Does BB weight affect/amplify wear and tear on airsoft guns.

Sacarathe

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ignoring the properties of heavier ammo that cause the exiting projectiles to have more force/momentum. Will using BBs above the 0.2g standard cause damage to the guns above the normal wear of 0.2g?

This does not really affect me, in fact it doesnt, but I have been doing a LOT of research on AEGs and I have not seen much on this aspect of using heavier BBs, though I did find a few threads on forums talking about not going above 0.2g in Tokyo Marui AEGs, not beyond that nothing.

I very much doubt that weight would have any effect on an airsoft gun in the manner you enquired about. There are far greater forces present in all types of airsoft weapons, be they spring, aeg or gbb, in the mechanisms that create the blast of air or gas to propel the BB and a difference of 0.2 of a gram between the standard and the heaviest BB isn't going to add any significant amount to those forces already in play. You "might" get additional wear on the hop rubber, but those are service items anyway and would expect to be changed at intervals.

• Supporters

i can see your point , but when the heaviest bb will only be round 0.5g, i cannot see it doing much damage.

that said i can see the hop rubber could wear out ever so slightly faster as it has to do move work etc.

Stands to reason it will increase wear and tear. 0.2g vs 0.25g is an increase of 25%, and condsidering how many rounds are fired in a full day of airsoft img that's got to wear barrels etc out quicker.

• Supporters

It's not the BBs doing the wear to the gun. The only way it can affect it is that a lighter BB will exit the barrel sooner, and if the piston hits the cylinder head after the BB exits, and with heavier BBs it would hit it before it exits, then it will cause more wear. So there is a possibility that lighter BBs will cause more wear in a very specific setup.

Heavier BBs causing damage? I don't think so.

You can even use 0.43g bbs in cheapo LPEGs hooked up on 11.1v lipos and they'll cause no further wear although good luck trying to get more range out of them.

Not as far as I have seen. BBs seem to do three types of damage to guns:

1) They leave residue in the barrel that needs to be cleaned off, this is true of all BBs and its to do with the waxy coating they have.

2) They splinter or break and leave pieces about. Very rare, normally only an issue with using 0.12g BBs but it can happen.

3) The BB repeatedly getting spun back by the bucking rubber will wear the rubber down.

I don't see why a heavier BB would do anything other than increase the wear and tear on the bucking, and even then I suspect the difference would be marginal.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.