd given any thought to, but holding one made me realise it's quite an important feature.

The Glock has a pretty darn steeply angled pistol grip, traditionally pistols are a lot more upright.

My hand just suits the Glock angle a lot better, with Sigs and M1911s I find myself pointing the muzzle down a little because my hand and wrist wants to relax a little.

The Glock is just natural point and shoot. Suits me perfectly.

Moving on from that though, they're so simplistic. Function over form, keep it simple stupid etc.

That's the Glock mentality I think.

There's no safety, decocker, trigger's single action only. Makes the mechanism a lot simpler, fewer parts means fewer things to go wrong, easier to fix when they do, ease of use and popularity make parts easy to find.

They're just great lol, I love the look too, personally.

For all the people saying the grip is small, have you tried the larger back straps on the Gen4?

When I hold a glock, it points up a little for me instead. So yea grip angle matters.

I read somewhere that the glock is not like by some SF because of this - when you hold it too firmly (due to stress) it naturally points high. The book was quite old though, so views may have changed.

I'm a fan of simple designs. I like really clean, minimalistic products, so naturally I like the look of Glocks- I haven't gotten round to buying one yet, however I have quite big hands so some models don't feel natural enough for me.

I was looking at a G18 for the versatility of both semi and fully auto, so the natural sidestep for a full size select-fire pistol is the M93 Raffica- the M92Fs crazy burst firing brother.

I'd rather choose the KWA M93R because my wallet will hurt a lot less, despite costing more there are less external mods and parts i would end up going crazy with :D

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.