BaoFeng UV-5R Help

SgtTalbert

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking to order this today/tomorrow for the weekend.

I currently have the Motorola TLKR T6 which has started cutting out and also doesn't seem as clear as others who are using the Motorola XTNI radios.

However, my budget doesn't stretch to them unfortunately, however, a few people on this forum have recommended the BaoFeng's.

This is what I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007HH6RR4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0WS0ZPH675YDQDXKKY8J&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455333147&pf_rd_i=468294

I was going to do the 'buy the frequently bought together package' which is:

Now, my questions are:

My Current Motorola's are preprogrammed 1-8 and the sub channels 1-16

I understand I will need to program the BaoFengs - If I follow this guide http://ukradioscanning.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=328 will I be able to switch to channel 5 or 8 or 2 on the fly to match the other players/marshals if needed OR does it already come preprogrammed and the radio just has the ability to 'program' channels manually?

Last question....

Am I also able to use any 2.5mm 2pin adaptor or is it BaoFeng specific? I'd like to use a PTT etc...

Sorry for basic questions, do not know anything about radios at all!

Thanks

Tal

You will need to programme the Baofeng for it to work with the channels you want to use. You can programme them manually through the handset, which is surprisingly easy, or you can use the USB cable and use a piece of software called CHIRP. Personally I would recommend you learn how to programme it manually so can make changes out in the field.

Baofengs use the Kenwood 2 pin for PTT, which I believe is a 3.5mm and a 2.5mm

Hope that helps

I'm not the radio police, but if you dont know much about radios, I think its only fair to point out that you are breaking the law if you run these Baofengs on PMR446 frequencies which I think is what you are referring to.

They are good radios and we use them at our milsims on licenced frequencies, but they are too powerful (even on low power) for PMR446 licence-free channels where the maximum permissable power is 0.5W.

OFCOM govern all this in the UK and if they choose to, they can fine you a lot of money. They probably have better things to do, but they have the kit to find you and if the licence coffers are a bit empty, they might just have an airsofting purge one day. Lot of airsofters using Baofengs on an advertised skirmish day - easy pickings for them I would imagine.

I'm not the radio police, but if you dont know much about radios, I think its only fair to point out that you are breaking the law if you run these Baofengs on PMR446 frequencies which I think is what you are referring to.

They are good radios and we use them at our milsims on licenced frequencies, but they are too powerful (even on low power) for PMR446 licence-free channels where the maximum permissable power is 0.5W.

OFCOM govern all this in the UK and if they choose to, they can fine you a lot of money. They probably have better things to do, but they have the kit to find you and if the licence coffers are a bit empty, they might just have an airsofting purge one day. Lot of airsofters using Baofengs on an advertised skirmish day - easy pickings for them I would imagine.

Ah right OK, did not realise!

If that is the case, can you recommend a decent alternative please?

Also, are 2 pin connections better than 1 pin or does it not matter?

I dont think it matters about pins.

I have both radios with one and two pins.

For PMR446 I would use Motorola, but they are all built to a budget to some extent.

If Im playing in a fire team where we are manoeuvring together, I use my Motorola T8 on PMR446.

Binatone used to have bad rep but I havent used them recently.

The only problem with PMR446 is they are useless if you are working with team members and you are more than 100m or so apart in woodland or where there are buildings..

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.